Golf Club Memberships | FerrariChat

Golf Club Memberships

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by VWH3RD, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    One of my passions is playing Golf. I travel all over to play Great courses.

Wondering what Memberships the F-chat community has among us.

I belong to 2. Galloway National and Tavistock CC both in NJ.

2. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I belong to the Ceder Rock Country Club in the NC mountains. My grand father was a member of the Agusta National.

DrS

3. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have a question for all the golfers out there. How hard is it to learn? Golf seems like fun, also it seems like something that may be good to golf with people you do business with. The most expeirnece iove had with golf is driving ranges and im pretty bad.
    There is a golf course on the street i live on. Its not big, i think its 9 holes with 2 tees fot each hole. Theres another one the next town over, but the membership to that one is i think $600k a year. It belongs to donald trump.

4. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    It is not hard as long as you dont mind sucking as bad as I do.

At the Agustia course, i was asked to use tees for every shot I made!!!

DrS

5. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    I picked up golf several years ago and I did'nt find it to hard to learn. I dont belong to any clubs but i golf a several times a year when i can. Definitly keep practicing at the driving range. Get your swing and motion set. I would start at a nice 9 hole course to. Get acustomed to everything and if possible golf with some friends who have more experience than you. Thats what i did and it helped and I learned a lot more as we played along. Its a much better sport to play than watch.

6. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

haha oh ya and always try and replace your divetts. (sp)

7. Bad Chariot

Bad Chariot Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Reading, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Tim,

The difficulty of learning the game depends on several things. Your athletism, your ability to learn something totally foreign, & your willingness to practice.

The best thing I recommend is to take a series of lessons and see if you see any progress for once you do...you will be hooked. 2 years ago I really loved golf but was a 20.6 HDCP (so mid 90's shooter). I took 2 lessons and dropped to a 12.3 HDCP in 3 mths. It was then that my addiction to golf hit an all time high. I realized what I was doing wrong before and now have a good foundation to work on.

I would not recommend you consider joining a club until you have 40-50 18 hole rounds under your belt. This amount of rounds will really let you know if you want to make this bloody game a part of your life! There are some great golf messageboards out there for research on equipment. I am a frequent contributor on www.4gea.com, www.golfopinions.com, & www.freegolfinfo.com. I like 4GEA the best.

Best of Luck

Michael

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I've belonged to Northland CC in Duluth, MN for the past 10 years. Northland is 100+ years old and a very respected Donald Ross desgin. We've been one of the top 5 courses in MN for years and I think we're rated in the top 100 classical courses in the country.
    In those 10 years I've been club champion 4 times and this years MN State Am is being play here so it will be a great chance for me to win a state championship.
    The fact that it's in a metro area of less than 200K people it's a great deal.... even though we can only play maybe 6-7 months a year. Compared to some of the comprable courses in the near by twin cities of Mpls/ St Paul it's an absolute steal.

9. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    Golf is a fabulous game that anyone can enjoy, regardelss of skill level. I agree with what michael said above, dont invest serious amounts of money until you know that your serious, then go out and blow a fortune on clubs, meberships, balls, etc, etc. Getting back to the topic of the thread, i am a member at set of courses in Ontario called Golf North, and also play quite a bit at Wistle Bear and Grey Silo, both are phenomenal courses.

Also, a question for you North Carolina golfers, Im coming to NC to golf in the spring and cant decide where to play, ive heard good things about Pinehurst, but i know theres more than just that
    Thanks,

MD

10. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    The three rules of playing a decent round of golf:

1) Slow down your swing.
    2) Slow down your swing.
    3) Slow down your swing.

11. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    If you go to Pinehurst, try to spend a little extra money and actually get on the good courses. I forget all of the numbers but I think we played on something like 1, 5 and 7 maybe? And they were not very exciting - more like a round at the local muni. Try to get on 2 for sure and some of the other ones, maybe 8 is good too? I'm sure if you do a little research you can find the good ones.

Also I would advise you to check out Tanglewood - it is near Winston Salem in a state park or something of the sort. It is cheap (30-40 bucks I think) and they have played a few senior tour events there. Beautiful course.

12. pdiack

pdiack Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    I'm not from the area, but while I was there on a golf vacation I played a course not too far from Pinehurst (maybe 15 mins?) called The Pit. Not too crowded, very good course layout and in great shape.

13. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    Thanks for the advice guys, I geuss I've got some decisions to make now
    MD

14. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    But don't forget to accelerate through the ball!:D

I am a member at English Turn CC. here in New Orleans. This year will be the last year that the PGA Tour stops in.

Next year it will be at a TPC course they are bulding nearby. It is going to be 7800+ yards from the tips. OUCH!

15. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    My Dad's a member of Overbrook CC in Bryn Mawr PA. I'm not a huge golf fan as the game is a little on the slow side for me. But, I like to kill some time on the driving range.
    BTW Mr. Hill I ate at Tavistock about a month ago and had a pretty good meal. It was pretty dark out so I really didn't get a chance to see the course. How does it compare to Galloway?
    Erik