Squealing noise coming from transfer gear area | FerrariChat

Squealing noise coming from transfer gear area

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by barcheta, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    I just got my 85 QV. Drove it 590 miles from down south to my house with no problems. Put it to bed. I got up started it the next morning and now I have this squeal. I do not think it is the throwout bearing as the noise changes with the engine speed and not by depressing the clutch. The clutch engages fine with no binding in any gears.. It is definitely not any of the belts, or alt or cam bearings. It is definitely coming from the location of the lower transfer gear area. I think it may be low on on gear oil. I want to check, possibly add. Does any one know the hex size for the top of the transfer gear assembly to add fluid? Also, has anyone experienced this problem before?

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    12mm Allen wrench. Good luck....that noise sounds expensive.... :-(

BTW, open the top of the diff fill port, then fill from the transfer case until it comes out the diff. You are now full.

Here is some details on the procedure:
    http://www.cameragear.com/ec/gearbox.htm

3. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    You might want to consider taking the transfer case cover off and inspecting the transmission input shaft. On the earlier 308s there was a big circlip on the shaft which could fail and allow the shaft to walk out and machine a nice hole in the transfer case cover. It was fixed with a shim that had a recess the circlip fit into to keep it from falling off. Its possible the circlip or shim failed.

Worth a look, this is an expensive repair.

4. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    I added some mobil 1 gear oil to the two locations and it did quiet the noise for a bit. I think the bearing behind the lower transfer gear is bad. Can someone lend me some assistance in R/R the bad bearing?

5. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Turned out to be a bad T/O bearing... I now have a new clutch and maybe some trouble-free miles for awhile. Thanks to those who responded!

Jim

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Oh Man! That is some really good news.

Reading about the symptoms gave me that sinking feeling just hearing about the possibility of pulling the transmission etc..........I hope I never have that problem on mine, at least for a while