winos chime in | FerrariChat

winos chime in

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by thadbrown, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    hey guys
    do you have any recomendations for good bottle of wine that are affordable? I am trying to broaden my horizons any suggestions would be helpful. right now i am randomly choosing bottles off the shelf and i have had hits and misses. give me some input. thanks
    thad

2. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    One I really like is Antinori Santa Christina. It is 90% sangiovese/10% Merlot. the years pre 02 are the best I have heard. Apparently 02 was a bad year for that region in Tuscany. It can be found under $10 a bottle, I have seen it for as much as $150 a bottle at hotels. Really fruity, milder than a lot of wines I have tried. Good with burgers or steak.

The forums at www.wines.com are great. There is a lot of knowledge over there.

3. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Trader Joe's 3 buck chuck. :) definitely the cheapest drinkable stuff there is. I'd say it tastes like $15 at least. See if you can get some.

4. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    not the cheapest, but one of the best wines I have ever had.

www.testarossa.com

Owned by a really cool redhead.......:)

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Another "On Topic" wine would be Ferrari-Carrano. Not a bad chardonnay, actually.

DL

6. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan

It's 2 buck chuck pal.

Bob

7. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I am drinking even now!!!!

DrS

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    DrS,

How is the scotch hunt?

DL

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Rich: you and the dead-heads, I mean, redheads... :D

--Dan

10. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Found!!!

Right here beside me!!!

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Wild Horse Cabernet. Paso Robles. 1999 if you can find it. Should be under $20.

12. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Erik,

How's the vino selection in China? When I was in Shanghai last year there wasn't much of a selection. They also served "reds" chilled. Interesting.

As for an inexpensive selection of decent wine, go check out Costco.

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Hard to go wrong with a Côtes du Rhône. More consistent than other French wines, as conditions in are usually hot and sunny, but always on slopy, granite soil which holds huge volumes of grapes. Result: Thick & robust wine which is plentiful & cheap. Set a bottle by an open window & let the evening chill it for a bit, then kill the night and bottle with a friend. She'll thank you in the morning.

14. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    It sucks... outside of California they charge more. It really breaks the bank!

15. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

"Orvietto Classico" is a #2 white wine from Italy.

It's about $12 CAD ($9 USD) and I haven't found one that tastes better in the last 10 years since I found this one.

FWIW........the fairer sex is also very complimentary when I serve it as an accompaniment to dinner......or for more nefarious purposes afterwards !!

16. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

Hey Thad-

If you are looking for some nice wine that you can buy copious amounts of to serve at a party (and not break the bank) go get some Yellowtail Cabernet Soveignon. Very nice taste, just a touch dry... very good for the discount price of $8 dollars a bottle or so.

Enjoy!

Nick

17. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    it looks like i have a lot of drinking to do. damn, that sucks :) thanks for all the reccomendations

thad

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Depends were you are. Some of the western hotels have some of the good stuff, and the mark up is actually less than NYC. The local stuff is not very good (and the local liquor is a killer for the uninitiated). Remember, I'm not in real China, we still have a Ritz Carelton in town. Now I have been there for dinner and seen a table next to us mix Petrus and Pepsi. We about fell out of our chairs laughing at that one.

I'm used to cold red wine, I fly international business alot. I was on a United flight back to SFO last year. A so called somollier next to me suggested a Medoc that was on the list. I told him it would be so cold that he couldn't tell the difference between any of them. The stewardess played along. I think I came home with an extra $50 that trip...

19. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Kenwood Jack London Vinyard Zinfandel / $18-20

My favorite. Goes very well with steak and fish, really anything.

20. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

from napa, any variety from stag's leap or cake bread, or plump jack vinyards. any will be ejoyed fully.

pcb

21. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Right now I'm enjoying an excellent $8.50 bottle of Italian wine (hey... this is Fchat). 2001 Trentino Merlot. Awesome stuff.

22. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I was in Napa last week and bought way too much wine. The FedEx man isn't very happy with me this week. He delivered my 5th case today. I went overboard at Testarossa and Cakebread and Stags Leap. I'm having a Testarossa pinot noir right now and it is fantastic! I'm guessing $35 or so a bottle.

23. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #23 PeterS, Mar 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Peter- that stuff is the BEST! Did you attend his tasting on his Sonoma Beach vineyard? It's right on the beach, literally in the sand!

Thad- a vineyard called Pepperwood Grove makes outstanding wines for $6-8/bottle. They are my bargian-choice. Absolutely no reason to buy crap when Pepperwood Grove exists.

Going up a bit; for one of my favrouite spicy Zins, for $10bux, get MonteVina's. This Amador county zin is nice and spicy, quite a nice kick. Good enough by itself, and even better with some already spicy food.

Bogle Vineyards makes an $11 Old Vine (make sure it's 'old vine!') Zin for about $11 which is deeper and darker.

I have to include Rafanelli Vineyards here. Their Zin is to die for. At $30-$35 or so a bottle it's not exactly dirt-cheap, but this wine may be the best Zin on the planet. It's my personal favrouite, at any price. (including the several $hundred offerings.)

Can you tell I like Zins?
    What am I drinking right now?

Seghesio Old Vine 2001 Zin. $28/bottle (I paid less, employee discount, though I don't work there.) This is a FANTASTIC very CLASSIC wine in an almost perfec textbook fassion. The first Zin ever to my knowledge to be on Wine Spectator's Top 100. It's very traditional, and very strong. Not always my thing, but if you want to open a bottle Dad will like, this is it.

In what may be the best "For the; I have great taste, but am a college student on a stiff budget" find ever, I have found the above Seghesio 92point Old Vine '01 Zin in half-bottle form for $13bux at a local store.

You cannot spend a better $13 on wine for you and your girlfriend on a given nite. Peroid.

Cambria's Pinot Noir is one of the best Pinos I've had. It's more intense and spicy than pinos tend towards, and it dosen't taste dirty! About $20 per bottle IIRC. (I have several cases.)

Antinori Santa Christina recomended below I can second. 90% sangiovase blend. I was turned onto this at a local resturant. Great with medium pasta dishes, needs about 20minuites though, so open it first thing, THEN set the table!

25. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Right now there is a glut of good red wines on the market. COSTCO has some excellent reds. I personally am very fond of Casillero Del Diablo an Excellent Chilean Red I tried in Brazil.