308 in.....a commuter rail station lot? | FerrariChat

308 in.....a commuter rail station lot?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Gatorrari, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    According to my records I took this photo in May, 1982, so this 308GTSi was obviously fairly new. I had seen this car for a number of weeks while driving home from my job at Grumman Aerospace. On every nice day the car was in clear view in the Bethpage Long Island Rail Road commuter rail station as I drove by on Stewart Avenue. So one day I decided to take a camera and take the car's portrait. I was especially taken by the (appropriate) license plate.

One day a few weeks later I was a little late leaving work and actually caught the car leaving the lot, so I followed at a safe distance, and fortunately the guy was driving the car sedately enough that I could keep pace. I followed him until he turned off from my route home, but I suspect he didn't live that much farther away. At least he was keeping the car's mileage down, but parking in an open commuter rail lot every day? That takes guts with a new F-car!

2. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Interesting comment Jim, the point being that not only did he drive the car, but he enjoyed it without fear. May we all be so lucky, as only a select few often fit into both buckets.

Thanks for the post!

3. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Great licence plate!

4. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    too trusting if you ask me!

5. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    like the parking sticker on the bumper, also that car next to him is pretty close, and with those big doors swinging open - ouch :)

6. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    There used to be a 308 in the Des Plains IL commuter lot a few years back. Hey, it's only a $25k car LOL. I see Lexus' and Mercedes all the time. But yes, a door ding on a Ferrari is a lot more expensive to fix. Plus, it would attract a lot of possably unwanted attention from jealous slobs.

Ken

7. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani

So true !

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I parked my 308 for years in a park and lock lot in NYC for years. I parked my TR for years at train station. My Maser is parked there now. I've never had a problem.

9. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    At one of my previous jobs, I worked at this factory in an industrial area of Vancouver (River Rd., Surrey). There was a large machine shop that I'd pass by every day and right in the front parking lot was a 308 GTS... It was still there even when I'd go home at 3am! Was always there, for the few years I was working at that job.

10. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have a friend that is a United States Senator and he left his Ferrari at an international airport long term parking lot. About a week later upon his return guess what no F-car i think it was a 512. They found his personalized plate in the slough down river from the airport.

Of course money being no object, it wasnt that big of a deal for him.