How Menasce got an Enzo (in Forza) | FerrariChat

How Menasce got an Enzo (in Forza)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Brian C. Stradale, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Interesting tidbit in this month's Forza on how Andrew's dad Eduardo Menasce managed to get an Enzo...

"I wrote to Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo," [Eduardo] said. "I explained to him my history with Ferrari, my passion, that I created the Ferrari Club in Argentina."

Its nice to hear that Ferrari does indeed award passion for Ferrari and involvement in the Ferrari community. Hey, Rob, if you ever have an extra mil laying around, a letter to Luca will probably get you on the list for the next supercar!! ;)

Andrew, have any "color" to add to the story?

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Cool...! i'll have to check it out...! Which month's issue is it...? i haven't picked up an issue of Forza in a while... Does Mr. Menasce have other Ferraris or has he had other Ferraris in the past that would be a detail of the "history" he's had with Ferrari...?

Very cool stuff... Congrats, Eduardo...

3. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Carbon, check the archives there should be lots of pics of Eduardo's Daytona, F40, Diablo 6.0, etc...

4. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Tyler, thanks... i had no idea... Cool stuff...

5. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    "i haven't picked up an issue of Forza in a while... "

DES - you of all people?????? :)

6. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, they're not free, you know...! An issue of Forza will actually make a difference in MY wallet...! :)

7. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    LOLOL good point my friend

8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Brian, I haven't received my new FORZA yet, what month is it?

Thanks,
    Tony

9. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i have the magazine, but can't find the article??

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sheesh, have to double check my Forza.

Kinda funny as I just got this week the "Prancing Horse" as well in which the guy (forgot his name, sorry) tells how he managed to get the first Enzo in the States. Total Ferrari nut, that's the good part. Has an attitude, that's less good. Anyway, he basically spent a gazillion trillion on Ferraris all his life and still was passed on. Only through his dealer he eventually got it and it turned out to be the first in the States and managed to become a Car & Diver title mag shot and story. Pretty neato.

11. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Today's Chowder lunch in NYC was a celebration of Ferrari's 50th official year in the States, and Luca Dal Monte, marketing guy of Ferrari/Maserati North America was the speaker. There was a gorgeous Maserati Quattroporte parked outside of Sardi's.

Anyway, during the opening remarks, Bruce Wennerstrom told the story about Eduardo and his new Enzo. Apparently Eduardo was stopped for speeding shortly after taking delivery (65 mph in a 55!!!!). The problem was that Eduardo still was on a new driving permit for the U.S. and stood to lose his license if he got a second ticket within 6 months.

So, for 6 months Eduardo drove the Enzo at 55 mph, enduring the sight of Peterbilts filling up his rear view mirror and other drivers cursing him and flipping him the bird as they passed the moving chicane of an Enzo Ferrari!

I don't know if it is really true or not (Eduardo had left the room by the time Bruce got to this story), but it's a good story anyway!

John

12. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Number 53, May 2004, page 18, column 3, in the brief on the Le Belle Macchine d'Italia in Pennsylvania... which I'll have to make some year... but may be a while if its always so close to the 4th... too much going on that week!!

13. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Bob Rapp

14. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    John,

That's entirely possible! :D I had the pleasure of meeting him at his office the last time I was in NYC, and he was making mention of his permit woes at the time. He had just bought his 550 then. Very cool guy to hang out with. I wish I had stayed longer, as we were to spend the weekend together (my cousin lives close by to him), but alas all good things must come to an end.

I'm surprised by now he hasn't figured out how to get the equivalent of the CHP 11-99 started out there.

--Dan

15. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I remember during last years 'Enzo Day' Andrew said his dad had to keep the speeds down due to some trouble with his license- the story makes sense :).

Eduardo just picked up a 512bb/lm from Sheehan (I believe) and has a great collection - I'll leave it to Andrew to post what he has..

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    :)

I didnt see this thread until today :) .
    I remember when my dad and me wrote that letter on his PC..Back then we thought he would never get an answer ..but Luca proved us wrong :) and im very glad he did !
    Grazie Tanto Luca :).

The "driving the Enzo at 55 mph" is 100% true ..:). And as Kenny said, during that Enzo day in April 2003, the convoy lost him ( Doh ! ) because we had to keep up with James in his GT40 !

Great stuff..too bad i cant get Forza here in france !

Thanks Brian !

17. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Andrew:

I had the pleasure of meeting your father last fall at the start of the Running of the Bulls trip. He was to lead a very small contingent leaving from the Westchester Country Club and I drove down in my 400i to see them off. I ended up following them up as far as Rte 84 before peeling off for home and the usual bunch of Saturday chores and errands.

It must have been after the six months because, even though we didn't drive too fast (certainly not, officer!), he did lead the group with his Diablo at a "brisk" pace!

John

18. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Andrew, i have had the pleasure of meeting your dad few times . he is very well deserving of it.

19. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    That event must have been a blast !
    He later was stopped by a very cool Police offcier who eventhough my dad was speeding ( just a bit :D ) only asked for a pic of the Diablo ! He was a lambo nut !

Best regards

Andrew

20. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I totally agree with you :) ! Thanks for the kind words.

21. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

I was gonna keep quiet, but since Andrew already outted his Dad...

Wennerstrom's story is true although Eduardo's first traffic stop while on permit was in his daily driver, not in the Enzo. That put him on probation.

He was also pulled over in the Diablo last Fall during the Bull Run. I was with him and we were going no more than 70 at the time. The NYS Officier was more interested in the car than Eduardo. He was giving Eduardo a hard time abt having a FC of Argentina decal on the Lambo windscreen and the fact that there was condensation in one of the parking lamp lenses. He ran back to the squad car to get his camera. Of course I made a photo op of this too. No ticket.

The funniest part was that no more than 2 mins later, we were pulled over agn by a local/county cop. He said he heard on his radio that a car fitting our description had failed to comply (pull over?) but that it was not us and waived us on. Eduardo was alittle nervous at that point. We stayed @ the limit for the rest of the trip home.

For those who dont know Eduardo, he truly is a wonderful guy, and a great tifosi.

Heres a pic of our first stop during the Bull Run.

22. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Great pic!

23. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Wow I cant wait to go get that Forza.

24. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

25. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Wow Greg thanks a lot ! Been looking for that vid !!