Article on WreckedExotics.com | FerrariChat

Article on WreckedExotics.com

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ghost, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Since so many of us are perversely drawn to viewing and/or pasting pictures from WreckedExotics.com, I thought it might be beneficial to actually read about the site and its founder. Article is from the LA Times. Great title BTW. Post script at the end.

-----------------------------------------------
    Website documents exotic cars' days of wreckoning
    Images of the smashed remains of expensive vehicles thrill some but also may enlighten about unsafe driving

By Dan Neil
    Times Staff Writer

February 25, 2004

Any bucks-up swell can buy a 500-horsepower Lamborghini, Ferrari or Porsche, but not everyone can drive it competently. At the point where rich guys' funding exceeds driving talent, one can often find a tossed salad of shredded carbon fiber, crumpled aluminum and highly engineered junk, a.k.a. an exotic-car wreck.

Now, thanks to the Web's worldwide weirdness — and the good offices of an anonymous 27-year-old Bay Area executive with a wicked case of schadenfreude — you can savor pictures of these mechanical pratfalls at http://www.wreckedexotics.com .

Among the offerings on view: a $600,000 Ferrari Enzo owned by a Tampa, Fla., RV dealer whose son gave it a $400,000 rhinoplasty; an extremely rare Pagani Zonda whose owner took it curb surfing in Hong Kong; and a Ferrari 355 reduced to about 177 1/2 after an unfortunate encounter at a railroad crossing.

Submitted by a global collection of car enthusiasts, ambulance chasers and frequently the drivers themselves, the pictures have a delicious, how-the-mighty-have-fallen quality about them. (No gory pictures are allowed.) They also illustrate the bizarre ways kinetic energy dissipates in car crashes. The pictures of sports cars knotted like pretzels are pure dada.

The 2-year-old website, which gets 350,000 hits a month, is the work of "Gregg Carlson" (not his real last name), who started it as a hobby because he was "disappointed with the lack of car crash pictures on the Internet," he said in an e-mail response to a reporter's query.

Why? Gregg is only too happy to psychoanalyze himself: "I can't really put my finger on it," he writes. "A few reasons may be that I take pleasure in other people's misfortune (as long as they're not injured). But let's be honest: Who doesn't take pleasure in others' misfortunes? Isn't that what the tabloids are all about?"

When you are talking misfortune, the crackup of a mega-buck sports car pegs the needle. Car enthusiasts will find it hard to turn away from pictures of a smashed-up Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing (punted off-course during a recent Mille Miglia event in Italy); a Lamborghini Diablo made ever so much more rakish by having its roof flattened; as well as a Jaguar XJ220, a Bugatti EB110 and a Vector, each as rare as high- energy isotopes.

"Although I like any type of car crash, I get really excited when it involves an exotic," Gregg writes. "The more beautiful it is, the more pleasure I get from seeing it destroyed."

He is concerned that people will think he has some sort of fetish, a la the J.G. Ballard novel "Crash" and 1996 David Cronenberg movie version.

"Don't mistake this 'pleasure' for anything sexual," Gregg writes. "It's just a giddy feeling I get when I see these photos."

As strange as it may seem, there is a public service component to Gregg's website. Like the blood-on-the-highway movies in driver's education classes, the site's Bad Crashes category — filled with the mutilated Asian imports of dead teenage drivers — is a sorrowful reminder that horsepower and hormones make a deadly cocktail.

"It's only natural that at one point or another, you're going to push your limits," Gregg says. "Hopefully, Wrecked Exotics will make them stop and think about the consequences."
    ---------------------------------------------

Post Script: Guess which picture the writer chose to illustrate his story? Check here for the answer.

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I must say the 300SL Gullwing made me a little sad, but I guess just like the 275GTB/C they can be fixed ... but both will take a lot of work :(

The older and rarer they are the harder to fix, and the more carefully they should be treated IMO. But track accidents do happen, and I would rather they were driven than sitting statically somewhere.

Pete

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    This guy is the biggest ***** I have ever heard of !!!!!!!!!!

4. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Must be a Sadist.

5. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    i wonder how much money he has made from the site, i heard he became a millionaire is this true?

-jt

6. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I doubt it. Doesn't seem like a site that would attract a tremendous variety of sponsors/advertisers. Article doesn't mention anything on his getting rich off of this either.

EDIT: Don't know if others are having this problem, but it seems that the Photo Archive on his site is not working. Click on "Ferrari 355" and it freezes up my computer. Too many hits since the article came out?

7. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.

It's evident... this guy has to be out of Berkely.

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    The guy has a car crash fetish, plain & simple. Thats pretty f*cked up if you ask me. :rolleyes: