Ultimate free will through technology? | FerrariChat

Ultimate free will through technology?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by jonesn, Nov 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Ok, I'll keep this short and simple so everyone understands it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

If there was a technology that allowed you to control your dreams with such clarity and depth that it seemed more real than reality (lucid dreaming on a higher scale), would that constitute ultimate free will?

Now, if it did, how would our society be effected if this technology was sold to anyone on the open market? Would this new ability in life change the person in real life, like they're becoming more like their "dream" self/personality? There's plenty of ****ed up people in the world that I know would abuse this technology, so do you let the public have it or keep it a secret to those who you know would be fine with such an ability?

I have my own conclusions on this, just wanted to get some more insight.

2. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I've thought about this a bit over the years, but I think Scott Adams summed it up best in his book The Dilbert Future. He's talking about how the invention of the holodeck from Star Trek would affect the world.

"If I had a holodeck, I'd close the door and never come out until I died of exhaustion. It would be hard to convince me I should be anywhere but the holodeck, getting my oil massage from Cindy Crawford and her simulated twin sister... I'm afraid the holodeck will be society's last invention."

-R

3. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    WOW, yeah I've been looking for a book like that. Thanks!

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Some folks pay good money for L. Ron Hubbard's spew, others think for themselves.

Ultimate Free Will would be in the doing, not in the dreaming. But the "individuality" is often projected upon one. That is to say, influenced from outside the individual's psychosphere. I think of it somewhat as a one-way mirror. Or is it two-way? Regardless, the individual who is imitative of any behavior sees out, introspects, looks out again, introspects some more, is influenced, takes action. If it's a dream, then that person who is influenced by said dream might take it as a sign of destiny, and might take action to influence a potential outcome or wait to see resolution.

Back to outside influences. When a person accepts a suggestion, be it from: dream-state; subliminal messaging; comment or visual influence from media in all forms; another individuals verbalized thoughts or displayed actions; so on and so on - and applies this influence to his or her daily life - then that person is imitative in behavior, though "practice" leads to assumption of a role that the person might be mistakenly noted for. Although you can buy styles, you can't buy style.

One Stop Shop for Lucid Dreams

5. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    So when are you going to start the sales pitch? Maybe you could become a Fchat sponsor.

Would you pay for advanced dreams......?

Hey FerrariChat: if I built this, would you buy it? (Lucid Dream Induction)

At least Fchat isn't the only forum you are pushing this stuff at:

Systematic induction of lucid dreams / what would you pay for my product??

Hey OT: if I built this, would you buy it? (Lucid Dreaming Induction)

Ultimate free will through technology?

You have to be a member of Off Topic Forums to see the thread so here is a screen shot:

6. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    That's some pretty deep stuff, but I got all of it. Thanks.

7. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Hey man, are you stalking me????!!! hahaha

Yeah, I'm doing all of my initial marketing research online in message groups. But if/when I get this company public, I won't be spamming forums with the real product. Besides, I won't have the time then to do grassroots advertising (spam).

8. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #9 wax, Nov 16, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast

I just happen to have amazing psychic powers that are heightened by wearing magical headphones, my brainwaves are constantly searching the universe. You can order your own pair of psychic enhancing headphones from the Sharper Image catalog, it's on page 37 right next to their version of a lucid dreaming machine.

10. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Hey, that's one of my favorite paintings (Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee around a Pomegranate One Second Before Waking Up - Salvador Dali). Kind of goes with the topic too.

11. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Sure, whatever. What's your username on OT?

12. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
  13. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    pothole

14. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Looks like somebody beat you to it:

Making Dreams to Order

15. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
  16. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    MarkPDX, I really hope you don't think some gimmick like that works. If anything comes about from using that it's only from a placebo effect. But it would look pretty on my bookcase :)

17. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    And they totally ripped off the idea for "BowLingual" from The Simpsons.

18. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I hate to tell you all this, but we are all dreaming now. Someday we will wake up and realize this whole physical reality thing was just a dream.

19. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Oh yeah? Prove it.

20. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    What did you have for lunch last friday? Can't remember? Sounds just like a dream. :)

21. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Quizno's small Chicken Carbonara, M&M cookie, small Dr. Pepper. Ate at 3:20pm.

22. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Ok, so what were you doing at 4:20?

23. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    When are you loaning out free trial kits, so we can determine how wonderful your product is? I figure you could loan it to me for 2-3 weeks, then I'll send it to another guy, and then he can send it on and so on. That way once we're sold on it we can spread the good word for you, and you won't have to bother with online advertising any more.

24. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Is the main component of this product a tinfoil hat ?