Ford GT really underrated | FerrariChat

Ford GT really underrated

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 69stanger, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 69stanger

69stanger Rookie

Nov 30, 2003
    I hope this has not been posted before

http://www.mustangweekly.com/2004/march/news/n03-6-3rd.asp

"An engineering firm that has been doing development work on a Ford GT, reported that on their chassis dyno, a "well broke in" Ford GT made 565 horsepower to the rear wheels. They went on to say that the car was hazing the tires on the dyno and they believed the real numbers are quite a bit higher."

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I think someone mentioned this last aug...

3. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Will the Ford GT turn out to be a modern day Pantera?

Long term Ford will maximize short term profits by making nearly as many as they can sell. Resale values will reflect this.

Haven't seen one in person but the looks and numbers look great in print.

Ford & Chevy are pretty slow to jump on the retro bandwagon. Hope the train hasn't already left town.

4. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yeah - I remember someone mentioning it back then but I cant remember who it was :). I also seem to remember some guy named Maaco that seemed to argue with this same said person - over these same claimed facts that are apparently turning out to be true..

5. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL

Personally I hope the retro train has left. JMO It's good to take design cues from previous landmark models. But regurgitating a car (the original was great! btw) and sending it through the same computer program as every 'sporty' ricer on the road, giving it a bunch of power, and selling it relying solely on its visual similarities to the original race car puts it in the same pathetic boat as the Veyron... through with my rant.

I'm not saying its not a bang for the buck, its Ford's version of a 'vette on steriods... but there's more to a superb car then that. Which is why we are all on this site to begin with. :)

6. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    I think its great, who cares if they are lying...at least unlike some, they are OVERdoing the HP! I love that car, exudes sexiness and heritage.

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i think we shouldn't be jumping to any assumptions here. imo, the magazine reports clearly demonstrate that all sorts of engine tweaking has been going on with the prototype cars. these guys still haven't finalized everything for the production vehicle. everybody is playing with protos still (damn close to real protos, but still protos).

i wonder if the bean counters in the warranty department have had their whack at the bunny yet - for all we know they'll detune it to 500 at the flywheel to stick to the marketing materials and reduce major warranty costs.

there's just so much yet to be finalized about this beast that it's premature to wonder what the end result might be, imo.

certainly intriguing though!

doody.

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Ford releases the GT, Chevy releases the eh... SSR? WTF were they thinking?

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Ok, so now we know that "500 HP measured somewhere" is about 35 feet down the road after the car has passed. Wonder what it will do after the supercharger pulleys are changed............

10. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    PWehmer wrote:
    Will the Ford GT turn out to be a modern day Pantera?

Long term Ford will maximize short term profits by making nearly as many as they can sell. Resale values will reflect this.

Does anyone believe that future resale value factors into Production volume calculations? The only profit Ford makes is when they sell the car the first time. They will be doing everything they can to maximize income, not worrying about collectors and speculators making money down the road.

11. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    for ford, no. absolutely not. which is why imo the speculators will get creamed. as a publicly trade company, it would be fiscally irresponsible for ford to not satisfy demand completely - assuming the car is profitable, which i have to believe it will be.

for ferrari, perhaps. clearly they could sell more than they're producing and they're not doubling production. that's not pure "resale values" math in their head, it's marketing math and optimal company sizing (probably).

doody.

12. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    What you are saying is interesting. I agree w/ Doody on re-sale subject.

Like Japanese car makers did, why not Ford create upper-class car brand to handle GT & others. Is it not feasible?

If Ferrari created the lower-class brand, would it hurts them? Like Rolex to Tudor of watch makers. This is probably unrealistic for Ferrari as they seems not chasing how much money they can make, and in long term, Ferrari brand may get hurt.

I am not well knowledged on auto making industry, so just wondering.

Yoshi

13. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    They were thinking that with a curb weight of 4760 lbs the SSR will be 50 percent more fun than that skimpy little Ford GT.

14. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I agree. Even thought the Ford GT looks to be a superior car, .from a long term investment standpoint this is just a replay of the Viper and Prowler phenomena. Even though I want one, I will wait to get my Ford. They will get MUCH cheaper after the first wave of enthusiasm wanes.

15. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    According to thecarconnection.com the car will be rated at 550hp after recent engine tests. By the way that is a great site to get up to date information.

16. bmwmpower48

bmwmpower48 Rookie

Mar 8, 2004
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Josh Kinard
    I saw an SSR the other day on the highway near all the car dealerships in town. I-40 near Wendover for any one who lives in Gboro. It was yellow and quite ugly.

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    How will the new Chrysler fit in with all these (silly?) supercars?

Pete

18. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Now wait just a minute. If the economy is so bad like the liberals would have us believe, how can Ford or anybody else possibly sell another expensive exotic luxury TOY like the Ford GT? I'm assuming that the new Ford GT is made overseas in some third world sweat shop assembly line, because according to the news media, there is so much unemployment that there couldn't possibly be any assembly line workers left at any Ford plant to build such a car.

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    They would say it's because the rich are getting richer and, well, you know the tune.

TigerAce: Ferrari has exactly what you are talking about with Maserati. It IS their 'cheaper' brand. It's just that they started with the Lexus and then built the Toyotas.

The Maserati line fits the sub-$100k market, and then there's a fair jump to the $150k Ferraris. This is exactly why a Dino line will not be practical now. Their effort has to be in marketing Maserati. They need TV commercials for Maserati, for starters.

20. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I thought Maserati bought out some part of Ferrari, like VW bought out Audi & Porsche. Thanks for the correction!

Regarding Ford GT assembly, manufacturers already have 100% of production line, and if the sales of their products dropped due to a bad economy, some portion of the production line will be opened. This is a good timing for the maker to expand/explorer different segment of the market. R&D portion is totally different, and I really don't know how it works. For ex., Toyota had (still has??) a big lab for rotary engine in 80's although they never produced a rotary engine car.

Yoshi

21. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Did VW buy out Porsche? I thought they were a seperate company, am I missing something, help. Thanks

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er, where did you hear that?. Ferrari own Maserati.

Again where did you hear that?. Porsche are independantly owned I believe (?), but have done deals with many companies and R&D work for most.

Pete

23. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Sorry to confuse you people. I thought I read on VW's in Newsweek few years ago......

I heard from FMoDallas salesman last year, but I may misunderstood.

I'd better check D&B before posted my previous, sorry.

Yoshi

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yoshi,

Heh no bad, just I'd never heard that and was questioning your source. Would love to know what is really going on.

I do know (er, from a resent mag ;)) that VW and Ferrari have some sort of relationship ... fnck knows why? ... all after the quick buck, instead of hard work or something?

Pete

25. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    in an attempt to get this thread back on track.....

;)

i just re-read the press release and they prominently quote the C&D 3.3s 0-60 time at the top of it. why haven't THEY done their own tests yet with a near-production vehicle.

i'm still skeptical that the production GT will do that 0-60 and 1/4 mile time.

doody.