Buying a place on the Upper West Side. Advice? | FerrariChat

Buying a place on the Upper West Side. Advice?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by zjpj, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I'll be new to the City. Looking for a place near to the 1, 9. What are real estate agents like in the City? Anything to look out for? I like the charm of the pre-war buildings but the mod. cons of the newer buildings - should I lean one way or the other? Any other advice?

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    LOL, Zack, I suggest that you ask your dad. Although, if I was you, I'd think about buying in London and telecommutting to class. :)

Dr "London" Tax

3. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    co-ops are generally more demanding. most pre-wars are co-ops. they can deman high down payments (min. usually 25%, in some cases more), and require an interview and complete financial records. condos are less cumbersome. my building, a condo on east 88th st., takes 10% down. and that doesn't mean it's a dump. dan akroyd lives here.

biggest broker is corcoran. check out their website for a huge inventory.

otherwise, it's pretty straight forward. values finally stopped growing at 5%+/month about 2 years ago, so now prices are just really expensive, vs. trully insane. general rule of thumb right now is about $600-700 per sq ft

4. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    zjpj,

What are your needs and price range? There are some apartments available in our spectacular building.

Rijk

5. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Dr "Exeter sucks" Tax: The old man is completely gung ho. Wny rent when you can buy?

mrp_e: I'll check corcoran, thanks. I don't much mind putting 50% down - I can just refinance it after purchase. I don't much like the sound of co-ops but I feel like most apartments are...

rijk365gtb4: I'd say one bedroom, $400K, give or take.... Less would be great :)

6. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    advice= hoboken

7. sagaponack

sagaponack Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Old Buildings = Resale value, charm, roaches, crappy views, no services, Some smells, older tenants

New Buildings = Views, Clean, services, no charm, younger tenants

Buy Market= incredibly hot, Bidding wars galore, No inventory

Rental Market=Lots of deals, quite soft

Rob

www.bridgehamptonmotoringclub.com

The Finest Collector Car Storage Facility on the Planet

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    So I guess this means that you are going to Columbia?

Congrats!

9. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I went to admitted students week last week - it was SO great. The students, the facilities, the faculty were all wonderful. (NYU was crap, incidentally.) Still waiting on the Crimson folk up north, but I think CLS is the best law school in the country (for me.)