How is an Enzo purchased? | FerrariChat

How is an Enzo purchased?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by F40only, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40only

F40only Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    I thought that the original 399 owners had an agreement with Ferrari, that they could not sell their Enzo for a certain period of time? How are so many for sale?

2. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Ferrari did this with the F50 by forcing the owners(except one I believe) to lease the cars for two years. They did not do this with the F40 or the Enzo.

3. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Tyler is right. But what they did do was to try to pre-screen the clients to whom were accorded the initial alllocation to ensure they were (i) the most preferential and (ii) people they thought wouldn't flip it. As you can see, with so many Enzo's up for sale, Ferrari obviously didn't do as good a job as they would have liked to (at least in Europe).

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hel_, man there's at least two FOR SALE wandering around the site here!

Bring your checkbook! HURRY! LOL

5. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Can anyone please tell me why Ferrari do what they do regarding choosing buyers for specials. Own views regarding why buyers sell is "where theres man theres greed".

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think it's just a ruse to avoid a mob scene at the factory gate!

In defense, I think they do try to place the cars, like Enzo did, with people who will DRIVE them and USE them and PUT THEM ON THE STREETS.

Then the collectors take hold, and they are never seen again.

Apologies and salute to all who actually drive them, except the guy who burned one, down in Houston. See other thread in GFD.

7. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Even for people who have millions, it seems the appeal to make an easy extra few hundred thouand is too enticing.

I once heard that an agreement like the one mentioned above (Ferrari makes with buyers not to sell) is not enforcable. Legally all they can do is not sell you one next time the opportunity arises. Anybody know if this is true?

8. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas

I believe that it could be legally enforceable. But I doubt it Ferrair would go after anyone for flipping since they would be alienated their most affluent customer base.

With the F50 the buyers did not actually own the cars - they were on lease from Ferrari.

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's right, a lease purchase plan, of some months duration.

Let's ask Paul Frame!

10. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    If they want to keep the cars from being resold again and again, just increasing the price like the F40's, why didn't they keep the F50 style lease plan for the Enzo? Either that or raising what they charge the initial customer, that would keep the first owners from making such a profit to by reselling it rap stars. There's probably a marketing thing etc that I don't get somewhere.
    It is ridiculous when someone keeps it as their private museum piece, use it or lose it.

11. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    It's got to make you think, there are people lined up to buy a $750K - $2M car?? I must be not doing something right. What do/did these guys do to put themselves in a position to have that kind of disposable income.

12. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    youd' be amazed. i live in manhattan and there are 25,000 people inthe city who make over a million a year. most of them arebankers, second batch are lawyers. so if you're 40+ years old, and a partner or management director at merrill or goldman, you're easily worth 10 mill already. same goes for newport beach, l.a., at. but on a smaller scale i'm guessing

13. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    "How is an Enzo purchased?"

Andrewgavi has 32 of them in all colors of the rainbow for sale at "market value". Get 'em while they're still available! Sale ends Friday!

14. SoFlaNSX

SoFlaNSX Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they only make 359 Enzo's??

And also, is the "you had to have owned a Ferrari before" just a rumor?

15. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Was supposed to be 349 but bumped up to 399.

You had to own more than just one Ferrari to get approved for an Enzo...at least from Ferrari.

16. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Got real good at putting a ball thru a hoop?

17. SoFlaNSX

SoFlaNSX Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Ya, sports is getting absolutely ridiculous. No one deserves $12M a year to play BASEBALL. And $100M over 5 years to play Basketball! Unfortunately, its our own fault for even supporting these clowns. 90% of them would be picking up our trash every Monday/Wednesday/Saturday if it wasn't for a sport because they have no real world abilities what-so-ever.

18. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    Quote:

"90% of them would be picking up our trash every Monday/Wednesday/Saturday if it wasn't for a sport because they have no real world abilities what-so-ever."

Their real world ability is to be paid more than any of you for doing something they love.

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Enzos, we are talking about Enzos!!

Although I've heard it put best by someone describing IRL President Tony George as a member of the "lucky sperm club". LOL

Or as I've heard, "If you miss out on the opportunity of inheritance, you've already suffered an ENORMOUS setback!"