if you had the money.... | FerrariChat

if you had the money....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ross, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

which one would you buy (money aside)

1. 456 m gt/a

2. 612 scag

3. aston vanquish

4. bentley cont gt

5. porsche turbo

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    which would you buy just because you needed a 2+2 (just to get the wife to go along with the plan):

456gtm
    612 scag
    aston vanquish
    bentley cont gt
    porsche turbo

2. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Personally I would go for the Vanquish, although there is still not much room back there.

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Aston,pls.

4. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

;) uh... well I'd pick the Vanquish IF it was a 2+2, which it isn't. Therefore, I'd pick a 612 scag.

5. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Good to hear from you Ross! Unless you will be transporting amputees the Porsche Turbo and Aston should be out of the question. Neither rear seat is very usable. I'd vote for the 456 because I don't take your qualification that money is no object seriously. I've been reading your posts too long to believe that! Good Luck.

6. Sensational1

Sensational1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Michael Basic
    There is a 2+2 version of the Vanquish.

7. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

Really?! That's awesome! Never seen one.

I retract my smarta$$ remark and vote for the 612.

Vanquish all the way baby!

8. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    remember, the seats in the back only need to carry small children ocasionally, and more importantly, simply need to be there so that the wife will agree that it is a 'sensible' purchase.....so don't get hung up on their actual useage.

all of this in the hypothetical of course....

9. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Aston for me

10. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    I've got a thing for scags. :)

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The scaglietti

the Vanquish rear seats are a joke.

12. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
  13. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Who does the wife want to put in the back seats?
    If your young kiddos, then I'd go with Porsche Turbo.
    If adults or large kids, then I'd go with the 612 Scaglietti.

14. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I would go for a TDF blue 456 GT/M. (I wouldn't be interested in the automatic transmission)

15. FerrariFlip

FerrariFlip Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Bonaire,Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Philippe Haak
    I had have to make a hard choice between the 456 and the Aston.
    And not the 612, its amazingly ugly!!!
    But i think i would buy the Aston and sell it for a 575:p.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well, I'm amazed at the support for the Aston Martin.

Where I come from they are considered crap!, or close to, ie. a car you buy if you want to see it occassionally between fixing all the stupid English poor build quality and lack of control.

Remember the same country built the 80's Jaguars with the same stupid Lucas electricals, and same reliability record. Gee any Italian car is considered reliable against an Aston.

I guess Ford may have fixed all that, but I would not touch a pre-Ford Aston with a barge poll. Recently in a Classic Car magazine they discussed the Aston Martin v8 engine and its design and it was close to laughable. The first 2 engines suffered conrod failures and block cracking. They then tried to race them in Lola T70s at Le Mans and both cars failed in the first few hours with the SAME problems.

The designer Tadek (I think) then had somebody else (ie. a REAL designer) redesign the block and this cured the block falling to bits.

They also talked to a guy that used to make them originally, and now rebuilds them and he mentioned that the valve seats were really too soft and thus caused maintenace issues and this was NOT fixed until the Vantage model ... after many poor suckers had bought these pieces of ****.

Otherwise a great engine :D

So if you want to buy into that heritage go ahead, but I have never understood the lust many have for Aston Martin. I guess many like that under engineered (renamed hand built) feeling that early English cars had and they did finally win Le Mans in 1957!

I just hope that Ford has put a body on top of Ford mechanicals and the original Aston rubbish is long gone. Note the Aston DB7 (I think) has a Jaguar XJS floor pan because they were too cheap to design and make their own. Hardly a great car to start with.

Anyway out of the selection I would choose the 456 GT (but manual please, no slush boxes in real cars), with the Bentley being the next best (and now well engineered thanks to VW) but too much for me. Having now seen a 612 Scag, it is not quite as ugly as the pictures suggest but IMO will never match the grace and style of the 456.

Pete
    ps: Out of ALL nationalities the English definitely have proved over and over again that they fail miserably at the car making business. Excluding minor car making nations such as Yogoslavia (sp?), English cars kept many car repair garages in business. Now the Japanese cars have taken over maintenances schedules are 4 times longer and engine rebuilds are infrequent.

My fathers garage used to thrive on rebuilding Rovers, Triumphs, Jaguars and Hilmans.

They maybe able to design F1 cars that win occassionally but their cost cutting engineering has me steering well clear of English cars.

17. Bertus

Bertus Formula 3

Mar 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bert S
    And what about the Bentley Coninental GT?
    Personally i like this car more than a Porsche Turbo or an Aston Martin
    It doesn't look so fast as a vanquish or a turbo but i would like to see a race between them, to see who's laughing then.
    (But offcourse the're not italian)

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The Aston is a kit car. Ask any AMOC club member.

Get a used 456 GTM and pocket the $100k bath someone has already taken. These are all production cars that they will make too many of. They will depreciate like stones. Run away or buy used.

19. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I voted for the 456M, but would rather have the earlier version with the daytona scoops and of course would select a 6-speed. None of the others interest me.

20. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    i took the vanquish, i just love that classic aston grill.

21. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

If money were no object..............Buy 'em all!!!

22. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    I chose the 612 first but the Aston isnt far behind.

23. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    does anybody know whether there is a waitlist for the 612 already, or are they having trouble selling them?

24. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    gotta say that this is a pretty amazing result given the nature of this site - either james bond still has a hold on people's imagination or ferrari should hire ian callum.

25. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Only 60 are coming to UK and there's a waiting list of eager customers. Heard 18 mths being mentioned.