Going to get my Boxer back from CC | FerrariChat

Going to get my Boxer back from CC

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by charliek, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    Had my BBi at Classic Coach to have the following done to get car back to correct:
    1.Respray all Boxer trim in correct Glassurit 21/put proper running lights in front bumper.
    2.Remove welded on EPA rear bumper crap
    3. Oil service with Mobil 1 15/55
    4. Check high idle
    5.Check and recharge A/C if needed

Saw the car today, it looks fantastic , what a great job they did. Rocco told me the car runs perfectly and to leave the idle alone. Hope to do the grop tri-state ride on Saturday. I be so happeee.

Car is surrounded by Masers but stays cool.

Sorry to bore everyone, but who else would listen?

2. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Glad to see you getting your Boxer all ready for Spring. I have to wait a week for my Boxer to be ready..........having the radiator re-cored.

3. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Beautiful BBi, Charles!

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Looks great!! Out of the six Ferraris I have owned, my BB512i is my favorite. Where did you find the front parking lights ? I looked for months for mine and ended up finding one at Ferrari of South Africa and two from Eddie Karam , so now I have a spare in the event of a rock chip. Also, isn't it odd that Ferrari chose to put rear fog lights on the car but no front fog lights ? And those lights that look like front fog lights are daylight passing lights and only come on while you're pulling the headlight stalk forward. But, I guess they're necessary because of the pop-up headlights ?

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very nice.

6. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Looks great. I hope I can noodle a ride-share program sometime this summer. Would Esprit S4s and Factory Five Cobra rides equal one 512 ride? :)

7. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just a PLUG for a sincere enthusiast businessman, Thats Dennis Mcann in ohio. within 5 days he rounded up the most impossible parts to get for my 84 boxer, try to find these parts anywhere else...1, Original equiptment Cibie flat high and low beam replacement headlights, concours eligable.2, new old stock left and right boxer mirrors with emblem.3, new old stock amber/orange parking lights, the big ones on the bonnet.4, new old stock cibie frnt in grill fog/passing lights,thats a tough one!.5,new rear lens. 6,new side markers. 6,new hood emblem.
    Dennis is professional and Familiar with every Ferrari.Call him and You'll see what I mean. Phone# 614 855 1103.
    I will be installing new parts this weekend, new pics next week!

http://www.allferrariparts.com/home.html

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Very Nice!

And thanks for the paint code! My 308's headed in for some work and we'll respray my lower, too!

I guess "Rustoleum BBQ Black" would be my second choice! :)

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    msdesignltd, FYI those lights in the front grill are daylight passing lights only, not foglights. They do not come on with the rear foglights. They only come on while you're holding the headlight stalk toward you and go off when you release the stalk.

10. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The Cibie "passing" lights can be easily rewired and a relay added so they will turn on along with the rear red fog lights. A previous owner of my car had that done.

Msdesignltd,

I see that you have "orange" colored bulbs in your front running lights.
    Do you or anyone else know if that is correct from the factory, or should they have clear bulbs?? Mine has clear, but I have thought about putting in orange bulbs.

11. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Charlie,

I forgot to say that your car looks great!!! Nice to see the front running lights in and bumpers back to Euro.

One thought though.... every dealership/mechanic who I have talked to has told me -NOT- to use synthetic engine oil in a Boxer. They said that seals weren't designed for it and it could cause leakage. All have told me to use Castrol 20/50 GTX oil.

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Gary, I would be careful about leaving those daylight passing lights on with the rear fog lights. Ferrari wiring is not the best in the world to begin with and that circuit was not likely designed to handle a constant load that would result if left on for a long period of time. I have heard of people just adding higher wattage headlight bulbs that end up overheating the circuit and melting parts and/or causing fires ! And, the BB512i came from the factory with Agip Sint2000 10w50 oil which IS a synthetic oil. Sint means synthetic in Italian. In fact, use only Agip Sint2000 warnings labels are in several places in the engine compartment and in the owner's manual. So it sounds like your mechanic is a little weak on his Ferrari Boxer knowledge ?

13. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Great looking car! Always one of my favorites. Wish I had one.

14. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Frank,

I've only used the "fog" lights a few times so far. But, they were wired properly by a Ferrari Shop (Black Horse Motors, CA) and they added a relay to make sure they would be safe to run.

Regarding the synthetic oil issue. A number of dealerships/mechanics including Continental Auto Sports (Chicago) and Ron Tonkin (Portland) and my own mechanic Carlo Durante (Alfa of Tacoma) have told me NOT to use synthetic oil in the engine.

I choose to follow their advice.

15. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

on the oil issue, i will only use mobile 1. franks is correct in that the bbi came from the factory w/ sint 2000. frank, did you ever have any dialogue w/ bill pollard? if so i hope it was favorable.

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ...or Royal Purple!!!!!

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Gary, I would think that Ferrari Spa. knows a little more about the engines they produce than a dealer or local wrench. Look for yourself and see if the owner's manual and labels in the engine compartment both indicate that you use Agip Sint2000 10w50 oil. Look up the word "Sint" in an Italian to English dictionary on the internet and you will see that Sint means synthetic in Italian. In fact, the OM warns that if you have to put any other type of oil such as while on the road that as soon as possible that you flush the engine out with Sint2000 and refill with Sint2000. I have acutually bought a few cases of Agip Sint2000 oil which I have been using for over 15 months now and have zero oil leaks. The service records that came with my car indicate that either Agip Sint2000, Mobile1 or Redline have always been used in mine since new. Ferrari of Atlanta also recommends synthetic oil in Boxers as well and so does Boxer guru and BBLM racer Mike Gurley

18. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Frank,

I am not denying that the Boxers owner's manuals say to use Agip Sint 2000.

Continental Auto Sports (Ferrari dealer/Chicago) exclusively serviced my car from 1996-2004 and they only used Castrol 20-50GTX. My mechanic also recommends that I continue using this oil. Therefore, that's what I'm doing.

I would imagine that the formulation of synthetic oils has changed quite a lot over the past 20 years when these cars were built. Maybe that is the reason some dealerships/mechanics do not recommend using modern synthetics such as Mobil 1.

19. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    Rocco at Classic Coach had no problem using the synthetic. I believe that Classic Coach has been around for many years and knows their engines. I spoke with a gentleman who owns a BBi and 308 who is an engineer speciallizing in engines. He told me that the synthetic oil causing leaks is BS. The engine will only leak if there is a problem. He would use nothing but synthetic oil in his cars. Maybe the very low viscosity oils would be more likely to leak but not because they are synthetic. Logically why should it leak more? Lads, Thanks for all the compliments on my car. I got the small parking lights on ebay for 250.00, don't know if price is good or not just wanted them back on.

20. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Gary, since 1) synthetic oils are clearly better in protecting an engine than dino oil, 2) Ferrari requires synthetic oil use in the BB512i according to their own owner's manual and labels in the engine compartment, 3) my car has had synthetic oils in it since new, and 4) my car doesn't leak one drop, I will continue to use Agip Sint2000, Mobile1 or RedLine . A Boxer engine cost to much to rebuild not to use what type oil the manufacturer recommends IMHO. I also use premium gas over 91 octane, the proper weight transaxle fluid, DOT4 brake and clutch fluid like Ferrari recommends as printed in the OM and on labels affixed to the car in various places as well. And I agree that synthetic formulations have changed over the last 20 years, which make them even better for the Boxer than they were. The old tales from the 1970s that Mobile1 would cause an otherwise sound engine to leak was propaganda started by oil companies against Mobile1 because Mobile1 had the patent and was about the only company at the time selling synthetic oils to the public.

21. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Uses what is recommended by the manufacturer, and when he has latitude to choose, uses only the best available. I knew there was a reason I liked Franklin. We're seeing eye-to-eye on this one brother!

22. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My car originated in Belgium, I would say they are orig, from factory.I would say Mcann would know for sure.He was able to tell me the exact headlight that the factory delivered with the car in 84'.

23. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    Michael,
    Just got off the phone with Dennis, great guy. I mentioned your name. He said he may have left your front emblem out but will send it. He is trying to get some parts for me. Thanks for the suggestion, very interesting guy.
    Charlie

24. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

all you boxer guys need to take the time to down load the bblm-f40lm video. the sound of the boxer will make your knees weak!! the f40lm is decent too.

there is a cameo appearance by an alfa tipo 33b campari car...it is a bit quick!!!

25. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Where do I find the BBLM video? Do you have the link?