Looking For First Ferrari To Purchase | FerrariChat

Looking For First Ferrari To Purchase

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Racerfred, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Racerfred

Racerfred Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I am looking to purchase a 308 Quatrovalve or 328. An suggestions as to where to look or for available cars. I am located on Long Island. Any help would be appreciated. I am looking to spend in the low 30's.

Thanks in advance

Fred

2. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    A good place to start your search would be with Doug Perone at Berlinetta Motors in Huntington. Nice guy, very knowledgeable and a good place to think about servicing. While in Huntington you can also check out Lynmor Motors and Auto-sport Design, both on West Hills Road to see if they can help you. Cannillo Motorsports has recently opened for business in Deer Park.I was there for the grand opening and I think they have a 308 in inventory. Good luck and have fun searching.

3. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    FRED

WELCOME....

A 328 IN THE 30S.....FORGET IT...........

IM SURE YOU CAN FIND A NICE 84-85 308 QV FOR ABOUT THE PRICE.

TRY AUTOSPORT DESIGN.

GOOD LUCK,
    BRUCE

4. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Fred,

I agree with Bruce. You wouldn't want a 328 that could be had for the low 30's. It would be a pig. Shoot a little higher or get a 308 (which is just as awesome). Cannillo Motorsports has a beautiful '77 308 GTB with low miles that is very reasonable. They have a 328 too. Good luck!

5. Racerfred

Racerfred Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I saw the Cannillo 308 but I am trying to stay with a fuel injected car. What is your opinion about the carburetor models. Are they difficult to keep in sync?
    Are they acceptable for occassional use?

My main passion is road racing. I race a BMW in the World Challenge series for Habberstad BMW along with a Mini Cooper in SCCA Nationals for Habberstad Mini.

I am by no means a novice to vintage or exotic cars. I am not afraid to work on cars and can do pretty much anything. But as for the Ferrari I want it as a play car and to take my daughter (4yrs old), who loves cars and racing, out for Sunday morning drives so her mother can get a brake. BTW my daughter favorite race car driver is not her dad but is Michael Schumacher!

I spend enough time keeping the World Challenge car together.

Again thanks for all the advice.

Fred

6. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I remember hearing somewhere that the 308's have complicated carb linkage. I don't know much about carbs (before my time I guess) but everyone feels differently. There are a bunch of guys on here with carb 308's and they rave about them. Maybe a few will chime in.

7. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    hey if you looking for a 3.2 engine I might be willing to part with my mondial cab :)

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It would me difficult for ME to keep in sync, but JRV handles it like a walk in the park!

That black one does sound like a good one if you like that color. I like other colors better on the 3X8 myself.

I think the carb cars offer better performance but have not driven any newer than my '77 308GTB. I went with mine specifically to get the smog check here in Houston off my as_. I have a DOT Non-catalyst sticker, even prior to going "exempt" at 25 years old. My safety inspection cost $12.50 vs. 49.00.

They just honk the horn and look at the tires.

With the carb cars you do have to learn the details of the car and not romp on the gas all at once or roll off suddenly, or you'll hear the "pop pop" of the unburned fuel as it hits the glowing header system. You also have to be sure the dual distributors are performing per specs. After that, it screams. HTH