348 front windshield replacement | FerrariChat

348 front windshield replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ksullender, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Has anyone had to replace the front windshield? Any idea on the cost associated?

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    On my 348Spider I had the windshield replaced and it cost about $2k parts and labor. I bought the windshield from TRutands .

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    $2,000!!!!!!! What a freeking rip off.

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    The bill to replace the windscreen in my 1990 348ts came to $3430. It was in the glass shop for 64 days (!) before I got it back. Ferrari NA had a problem coming up with the correct glass (twice) and shipping it unbroken. Then when it was finally installed, it turned out that my old rearview mirror would not fit onto the new base plate, but Ferrari was kind enough to supply me with a new mirror at no cost after all of the trouble and delays involved (saved about $300). Insurance paid all but the $250 deductable.

5. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    Around £1200 that included trim ring and labour, plus a 6 week wait for the screen from Italy as it was summer holidays so all was shut.

6. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Hi.

Not sure where you are but we have windshield #62079400 in stock here at £586.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

7. Ksullender

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Jeff, I'm in Ft Lauderdale Florida. What does that work out US? Any idea on what it cost to ship something like this??

How did they get insurance to cover it?

8. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

586 GBP = $1,055.49 Which is quite cheap...no idea what shipping is.

9. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I thought Ferrari UK didn't supply parts for the 348. And I'm not sure that the part number quoted (62079400) is actually a 348 windscreen, although I'm not the authority on part numbers. My 1994 348 parts book gives 63642100 as the number for the 348, and does not show 62079400 in the numerical index at all. A supercede number?

My limited experience with this showed that there were two types of windscreen, both with the Ferrari logo. One of them had the antenna imbedded in the glass, the other didn't. We were told that only the one with the antenna was still available, and it had the different base for the rearview mirror. The first windscreen that was sent to us was very, very close to fitting the opening, but it was about 1/2" too wide, if I recall correctly. The second one sent out was nowhere near correct. The third one was broken in the box. The fourth one was correct. We were told that Ferrari NA had no 348 windscreens in stock (!), that there was no aftermarket supplier, and that they had to wait until new supplies were produced and shipped from Italy. On a car 11 years old at the time.....

10. Ksullender

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Jeff, why did you need yours replaced? Sounds scarey that they are that hard to get a hold of!!

11. Andy hls

Andy hls Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Arn't they the same as 355 screens ??

12. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Are 348 and 355 windscreens the same??? I don't know.

When I bought my 348, its windscreen was rather badly sand pitted, and I wanted to have it replaced, but didn't. Then one day as I was accelerating up a freeway onramp, probably 100 yards behind the nearest car, I got clobbered with a rock just in front of the rearview mirror. Didn't see it coming. Pulverized the glass in an area about the size of a half dollar. Insurance replaced it with no questions asked (thank you, Progressive).

As I said, the car was at the glass shop for 64 days. I didn't take it to the glass shop until the replacement windscreen had been ordered and received. It looked correct, but we didn't find out that it didn't fit until the old glass had been removed. Too late, can't put it back in! So it sat. Fortunately, the shop owner is a friend who took good care of the car, and it was Winter, so I wouldn't have been using it much anyway.

13. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Hi all.

Ksullender - you have mail !

On further checking there are two numbers although they are the same price:

63642100 w/aerial
    62079400 w/o aerial

Both in stock.