Ferrari Emblems | FerrariChat

Ferrari Emblems

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by The Mad Hatter, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    Hello,

I was noticing that a number of Ferraris have the emblems on the sides (sort of above the front wheels) and then some don't have them. Is there a reason for this or are the emblems something you can have done after market? Thanks!!!

Cheers,
    Travis

2. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Travis,

You're talking about the Scuderia Shields. Do a search (both new board and old), and you'll find tons of information, as well as wildly divergent opinions about them. As a new poster, you should've asked about something a little less controversial, like world politics or religion...:D

3. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Hello Travis. I just read you r post about the shields. As Ghost says, the subject has been around several times.
    If interested, I sell the metal Scuderia Shields for the car. Feel free to send me a note and I can forward the info and a picture to you. Hope this helps. Send to [email protected]

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Boy you hate seeing a newbie walk into the propeller like that!

Only a limited number of SPECIAL Ferraris came with factory shields, until recently, when they became an option on modern production cars.

How was that gang? "Politics or religion", LOL!

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Aftermarket ones ride "ON" the fender, factory shields are recessed "IN" the fender.

Technically, all US cars really should have NART badges, IMO.

6. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Scuderia Shields were reserved for race cars until the 288 GTO in 1985. To my knowlege the factory did not have shield on any street car until that time. Until the late 90's only special cars were available with the enamel shields (GTO, F40, F50). Now they are available as an option on any model. The Shield is a designation of "Scuderia Ferrari" The factory race team. That is why you will see the shields on Alfas of the 1930's and on all Factory backed race cars.

The NART emblem that Speedy308 is referencing was the race team of Luigi Chinetti and would only be appropriate again on race cars (in my opinion).

Terry

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Agreed, Terry!

It was just a subtle jab at all these US guys, who don't know much History.

Your spot on with your post.

8. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    I've also been informed by owners who have the shields that they make the cars faster than those without the shields. I haven't seen dyno tests yet so the jury is still out.

9. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace

I actually did an test with mine - Shields on 0-60 Very Fast - Shields Off - Much Slower... So I think based on my scientific evidence - the shields do make the car faster and I am sure the Dyno would prove this as well :)

Funny Stuff...

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Right, you only use the NART shields for 24 Hour applications! ;)