Anyone use a 'Top Hat' for 355? | FerrariChat

Anyone use a 'Top Hat' for 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by jakermc, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    There is a gentleman named Joe Foster who has advertised a product called a 'Top Hat' in the FCA monthly mag. I think he has also posted on a few websites. The product is basically a car cover that only covers the roof and windows. I like the idea because it will keep the sun off the interior and is quicker and easier to use than a full cover. Additionally, owning a GTS, having the product would allow me to keep the top off while running around town while keeping the interior clean and protected.

After exchanging some e-mail with the guy, he seems confused about the GTS model. I asked him if he has a specific product for the GTS or should I just order the Berlinetta product. Here is his response:

"In FERRARI nomenclature, GTS used to denote Spyder open model, GTB for Berlinetta closed coupe. To ensure no mistake, please confirm your car is a Berlinetta closed coupe FERRARI?"

Has anyone heard of this guy or used this product? I use a similar product on my Boxster S and would love to think this guy is legit, but obviously his response has me concerned.

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

That's one of those "run away, don't walk" red flags to me. He may be some guy reselling something that he doesn't know much about but that response is bad.

3. 98TDFSpider

98TDFSpider Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    So check back in a few weeks and I guess we'll know.

4. 98TDFSpider

98TDFSpider Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    So check back in a few weeks and I guess we'll know.

5. 98TDFSpider

98TDFSpider Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    I received the Top Hat (I'd call it a tonneau cockpit cover) for my F355 Spider and it's great. It was shipped exactly when promised. It is made from CoverCraft's Weathershield material -- which when I bought a cover for my BMW was the most expensive material CoverCraft had. It folds to be quite small. It is held on by two straps that go around the windshield wipers, cutouts that go around the mirrors, and 3 bendable tabs that attach (and will not scratch) the rear wheel wells and the engine lid spoiler. It takes a few minutes to attach -- but a heck of a lot easier than putting on the Ferrari convertible top boot. I couldn't be happier.

Next week I'm having the titanium skid plates I purchased from Hill Engineering installed -- and will post my comments.

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    could you post some pics?

doody.

7. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I ended up ordering one as well. With my GTS top removed and windows down, its a perfect fit. I've been using it when driving around town or work as its a lot easier to slip the Top Hat on as opposed to putting the roof back on. Additionally, it covers all the windows and keeps the sun off interior. I haven't tried it with the top on, but it appears that there is enough adjustment in the cover for it to work that way also.

Kudos to Joe Foster as well. It shipped very quickly and arrived before I thought it would. Great product, great service.

8. Carlh94

Carlh94 Rookie

Sep 5, 2013
    St. Charles, IL
    Full Name:
    Carl Harris
    Did anyone ever take a photo of this 'Top Hat' cover? Is Joe Foster still around and offering this item?

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Funny, I was looking for one of these for my spider just this weekend. Could not fine anything. If some one knows a vendor selling them please post.

10. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    10 years on, you would think someone would have picture by now :) :) :)

11. 355rockit

355rockit Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2010
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Vas
  12. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
    Really could have used one this weekend, if anyone does come across a supplier please do post the information in this thread.

13. 601

601 Karting

Dec 19, 2010
    California
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/members/4441.html

There was also a version for the 348/355 or maybe the spider fit is universal. Made by Hank Garfield and no longer sold by Ricambi, so contact Hank directly ("hank sound").

Another photo showing the front:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/139939332-post16.html

Also available for the GTS, but does not cover the side windows:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/137701063-post2.html

I have the GTS version and keep it folded up in the glove box behind the seats.

14. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK

I use this on my GTS.
    very useful
    Has 2 rubber suckers that stick onto the rear window to secure.
    Folds up to something real small.
    Protects the interior and windscreen from heat