Question about barcodes | FerrariChat

Question about barcodes

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by threesixty db, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. threesixty db

threesixty db Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2002
    Canada
    Anyone know how easy or difficult it is for someone to copy a barcode?

2. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    really easy, barcodes are just a font on a pc, you can pick up the label printers and scanner at almost any office supply store.
    Do a quick search on the net for a barcode font (there are thousands of downloads)

3. threesixty db

Aug 5, 2002
    Canada
    so barcodes aren't particularly safe then are they?

4. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    No not safe at all

most people use them as a means to give a product a numeric code, when you buy somehting in a shop it usually refferences a DB with all the product details (price etc) as well as noting the reduction in available stock. as most brands pre-code their labels your stuck using their numeric code's (so you cant change em to your own stock refference)
    If you had the time and were feeling particulary naughty you could create a bar code sticker that overlays the original and cause havoc in a large shop!!

5. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    as long as you have the software to print one bar code you can do them all.

6. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    what is it you are trying to accomplish by using bar codes?

7. threesixty db

Aug 5, 2002
    Canada
    a business idea, that if it works, could be extremely profitable. i had figured that they were easily copied, so i just need to figure out a way around this. the main principle behind it is already being implemented here in north america. my idea is just a different variation on it (to be used in another country), that needs a high level of security around it. something to keep me busy.

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    ah. I personally wouldn't use bar codes for anything other than inventory. but in the IT industry, there's little else use for such things.

wouldn't mind playing devil's advocate on your idea though.

9. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    360..Why the hell would you want to copy barcodes if not for some activity that is not legit? Barcodes are the property of businesses (like mine) that pay a fee to the UCC to be able to apply it to our products. I have no understanding whats up your sleeve! Please explain.

10. threesixty db

Aug 5, 2002
    Canada
    that's exactly my problem, i don't want them to be copied. if they are copied, then no one would want to use my idea. so i need to come up with a way around it.

11. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    As a business owner that has to put a barcode on my products for retail, I could care less what happens to it after the product leaves my warehouse. The products go to the distributors that check it in. At that time, the distributor double checks the barcode. After that point, I don;t care what happens to the barcode. If somebody copies it, it will have no impact on my business. Your angle may be geared towards retail stores with dumb clerks that may ring up a $100 item that somebody took another barcode label from another product that costs $3.00 to save $97.00.

12. threesixty db

Aug 5, 2002
    Canada
    my idea doesn't have anything to do with retail stores, it would be more of a personal use.

13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Bar coding is no easier or harder than using Word, or Photoshop, or Corel Draw.

Just remember, much of what is in a bar code is proprietary. People/companies pay for the rights to use UCC barcodes that include a manufacturer's distinct ID code.

Other codes just digitize a series of numbers.

Download some software, try it, see if it works, then for goodness sake, spring the $100 and buy some good software to produce the barcodes.

Many packages, including Corel Draw, include bar code applications built in.

http://www.labelvision.com/2020_evaluation.html - don't know if it's good or bad, found it with google.

14. Teutonics

Teutonics Guest

Jan 3, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    In my line of work, we use "masked" barcodes which are very difficult to copy. They look like mag stripes (black bar), but are optically read using light. You would need to have the original number and barcode format (Code 39, Code 128, I 2 of 5, UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-8, EAN-13, Codabar, etc.) to reproduce the barcode, or special equipment to read and decode the format.

I believe the cards are made by Laminex, you may want to check their website for more information.

15. threesixty db

Aug 5, 2002
    Canada
    thanks for the info. i'll take a more detailed look at their website later. how secure are those bar codes?