Two In One Day! | FerrariChat

Two In One Day!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 134282, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The weather was a lot better the weekend before this one that just passed. Fortunately, that’s when Gus and his girlfriend Josie came to stay at the Chateau. They arrived Saturday night, so on Sunday, we all went out to breakfast. After breakfast, we went back to the Chateau where Gus & Bruce got silly with some refurbishing applicant on Gus’ lower front bumper. The girls hung out, watching Bruce and Gus; I just aimlessly wandered about the driveway, snapping picture after picture.

Once everything was all set, we were ready to go. Andrea slipped into her Crossfire, Gus & Josie were in Gus’ 328 GTS and I was in the TR with Bruce in the fun seat. Off we went, with Andrea in the lead, and the 328 bringing up the rear. A quick stop for gas and we headed for New Hope, Pennsylvania. New Hope is a beautiful, eclectic little town that’s just mobbed with people when the weather’s nice. Driving through the street is like trying to push a golf ball through a garden hose; still, it’s worth it. The funniest thing about the trip, from the time we left ‘til the time we came back, is that the Crossfire got ten times the amount of stares the TR & 328 got combined! One couple, while crossing the street, almost bumped into the yellow beast ‘cause they were too mesmerized by the Chrysler. When Bruce revved the engine, the guy turned around, acknowledged that there was a car behind him and went right back to staring at Andrea’s car! It’s NOT a low profile car, to say the least.

After a while of sitting in near-stand-still traffic, Bruce asked if I wanted to drive. That’s a no-brainer! We quickly switched seats while waiting for the cars ahead of us to move. After filtering out of New Hope, we headed back to the Chateau. That’s when I had the chance to open the car up a bit more. Andrea was still in front, but this time Gus was in the middle and Bruce and I were in the back. Not for long. I followed suit as Gus passed Andrea and it wasn’t long before I took him over, too. There’s just no end to the power in that beastly 12-cylinder behemoth; at least, I haven’t reached an end, yet. :D

After cruising for a short while, we realized that Andrea might be farther behind than we thought. We decided to pull over and wait. With Gus on my tail, he was right behind us when we parked on the shoulder. I walked over to his car to explain that we were pulling over to wait for Andrea.

“How’s about we switch cars, then? He asked.

I ran over and asked Bruce and he didn’t care, so we swapped. Gus and Josie were in the TR and there I was, in the driver’s seat of his 328 GTS. This was my second time driving a 328 but my first “real” time; the last time I drove one, I didn’t have a chance to get into it.

The 328 and the TR are two completely different animals, so there’s no comparing them. I am, however, spoiled by the TR, so I noticed some differences immediately. First, there’s more head and legroom in a TR. Second, a stock 328 just doesn’t compare to a Tubi’d Testarossa.

Just as we finished swapping cars, Andrea was pulling over, so we all pulled off and headed home. The acceleration in the 328 gets really aggressive after 4,000 RPMs and that’s about when the exhaust note really starts to snarl. I was a LOT more confident in the twisties in the 328 and had no problem accelerating into, through and out of them. I take more caution in those same turns when I’m driving Bruce’s ass-heavy TR. I haven’t driven every Ferrari known to man, but the shifter was pretty much the same as the TR’s. I won’t be so bold as to say that if you’ve seen one Ferrari 5 speed shifter, you’ve seen ‘em all, but there was no adjustment period; I just got in and took off. I didn’t notice and real clutch difference between the two cars, either. I’ve heard people say some clutches are stiff and so on but I guess I haven’t reached that level yet. I push the sucker in, engage a gear and split. That’s all there is to it.

All in all, it was an awesome ride; I think we all had an awesome time. Gus, I really appreciate you letting me drive your car. I know you were nervous as hell, especially not being in the car with me to make sure I didn’t try to hot dog or do anything else silly. Bruce, as always, I love driving your car. It’s such a pleasure and I’ve really been spoiled by it. It was, without question, another wonderful Wellington weekend. Thanks, guys; thanks a lot.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Too many pictures, too little camera work.

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yellow really is an amazing color for the Testarossa !

4. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Great Story Carbon.

Who the hell is this sublime jerky?

5. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    It was my pleasure my friend. I'm just glad that you kept the shiny side up! :)

6. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    NNO,

love your pics;) and can`t get enough Testarossa pics:D from Bruce`s flying yellow beast:D and what a wonderful rare 328 colour, congrats!

I wish, I could drive together with you dudes;)

Greetings from good old (still snowy white & frozen) Germany

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

7. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    NNO, that was very refreshing -- thanks for sharing your experience with the pics! Bruce and Gus are just too cool...my hat's off to them!

Especially enjoyed your descriptive comparison between the 328 and TR, as they were spot on.

My best to you, Bruce, and all the gang up there!

8. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Wolfgang,

You are welcome here anytime you come to the Northeast! We'll reserve a seat for you. :)

9. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Thank you so much Augustine!
    I sadly can`t carry my "beast" in the hand luggage with me:D but to have the oportunity for a passenger seat would be fantastic - thankx buddy!
    I will give you a call on my next N.Y. trip...don`t know excatly the date. I`m travelling next to Dallas/TX between 16.-19 April.

Cheers

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

10. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    There is a lot of mention of beasts in this thread. The truth is that the REAL beast is Bruce & Andrea's dog Cleo. Her breath could knock a buzzard off a sh_twagon!

11. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    A day in the Life of DES/Carbon/NNO… I love it!
    You need your own show on the Speed Channel.
    Bruce and Gus, IMO you guys epitomize the true
    meaning of Ferrari ownership. Sharing your rides
    with non owners, yet equal enthusiasts. Hat's off
    to you both. And what a beautiful day!!

12. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    But CLEO sounds so sweet & cute...is she realy such a beast;) Unbelievable to me together in a house with Bruce & Andrea. I love to read Bruces post, he is always so calm, laid back, serious, insightfully and sensitive. How could his dog be differently from him with such an education:D?

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Me too...! :)

Thank you, Pat... i don't know who he is...

Andrew, it's really a beautiful car; i've spent so much time with it, i look at other, different-colored TRs in a different light, now...

Mitch, thanks for the wonderful insight, i really appreciate it and will definitely keep that in mind for next time; thank you so much, really...

Wolfgang, keep us in mind; we would love to have you out here one day... :)

Chuck, LOL, thank you! i would LOVE my own show... :) Gus & Bruce are exceptional folks, to say the least...

14. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    nice story and thanks for the pictures.

15. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    CARBON

NICE WORDS AND PICTURES...ANDREA AND I LOVE HAVING YOU OVER...NOW I CAN CLAIM YOU AS A DEPENDENT..

GUS-JOSIE......NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE YOU...YOUR THE BEST..

WOLFGANG, ERIC, AND OTHERS...ITS REALLY A JOY TO SHARE MY F-CAR WITH NON-OWNERS...THAT SMILE ON THAT FACE REALLY GIVES ME PLEASURE

ANYTIME WOLFGANG, ERIC, OR OTHERS, IF YOU ARE EVER IN THE TRI-STATE AREA...THERES ALWAYS A ROOF OVER HERE AT THE CHATEAU ...ANYTIME

REGARDS ALL,

BRUCE

16. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Looks like you had a lot of fun.

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Good stuff.

It was nice meeting Josie this weekend & seeing you again Gus. :)

18. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Bruce, Augustine, NNO,

thanks a lot for the invitation and I`m looking forward to meet you all on my next N.Y. trip.....hopefully soon;)
    I have been so many times the last few years in N.Y. and got lost every time in Manhatten:(
    Try to get for the next trip right in time in touch with you.

Thanks in adavance, what a pleasure & honour for me!

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

19. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    NNO: Dude, are you wearing black again?

20. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL...! i'm not in any of the pictures, so it's hard to remember...

21. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I see your reflection in the photos. It looks like you're wearing a black shirt (again!). I'm just razzin' you, no worries. ;)

22. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL... It's certainly possible i'm wearing a black shirt (and black slacks, black sneakers, black socks, etc.) - i just don't remember; it was so long ago that i took those pictures... i have such a horrible memory...

23. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    SOMEONE HAS TO BRING UP THE GOOD OLD DAYS..........