Coolent leak ft rt side of 328? | FerrariChat

Coolent leak ft rt side of 328?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dla, Mar 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dla

Dla Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Jacksonville FL
    Full Name:
    Lee Anderson
    I have a 88 328, after starting her up today and letting her idle for 15 minutes (while cutting the AC on as well). I noticed a pool of coolent right next to the front rigth tire just under the car. I removed the tire and all components under the bonnet. I found no leaks, wetness, or sign of a leak. While the car was jacked up I let it idle. Again, no sign of 'spray'. Once I let the car down, my puddle began to form. It looks as if it is seeping from a joint midway up the interior of the wheel well. There are no hoses in this area, and I can not image that the AC has anything to do with the coolent.
    All I can figure is a pin hole in the aluminum cooling pipe that is hidden underneath the car and the spray from the pin hole is causing it to leak and weep in an area that has not cooling hoses running thru it.

Any suggestions or has anyone else experience this?

Thanks,
    Lee A.
    Mandeville LA

2. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    If you mean the front, passenger -side of the car, it could be a small leak at the lower radiator hose ( check the clamps for tightening), the pipe it connects to, the temp sensor fitting, or a small pinhole in the radiator itself. Good luck. If it becomes very hard to find, there are blacklight dx kits you can buy to help the procedure.

3. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Another idea--when you say midway up the interior arwa, it could be a leak in the heater core ( inside of the heater box) on that side or in the 2 hoses which connect to it.

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I had a leak in my heater cores. It is in the reasources how to gain access and how to correct. Not too difficult really.

5. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I had a similar leak on my 328, I couldn't figure out where it was coming from, turned out it was the windshield washer bottle which is right at that location. The electric pump clips onto the plastic water bottle and sits in a pocket. The clip had split the plastic in the pocket and caused the sudden leak. When you jack up the car ther fluid runs away from the hole and when you put it back down it runs back to the hole which is on the right hand side of the bottle. This could be your problem also, I fixed mine with epoxy. Good luck !

6. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Villeneuve-Loubet, France
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    Could it be something as simple as the AC dumping condensed water?

7. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Was thinking the same bec. there were times during this
    winter when the temperature warmed up suddenly (happened 2x) and I noticed some fluid on my garage floor. When I traced it, it seemed to come out of that AC drain/hose. But shouldn't it be just plain water, not a mixture of coolant?

8. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    It should only be condensate exiting from AC drain tubes. This make me think that you have a heater core or heater hose or heater valve leak in the vicinity of the evaporator. That is the only way antifreeze can come out the AC condensate drains.

9. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Thanks Lawrence. What irks me is my car didn't have any coolant leak at all BEFORE I had my coolant flushed (at an auto shop that services Fcars). I found out initially that the coolant level on the expansion tank was over the max level so I drained some out. Although it did the trick, I still notice a small amount of leak intermittently. MY car never had problem running though...how long I'm still wondering.

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Cooant cannot come out of the AC drain. It is connected to a plastic tray under the AC condensor, that's all.

11. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore

I agree with Peajay, I had that same problem and was told by a Ferrari Mechanic that the 328 is notorious for the windshield washer bottle getting a leak by the pump. This is located in front of the passanger tire behind the wheel well cover... You might want to check that??

12. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    Hi Lee,

do you already know the fluid? One day I had some fluid on my floor as well:
    Fluid from my 328 cooler tasted kind of "sweet" on my tongue because of the antifrost glycerine.
    Windshield water will taste like the fluid you put inside the reservoir and
    condense water dropping from the AC cooler (front/right) will taste neutral.

don't drink too much from the first two :)

cinquevalvole

13. Dla

Dla Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Jacksonville FL
    Full Name:
    Lee Anderson
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I will tear into it this weekend. Interestingly enough, I just had my coolent flushed a couple of months ago. The fluid has a green tint, I am thinking heater core. Radiator and all hoses to it, are fine and tight with no leaks.
    I will let you know what I find, thanks again for the help. Ferrari Tifosi are truely a unique breed!
    Dla

14. Dla

Dla Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Jacksonville FL
    Full Name:
    Lee Anderson
    Interestingly enough, when I let my car idle or run there is no leak detected. But if i run my AC or Heater, then the leak appears.

I would assume this must be in the heater coils, that once you cut on your AC or Heat, the coolent runs through this system. If the AC/heat are not cut on, then there is no pressure in this system.

Does this make sense?
    Thanks,
    Lee

15. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Lee, it is normal for fluid (from condensation) to come out of that small drain hose after you have used the air conditioner. I don't know though if it comes from the heater coils. But as Dave (Handa) said, there shouldn't be any coolant coming out there.