TR inspection help in Chicago | Page 2 | FerrariChat

TR inspection help in Chicago

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by grantb, Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wow. I just read this thread for the first time and wanted to say Thank You carguy. You're an inspiration for all us working stiffs who haven't hit it big yet. I just suffered a setback in my own business, but I ain't out yet. I WILL have a Ferrari soon!

Thanks.

Mark

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    hey carguy.... that is extremely impresssive work. and you said you have never worked on a import car before??? holy sheet man that is amazing. cheers to you for a job very well done, thanks for posting that and insiping us little guys out there !

3. grantb

grantb Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Columbia SC
    Full Name:
    Danny Burnstein
    Great to see such a superb response to your work, This is a great community.
    Would you consider selling?, if so, you can email me privately.
    If you do sell, maybe youget get the car I looked at, won't it be easier the 2nd time around!!

4. grantb

grantb Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Columbia SC
    Full Name:
    Danny Burnstein
    PS.
    I'm sure Ispeak for everyone out there in requesting more pics, when you get the chance.
    By the way I would assume that metallic black woud be quire unusual, wouldn't the black generally be a gloss black, no metallic?

5. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Wow....Thanks Guys....I am totally flattered by your comments. The real key to doing this is common sense, take notes and pics, label everything, and be organized. You don't have to "know" everything you just have to know where to look...like here on fchat. I have worked on lots of cars in the past, the usual muscle cars, and lots of Vettes, but nothing and I mean NOTHING like a Ferrari. I did read the shop manual and every post I could soak up about doing this work first. My car had a full service a year before I got it...but an oil leak out the front crank seal was contaminating the cam belts and I had no choice but to do it. Once started I realized I wanted to have a show quality engine bay and did every little thing I could. Definately worth it in the end.

Nero Black Metallic is an unusual color. Up close it is a charcoal gray or black with a fine metallic. From about 20 feet and farther away it is simply black. It's really stunning in certain lighting conditions.

To have and work on a Ferrari and be not make big bucks does take some sacrafice.....like not going out on weekends, saving nickles and dimes, doing little jobs for extra money. But I also have the passion for these cars...hard to express to someone who doesn't have it already. I'll post some more pics for you to see, though they wont be as pretty as the earlier ones. Here is the "topless" motor....(blushing here)

6. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Here is the engine, very close to removing from the car.

7. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Here is the motor freshly removed from the car....it looks pretty good because I had spent last winter doing an in-car detailing. All for nothing as it turns out.

8. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Here is the empty engine bay....lot of room to work in there now!

9. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Right behind those little gears that the cam belts wrap around is the front crankshaft main seal..it leaked oil onto the belts...a big no no. I had no choice but to change it. Not I also marked everything, belts and sprockets.

10. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Here is a shot of the right cam cover, the motor is about half done at this point.

11. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Front of the engine, much work completed at this point with new hoses, fuel injectors, etc.

12. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Here is a somewhat dramatic shot of the top of the motor with eveything looking all shiney and new...my fingers are bloody stumps at this point...

13. grantb

grantb Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Columbia SC
    Full Name:
    Danny Burnstein
    Artwork at its best

14. Chip D

Chip D Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2003
    Louisiana
    Impressive

Love the Pics

15. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hey There Grantb.....I am not able to send you an email because the fchat menu states you have not authorized private emails. I did send you a private message via this board, but you probably have not seen it. If you get this, you can email me if you wish. Thanks.

16. grantb

grantb Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Columbia SC
    Full Name:
    Danny Burnstein
    Here is my address:
    [email protected]
    By the way, it seems to me you could certainly make a fine occupation working on Ferraris professionally.
    Your work is excellent(Have I said that before?)

17. grantb

grantb Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Columbia SC
    Full Name:
    Danny Burnstein
    Well Guys, I made the plunge. Just bought an 87TR red/all tan leather/
    red carpets. I want to thank everyone for their help especially JEFF GREEN!!
    As soon as the car arrives I will post pics.
    If you don't want to wait go to:
    www.naplesmotorsports.com
    Glad to be part of the group, especially excited to be adding some pasta
    to my steak and kidney pie.

18. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thank You Grant....I'm honered to help out. It is such a good feeling to have another fcar owner in the group! You know I'm here for any questions or concerns you may have, as is the rest of the board!

19. John Dillinger

John Dillinger Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Clearwater Florida
    i have a sweet 1990 TR for sale in Fla - if anyones interested email me [email protected]