Brake caliper re-build and re-plate ?'s 308 | FerrariChat

Brake caliper re-build and re-plate ?'s 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Nuvolari, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Hi All,

The plating on my calipers is pretty tired so I want to re-plate them. I assume this involves disassembling the entire caliper and having it re-plated before installing a re-build kit. What should I look out for in this procedure? What is involved in the re-build and what considerations should I have if the caliper has fresh plating in the cylinder bores etc. ? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  3. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    The rebuild is quite simple. Sorry I can't help on the plating question.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Why dont you just ask Rocco? You know he does it and just had his all done. He can point you in the right dirrection.

5. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    On the plating: I think Steve Magnussen has done this. You could also call Giovanni at AutoSprint in Chicago (advertises in Forza).
    Ask what thickness of coating they had done/would recommend.

FYI, the common wisdom tends to be not to split the calipers for fear of not sealing them again easily. I did split mine (to paint them - waste of time as it happened). To re-seal, you need to buy the little seals between the caliper halves and the spacers. They are not included in the rebuild kits. Giovanni can help you (he obtained mine, IIRC).
    HTH
    Philip

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No -- it's not me with the caliper replating experience (I was thinking maybe Ric Rainbolt had posted something on the old site -- but maybe not 308 -- I couldn't find it easily -- and it's not my homework!). My recollection is my ex-308 calipers were bare -- but I'm definitely foggy on that one. I also recall some of the 308 suspension rebuild posts including nice brake caliper restoration work too.

Rob C. -- I do think you should do some homework and go to the old site and do a search/reading on:

308 brake caliper ("and" mode, parts of words)

(I apologize if you've already done that, but my take from just sampling the threads that came up from that search was that there's such a wealth of supplier information, assembly tips, etc. that you'd have phrased your original post question differently if you had already done that.)

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I had my BB512i calipers rebuilt by Stainless Steel Brake Corp. www.ssbrakes.com