Melbourne Motor show (612, Lambos, Pagani, etc.) | FerrariChat

Melbourne Motor show (612, Lambos, Pagani, etc.)

Discussion in '612/599' started by PSk, Mar 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Okay went to the Melboring Gp and dropped in on the Motor show, which was quite good.

Lets talk about Ferrari first.

Okay saw my first 612, and I have to say that I liked the side profile!, yep does not look so long nosed in the flesh ... and it does not look so large, just the same size as a 550. Even the front looked better (headlights), but the smiling grill is a bit of a joke :(. Overall though a nicely proportioned car, and I do not understand why the photos make it look like it has a hard-on and the bonnet length has grown 10 feet!. This car was a metalic red.

Also saw a F360 Stradale ... which I thought was interesting as another post on this site talked about them failing homogation for selling in Australia??? ... anyway it just looked like another F360 to me, but the stripe looked good (on red).

Maserati.

Okay I also have to reverse my critisim of the new Quattroporte as in the flesh it is a nicely proportioned car that oozes class ... as it should.

Lamborgini.

On their stand they had the Murcielago right beside the Gallardo, in the same colour (black), and I have to say that the Gallardo has nothing on looks compared to the Murcielago. No contest Murci wins by a million miles as it has style. The Gallardo on the other hand looked cheap in comparison.

Pagani.

Extremely well put together car, and a great looker in the flesh. Not my cup of tea, but was expecting a kit car, but saw a professionally built vehicle that just happened not to have its own engine. This would be a huge dilema for me!

Audi Le Mans concept.

Boring ... no impact design that does not indicate supercar at all.

Australias first supercar.

Powered by some sort of American v8, it looked like a copy of a 360 that had a relationship with a Pagani, but well put together. In the end it looked like a top quality kit car ... but to be fair I think there are many years of development to come before really finished.

Bentley Coupe.

Awesome ... why buy a 612 when you can own this marvelous machine.

Toyota.

Toyota had some wild show cars that looked like a ricer had designed them ;), but interesting and what a car show needs.

Nothing else important, new BMWs ... I do not mind them, but that in itself is not a good comment.

Outside the show they had some classics ready for an auction (Shannons I think) and they had a Lamborghini Muira. I have to admit that it is a stunning looking car and reputation is well and truly deservered. I have never seen one up close like this before and was very impressed.

They also had a very nice 308GT4, a clean fibreglass GTB and a 400i (wearing 550 wheels ... which didn't quite look right to me).

Pete

2. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

Think of the McLaren F1 and suddenly that dilema will be fixed. TRUST ME ;)

3. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    oh, glad you had fun :)

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Good point, except the McLaren F1 engine was designed for that car ... the Paganis wasn't.

Pete

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Pagani:

6. tdc911

tdc911 Formula 3

Dec 8, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Tristan
    Did you manage to see the Ferrari 250 GTO at Albert Park?

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes I saw the '64 replica ... refer the Vintage section and I have posted some photos of it.

Pete

8. tdc911

tdc911 Formula 3

Dec 8, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Tristan
    The real one was there too. Saw it the week before at Philip Island with the replica. I'll upload the only photo I took of it at Albert Park. Just wait a sec, have to resize.

9. tdc911

tdc911 Formula 3

Dec 8, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Tristan
    #9 tdc911, Mar 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. tdc911

tdc911 Formula 3

Dec 8, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Tristan
    #10 tdc911, Mar 10, 2004
  11. tdc911

tdc911 Formula 3

Dec 8, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Tristan
    #11 tdc911, Mar 10, 2004
  12. markr

markr Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    N. Virginia
    Good call, lot of good performing cars out there that are not using their own engines. Lotus Elise and Exige come to mind fairly quickly. Even Saturn is using a Honda engine now.

As far as the Pagani goes, not as well know as others but got EVO car of the year in '01 or '02 and finished, what second only to the 550 as car of the decade.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Now I am really pissed off!. I could not find it, looked in a lot of places. I would have expected a fnkcen HUGE sign or something!!!!!

Very upset PSk ... :(:(

Pete
    ps: Thanks for the picture though!

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No hijack ... I ran out of film :), so these photos are great. Thanks.

Pete

15. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

hey pete, as one tipo 33 fan to another...take a minute or 5 to download the bblm vs f40 lm video in the thread in gen discussion.

there is a cameo of a 33 that i think you will appreciate!!

peter