Was this a great deal on a 355 spider? | FerrariChat

Was this a great deal on a 355 spider?

Discussion in '348/355' started by andrew911, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Sorry to post yet another ebay auction here, but just saw this car, and as I'm looking at it it was bought with a "buy it now" ebay option. This 95 355 spider supposidly had the 30K service done 1K miles ago for $8,800 (I assume they took care of the valve guides when they were in there and for that price), and it went for $79,500. Currently the car has 11K miles on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6212&item=2464996678

Seems to be one of the nicer ones (that 30K service is a huge plus) relative to the price I've seen. As fast as I saw it (just looked on ebay today), it was sold....

2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  3. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    msdesignltd, that link isn't bringing up the car for me....was that silver 355 a coupe or a spider?

4. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Just seems the prices of 355 are coming down, They are not worth $90K or better, the cars you see for high $90's just sit around.

5. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    In England, good 355s command a price of around £60k... which in todays rates is over $110k..... :(

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Although the 8,800.00 price is high for a 30k I would not assume they did the guides. One local club member had his 30k done plus a clutch for 5300.00 and was quoted close to 7800.00 (I think) at another place.

Guides involves pulling the engine, exhaust and heads, THEN pulling the heads apart. I think a 30k AND a valve job for 8800.00 sounds low.

Call around and you should be able to get some quotes.

DJ

7. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I think that was a pretty good price for the 355 Spider (and I prefer the 95's). 79.5 K (if it was in as good as condition as it stated - and the Odometer was not disconnect for a time) that would be a great price... Actually about 10 -15K lower than what you usually see out there.

The $8,800 for the 30K - if it was just belts and normal 30K stuff - that is very expensive - however some of the major dealers are charging that much. I just had the 30K done on my 95 (17K miles) also had the clutch, shocks, AC problem fixed, Underpanels replaced (due to cracks), plus a hand full of minor stuff, pretty much anything that needed done and it was 7K - Dealer would have charged about 10 - 12K.

But for 79.5K - if it was in as good as condition as the e-bay write-up said - that would be a steal... To compare - go to FML or Dupont or any dealer site - and the list on these - in this type of condition would be mid 90's - and you would figure they would sell for 5 - 7K off the list (with negotiation...)

I wondered if it had been in a fender bender?

8. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    That ad doesn't specify if the car has been in an accident, etc.... There's no free lunch.

9. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Well, while I didn't see the car in person, I did just get off the phone with the business owner- says it was in no accidents, fully serviced (30K, valve guides- $8,800 spent), and new tires. Car looked very nice to me. It could have been a one-off good deal- if there were no stories and it were next year, I think I would have made a move....if I only had about $20-30K more in the savings account today:( The owner of the business (Ed Brace) seems like a nice guy and was nice enough to go through many things, even knowing I'm probably a year away from doing something and the car we were talking about was already sold. He has pretty good ebay feedback too.

....oh well, I'll keep saving and another one will come up when I'm ready- I hope...

10. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Just goes to show - every now and then there are some good deals to be had - and at 79K - this looks like it was a great deal (without seeing the car).

And I thought I got a good deal on mine for the mid 80's... and I have put 7k into it in the last few months :)

Good luck next year - and I think the prices will be even better for you to get your 355!

Rich

11. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Rich- it sounds like you got a very good deal on your car as well!

The 355 spider is so beautiful from every angle.... I just need them to come down that little bit more in price, and to save that little bit more...I think next year may be my year :)

12. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    How come Rich? Just routine maintenance?

I also find it interesting to see that the car in question was purchased using the Buy It Now option. I rarely see this happening in general for vehicles, much less for an F-Car. Must have been an eager buyer that found exactly what he is looking for!

Regards.

13. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I don't know where the bidding started at, but when I first saw the car it was already bid up to low $70's with the reserve not yet met. Per Ed Brace, they move volume of "clean cars" by not holding cars in inventory for 6 months to get top price. Thus he probably priced the car at what he wanted on the buy-it-now. Often the buy-it-now prices are pie in the sky prices, and you'll often see bidding that has met the "reserve" or mimum selling price while still being thousands below the "buy-it-now" price.

Anyway, I would want to see the car in person- its somewhat of a leap of faith no doubt for the person who bought this car, mitigated by an almost perfect ebay feedback score for the seller, an established business that seems to have been around for a while, and backed up by phone conversations with Ed plus many pictures. Supposidy some guy in NYC or NY area bought the car...maybe I'll see it on the roads... When it comes down to it, I think I would need to see the car in person even for a deal like that- worth the time and plane ticket investment for a high ticket item like a Ferrari!

14. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    That's about the correct price for the car for now. In a year or two you will be able to fine an FCA platinum award winning 355Spider for less though.

15. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace

I did the 30K - plus Shocks, Clutch, AC fixed, etc, etc... I decided to go ahead and do it all so I have a few years of enjoyment without having to worry about anything... It had been about 3 years since any work was done so in the Ferrari world that is not bad...

I should be getting my car back later this week or next - I have my guys taking pictures of the whole thing - every detail - just so I can share with you all - so look for the post with pic's coming soon!

Rich

16. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Looking forward to the pictures Rich!

I've heard all the areas to look into with the 355 spider- valve guides, headers, leather dash, driver's seat bolster, climate control bubbling.....what about the convertible top mechanism- any issues with those? Some of the 911 cabs have issues (I don't on my car), but I know if this one part breaks on the 911 when the top is going up or down, the whole top can be ripped- anything like this with the 355s? Do the motors ever go out of sinc? (maybe I should do a search or post this as a seperate question, but while there are a few posters to this thread....)

17. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Got it. Think it's a good idea too. Looking forward to the pictures. Post when you get them.

18. car looked stunning for the year the price was also good, The seats and interior looked perfect didnt notice to much of the bubbling of the climate controls.

How does the A/C in the 355 work. ?

19. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    The Tops on the 355's are hit or miss - Mine has been worked on (under Warranty and After a few times) it is working Ok - I call it partial electronic - there is still some manual work releasing the top and pushing it up a few inches... I figure if it goes again - I am pulling the fuses, disconnecting the motor and going manual - Since I always put the top up or down when parked in my garage - I refuse to spend more money on that - if it goes bad.

On the AC - I have not had any problems with it blowing cold or anything... The boys found that one of the AC motor brackets came off and they reworked that - it was till stable not to notice but while they were in there...

Look forward to you comments when the repair pics are put up!

Rich

20. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

frank, you really stopped the bleeding by selling your spyder last year. the boxer will be solid in value going forward.

it is however crazy, how quickly prices are coming down on 355 and 360's. seems the 348 has been more resiliant. why?

21. RaptorAKL

RaptorAKL Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    McLean, VA
    This is one heck of a deal, assuming the car is in as good of shape as advertized. Most nice F355 Spiders are seeing 100-120K on the market right now, or more if you want an F1 or Fiorano.

22. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Not if they are a 1995 model year, which this one is. Only 1999's are going for the price range you indicate.

23. Caruso360

Caruso360 Karting

May 1, 2003
    Judge your good deal by this one and then decide. 98 355 coupe F1 20k miles,
    fresh 30k service, tubi, new P zeros, $85k. Sold from Colorado to California.

24. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    It's a little difficult to judge whether the car in question is a good deal relative to the car you describe given that the model is different (coupe versus spyder), the model year is different (95 versus 98), the transmission is different (Manual versus F1), and the mileage is different (11K versus 20K). It's as dichotic as one can get. :(