512TR--Front Hood Struts | FerrariChat

512TR--Front Hood Struts

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Tomf-1, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I had brand new struts installed in the front hood of my 512TR literally days ago during major service job.....and it still doesn't hold up.

I called the dealership and complained. They said these things are practically useless and it's a wide known and on-going problem for all 512TR. Do all 512TR owners out there experience the same? What is your solution to this problem (other than the broom stick approach...)?

2. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Tom, a friend of mine w a TR had the same problem and found a couple of struts at a local auto parts store for about a quarter of the price of the Ferrari struts. These have worked perfectly for over a year now. He just brought OEM strut to the store and they helped him to match it.

By the way, there are also available small, plastic collars which fit on the strut to hod it up. I used one on a Jag a few years ago and it solved the problem w/o hving to even replace the strut.

Good luck

3. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Doc is correct. Its a well known problem. and his suggestion is a good one. Match them up at a local parts store. As a matter of fact, send an email to my friend , also an FChatter, and he can tell you which auto parts store to go to. I think it is Pep Boys. He and I were just talking about this last week.
    Write to [email protected]

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Sachs is the (german) original maker. If you search the archives for "struts" you should be able to find the thread that listed the USA website for Sachs which will give you the Sachs part number for the hood struts. You should then be able to obtain the original strut through your local discount auto parts store, it just won't have the silk screen horsy on it....

Dave

5. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    TomF-1;
    That's BS "They said these things are practically useless". The original factory struts I guess were pretty weak. You can tell they were, since most pictures you see of a TR's front hood being up has a poll or some support device holding the lid up. I just replaced the struts on my '91 TR, which has only 14.5K miles on it (so don't feel a lone on this issue). These struts should be good for almost the life of the car, since the trunk is only opened a few times / year. Anyway, I got struts that are supposedly an upgrade to the originals? I'll let you know if this is true in a couple of years, since they work great today. Did the F dealer install the struts upside down? Did they install 2 struts? The strut on the driver side is a Bear to get installed, thus did they install both? The new ones should work just fine at least for awhile. Get your cash back and do it yourself (I have a post that shows you how). Good Luck!
    Keep in the fast lane,
    Jim

6. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    try rockauto.com

I bought my 348 struts from them and they are much stronger
    than the oem (pressure wise)

jmo

7. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    I had mine (92 512TR) replaced in December at the dealer with ferrari parts and as of last weekend they work perfect. I have had a different result than most of the others that have posted to this thread.
    Stuart

8. Ron

Ron Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2002
    LA
    Tom, it sounds like there are some good solutions here for you and me too.

I had mine replaced in August by the selling dealer. They didn't work well then I had them replaced by a shop in LA in Feb and the new ones were worse than the old ones.

9. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Tom, given that you've just had your struts replaced, you may not want to go through the hassels of replacing them again...even if cheap parts are available. If so, I know I saw in the latest Griots catalog, the accessory that can latch on and hold your struts in place. Simple like a simple and elegant solution. Let me know if you want more info, and I can scan something in.

10. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thank you to you all solution providers.
    It's nice to know someone just wasn't blowing smoke up my a**.
    Vik, I will check out Griot's garage and seek your suggestion solution along with others....

Crap... you would think a +$100000 car would have fricking struts strong enought to hold up the hood or at least long enough for me put my gym bag in before having it come crashin down and give me a concussion.....(yes, it's very heavy...and it hurt enough for me to get what day it was....)... oh well, enough *****ing. Gratitudes again, Gents.

11. 512tr

512tr Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    montreal
    Full Name:
    tony
    I'd like more info this accessory that latches the struts.

thanks

12. Ron

Ron Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2002
    LA
  13. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Actually I was talking about something else -- small little clips that latch on to the strut(s?), and allow you to avoid the embarrasment of having a big 'ol rod (and a Ferrari red colored one at that) holding up the hood. I couldn't find it on line immediately at Griots. Let me dig out the most recent catalog and scan something in. Will do so this evening.