Rant: Why no decent sports car shows on tv?? | FerrariChat

Rant: Why no decent sports car shows on tv??

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by David_S, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    There can't be much more than 12% of the male US population above the age of 12 that isn't enthralled with classic (and current exotic) sportscars. So why is it that when I tune in to ANY automotive related program that I am besieged with the following:

1) Crappy music (mostly rap and/or hip hop).
    2) Lame cars (bunch of name-your-bland-ricer-of-the-day, pathetic domestic fodder, or old muscle cars anyone can find for sale in a strip mall parking lot.
    3) Very VERY short glimpses of something interesting, mostly intermingled with either meaningless or more often totally incorrect commentary???

Can't in the US pull of a show much like Top Gear in the UK that features cars of true interest, presented in a manner that highlights the car in question??

I can almost fathom the Car & Driver show on TNN...ummm, I mean Spike TV, being mostly inane, but what is up with a program called Sportscar Revolution on Speed TV featuring Hyundais???????

Damned tempted to pick up a DAT recorder, a decent pair of mics, and a friggin' powerful transmitter to record & broadcast the sounds of some 12 cyl. beasts over the public airwaves!

Anyone else fed up?

2. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I'd love to do a show like that but I'd be a horrible on a tv show.Back when C&D was Motor Trend it was alot better i thought.It went downhill when Jim Scoutten left.I still watch old episodes I've taped over the years.There not as good as some of the Top Gear type of stuff but alright.

3. Chip D

Chip D Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2003
    Louisiana
    Couldnt agree more I love the Top Gear shows.
    All we get are crappy Spike TV shows like Funkmaster Flex showing some rappers pimped out Escalade.
    Give me a show with a screaming Challenge Stradale or Porsche GT.

4. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I think we have enough experience on this board to produce a show. Has anyone produced a show or know anyone who has? How cool would it be to rip around in the newest sports cars and get paid for it. The show sould be in high def too. Mark Cuban would definatley pick it up. Lets do it.

thad

why couldnt someone just buy the rights to top gear and air it here in the USA? what is involved with buying rights etc?

5. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    I like the "autophiles" show they still play on Discovery Channel - narrated by Jay Leno of course. The show is so out of date, they talk about Ferrari's latest supercar, the F50! And then discuss how the Germans do it, and showcase the wonderful 993 TT!

6. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    David, I feel your pain and feel the same way. By springtime, I have had enough "how to rebuild a Hemi block" shows on SPEED that I could puke. Even televised sportscar races piss me off to watch because of the obligatory British yapping that never stops to give the viewer a chance to HEAR the cars. I'd listen to a C5-R or a 550 GT over a hyper commentator any day. Screw each driver's life story -- let's hear the race. I wish I could toggle the commentary on/off (perhaps in a future version of Tivo). But I think this is one of the main reasons the Victory By Design shows are so successful. The're brilliant and get you as close to the driving experience as is possible from your sofa.

I'd be be first in line to watch such a show.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    For the same reason that the typical car magazine is filled with Saturns, miniVans, and other pieces of crap cars. It sells magazines.

8. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    Speed started a bunch of car shows recently, really none I can stand though. The best show Speed is showing is Dream Car Garage. It has a little of everything, new and old, and does not seem to be over the top with crazy music or slang that apparenly I need to hang on the street corner to understand.

9. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    The show would not work because it would not have the following that we all want to see:

1) Naked women
    2) Death
    3) Shootings
    4) Sports
    5) High-paid celeb's
    6) International terrorist themes
    7) William Hung singing
    8) Local weather reports
    9) Anything related to Too Fast-Too Furious
    10) Brain-dead blonde's talking about Martha Stewart

10. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    how do you know cuban would be up for the car show? and in HDTV????

my uncle works only in HDTV and i think he sits right by cuban at the games... and i love cars.... i think i could put all the peices together and do a show for you all....

11. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL

LOL! ...everything but William Hung, must be before my time. Who is he?

That Funk Master Flex show I think is the worst show in the history of TV!!! What an idiot! If he can do it I know F-chatters could pull off a successful show. :)

12. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

William Hung is right in your time if you watch certain shows on Fox. He's a bad "singer" who is famous for a bad "audition" for that puke of an excuse for television "American Idol."

Don't even ask me why I know this information, I'm trying to figure it out myself.

13. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
  14. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    sethmac....hdnet is a guy's network. bikini contests are broadcasted in hd. I think cars would be the next logical step. fast cars racing around with good sound. I would be in heaven. Hell I'll put the work in if there is even a glimmer of hope.
    thad

15. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I used to enjoy My Classic Car which is gone now. I also like the automobile episodes on The History Channel they focus on the cars and are informative not like the new shows. IMO there aren't really any decent car shows on anymore, it seems like just a lot of fluff.

16. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    This sounds like 'must see t.v.' to me. I've got to keep my eye out for it.

17. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    This spring, The Speed Channel should begin carrying a UK show that features european exotics. This might be what we are looking for. I think it's called "Sixth Gear" - but no other details beyond this.

18. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm so glad to read these comments about the lousy car shows on tv. I was beginning to think I was the only one who sees it this way. By far the best car show on tv right now is DREAM CAR GARAGE. Those guys actually know what they are talking about, you can actually learn something, and they show very cool cars be it a classic or new. I feel bad when I miss an episode of this show. But I surely can't say that about the other shows. Why can't they keep the camera focused on the car? Why do that have to keep moving around and twisting to different angles? Why does Funkmaster Flex have to "yell" at you about "whatcha got here is a....." I just can't stand it anymore....so I don't watch. I will watch Car & Driver because they are actually informative and occasionally show a cool sports car. Two Guys Garage used to be good, but now they keep showing how to put a fifth wheel on your truck, or how to apply extra tacky body cladding with adhesives. Too bad cuz Sam and Dave really know their stuff. Darn it frustrates me!

Could it be that we are too mature for these shows? Could it be that maybe this is the demagraphic that they want to reach out to? It seems to be more "lifestyle" stuff then car stuff. But looking at some of those "dudes" who don't pronounce their words properly, with incredible cars that they know nothing about, kinda makes me sick. Only in America can you quit school in the 6th grade and make a fortune "singing" songs that promote violence and degredation of our society. Sorry to rant.......I feel better now.

19. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron

Perhaps it's 5th Gear? With Tiff Needel.That would be a dream come true.

20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    5th Gear and Top Gear would be Godsends. I wish we could handle it. Hey, why don't we push BBC America to get that the heck over here for Saturday mornings? Come on, Eastenders can't be doing that well. Real grassroots F-chat petition we can all e-sign.

I have also wondered why Funkmaster Flex yells incessantly. Turn up the recording volume and speak normally. And why they have only been showing like 2 episodes repeatedly. It's always the Queen Latifah one. Speaking of yelling, why does the Motorweek guy speak so loudly?

Bluekawala: Even worse are the Super 2NR guys - two blond SoCal stereotype twins (Eminem wannabes if you ask me) who don't seem to know a good car if it ran them over. Or even at least talk coherently about cars.

I thought that the Rides with the Shelby prototype was a good show - esp. to see ol' Shelby driving around in it... but Jason Priestley (hey, the dude broke his neck racing, I'll give him that!) has a really awkward narration style: his syllable rhythym is off (maybe he got a crushed larynx too). Haven't bothered with any others.

The History channel has had some good documentaries on Land Rover and Rolls that I've seen. Not a lot of driving, per se, as much as stories and information.

What's with Meguiar wearing sooo much makeup on his show Car Crazy? Some nice interviews though.

But right now I would agree that Victory By Design is without equal for "experiencing" the cars. The format is repetitive for each car, but the walk around and the little details (pinning the hood, priming the choke, etc.) really make you feel you are familiar with operating those cars. Good mix of documentary info and trivia, and plenty of driving. The lack of music or SFX and just letting the sweet car sounds eminate is genius.

21. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    My information is from my fiancee that works in television. She isn't quite as interested in cars as I am, but she has a pretty good memory. I asked at least 5 times, "Sixth Gear?" - and she seems pretty confident. But she might have misread the memo, or perhaps the memo itself had a typo. Regardless, looks like Speed Channel is getting *something* to our liking sometime soon! I guess we will find out soon enough...