360 F1 question | FerrariChat

360 F1 question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by noahlh, Mar 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Hey folks,

I picked up an '00 360 F1 a few days ago and have been having the time of my life driving around the past few days and getting used to this amazing piece of machinery.

A question about the F1 operation: I've noticed that at VERY slow speeds, both going forward (i.e. crawling through midtown NYC rush-hour traffic) and reverse (backing into a parking space), the car is very jerky -- the clutch seems to be engaging and disengaging about once a second, and the car lets off a "VROOM...VROOM...VROOM...VROOM" sound. This doesn't happen when I give it more solid launch (i.e. 0 -> 10+ mph).

I've basically written it off as saying "Ferraris aren't made for midtown traffic", but I wanted to make sure this was normal for the F1 system. Is it?

Thanks,

--Noah

2. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    That happens when your foot is not firm on the gas pedal. Brace your foot against the central tunnel plate to prevent toe bounces. Be committed to the amount of power you're applying. The computer will get confused if your action is wishy-washy. Traffic shouldn't be any problem.

3. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    That definitely sounds logical, and it would fit well with my "new owner"ness, just getting used to the car.

Could you explain a bit more about how I handle very low power situations? (i.e. crawling)...are you saying I just need to be either very gentle or very firm, and the car will respond accordingly? I seem to be having trouble with just the gentle part...

4. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    The key is making smooth, deliberate foot movements.

5. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003

I think the key is very deliberate movements of the throttle. In heavy traffic you will still have a problem because as the fly wheel and clutch really start to heat up the action is inconsistent so it will operate with no jerkiness one minute and not the next.

It just takes getting used to and its a small price to pay for the fun you get on an open road!! I think fact is for heavy city traffic manual is the way to go no matter how good these systems are its on the open road they excel

6. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    you will quickly get used to it.

7. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Go to an empty parking lot... like when you (or anyone) was first learning to use a clutch from a stop, you have to learn to "feather" the throttle and the clutch... to feel the car and hold or slightly release or slightly add power... you have to avoid giving it too much, getting a lurch and then releasing too much (causing it to disengage) and so on.

With a new driver and a normal tranny, you get the car lurching forward and release... the stereotypical little jerks. With the F1, you have a pro trying to modulate the clutch in response to your actions on the throttle... so with the pro on the clutch, you don't get the horrible lurching, but you do give the poor clutch operator a workout to prevent it.

In the empty parking lot, practice easing on the throttle for different speed launches from a brisk launch down to a gentle crawl... feel the clutch engaging at different speeds based on how far and how quickly you push down the throttle. Try easing on slowly and just a bit to see just how slowly you can ease it forward... and try the same in reverse (little different due to gearing). Then, knowing that slowest smooth speed, practice easing into and out of parking spots at that speed.

If you are experienced with a manual, 10 or 20 minutes of playing with it where there is zero traffic worries and zero pressure... and you'll be driving like a pro for ever more. If you have been an auto tranny driver to date, it may take you a while longer to get comfortable with it.

Hope that helps.

8. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Guys...GREAT info...thanks so much.

I'm both appreciative and relieved to know that it's definitely a driver issue and not a 360 issue...:)

Now for some driver training....

nlh

9. forzarich

forzarich Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Dorset, UK
    I have something similar, I am told there is a certain amount of adjustment that can be done, might be worth a trip to the dealer or try another one to see how it compares, mine seems to be getting worse the more used to it I get :(

10. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    All the F1's are basicly the same . i have had four of them and recently on the 03 and 04 models they have improved dramaticly.

11. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I have an 01 and recently fitted an 03 gearbox ECU. A significant improvement in operation and smoothness - and much cheaper than replacing the car.

12. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I have to agree, I had an '02 and the '03 is alot better, it must be the programming.

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

It seems like the quicker you get the car in 2nd the less jerkiness. Mine is an '01 and after owning the car for almost 5 months I still don't have perfectly smooth take offs every time.

14. ddemet

ddemet Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Switzerland (VD)
    when slowing to a halt dont forget to get the box into neutral (pull both paddles at the same time). Makes it much smother and makes life easier for the clutch too (ie it will last longer).