Napolis, Look familar? | FerrariChat

Napolis, Look familar?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Texas Forever, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #1 Texas Forever, Mar 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    :D, race any car seriously and you will get that frontal damage. If you are worried about stone chips DON'T enter a race series. All my club race cars had their fronts beaten by stones over the years ... nothing that a good wash and repaint (if necessary) won't fix ;)

Pete

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Hey, Dale...

When we were judging in New Orleans, we were told not to deduct points from cars that exhibited evidence of having been tracked the day before...

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    NNO,

You are a concours judge now!, man you have climbed the Ferrari tree real fast ;)

Pete

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The good things in life remain the same...

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Last weekend at Daytona, Ducati's 999R record setting/pole sitting entry retired from the race with a stone through the oil cooler. Yikes.

7. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    QUOTE=NNO]Hey, Dale...

When we were judging in New Orleans, we were told not to deduct points from cars that exhibited evidence of having been tracked the day before...[/QUOTE]

Now I understand why I got so many points deducted in New Orleans!!!
    NNO was a judge and the car was tracked a few times....
    Roland
    F40LM

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    amazing ! more ??

9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    What Maserati needs to do is sell a street coupe with that same trim and fascia (and even a color-matched vented hood and racing-look BBS wheels).

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Maserati needs a total restyle... IMO...

11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    The car has been well driven. :)

12. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    A beautiful car in person - the one I saw had what looked like a completely stock dash, with piping, in addition to the usual racing goodies.

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

I can take more pictures if you like. FOH has this car tucked away into an alcove so it’s hard to get frontal shots.

But seeing it really reminded me of Napolis’s P4, and all the flak that he has been getting from certain quarters over his car. Originality in a race car? Originality in a 60's race car? Originality in a Ferrari race car from the 60s? You are kidding, right?

These cars were built to be crashed. It was just the nature of the game (and it still is). They were state-of-the art, but they were still throwaway cars. If a car lasted an entire season, it was a miracle.

Don’t get me wrong. I applaud those who watch out for fakey do cars. There is so much money on the table that sooner or later somebody is gonna be tempted to make a fast buck. But based on my experience with old Brit bikes, this stuff is so easy to fake that paperwork and stampings are almost meaningless. I have been offered, more than once, a set of “dealer stamps” for use in restamping old bikes.

Plus, who knew that these cars would be considered works of art someday? Luigi knew that he was supposed to put a chassis’s stamp on that frame, but who really cared? The fact that paperwork or stamping are missing doesn’t mean squat. (I’m not saying that they are missing from Napolis’s car. He has said repeatedly that all will be disclosed in time.) Likewise, merely having paperwork or stamps doesn’t mean squat.

At the end of the day, I truly hope that all the so called experts examine this car in its totality. Is it a Ferrari? Is it a P4? Does it appear to be chassis number whatever? Are there any other known cars with this number? I would like to think that the experts can answer these questions based on a careful examination of the car itself, rather than on stories spread by envious competitors.

What is really important is that Napolis has resurrected this beautiful car from the scrap pile. Where before, we had a few twisted pieces of pipe and sheet metal, we now have this wonderful car forming right before our eyes. Personally, I don’t give a hoot about Napolis’s financial motivation for bringing this car back from the dead. All that matters is that is now more beauty in the world than there was before.

Rock on, my man. Rock on.

Dr “Nostalgic” Tax

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I once read that more Corvettes have been titled in the US, than were ever manufactured! ;)

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Before you over restore your old race car think about what this one would be worth today in exactly this condition...

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well said! Must be what Mr. Risi is thinking, eh???

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I believe Audi kept the dirt on all of the Lemans cars, for display!

18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yeah, dat's the pic that I was thinking of. Interesting to compare this to the new Maser racer. Is Daytona particularly hard on cars due to the sand and such? I have never seen any pics of LeMans racers looking this beat up.

DrTax

19. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, Pete... Having the chance to be a judge's assistant in New Orleans was an honor and a learning experience... i can thank John Houghtaling for that...

Roland, i wasn't judging the super car class, but you can bet that if i did...

...i would've been very fair. :D

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    In the old days they didn't change the nose right before they crossed the line for the photo opp. Remember at LeMans you drive futher than an F1 cars drives all season. Mud,Blood,Sweat, Tears, and duct tape.

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    When men were men.....and women were glad of it! LOL

What ever happened to that fine blond from "Lemans" anyway?
    Did she age as gracefully as the cars?

I read she and Steve only "got along".

22. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Napolis:

Ditto your comments. In 2001 at the races in Monteray the Corvette was the marque (model?). They had the GT class winning corvette straight from its class win at LeMans. (oh crap, was it Daytona?) Anyway, that was teh dirtiest car I'd ever seen in my life. It was sandblasted, and it was beautiful! The dirt lookes like flames when its aquired at 200MPH. At some point in the race the car lost a tire and a side panel was slightly torn off. Chevy kept it like that on the stand and the crowd loved it!

At the first rendition of the FQC, when it was just a Concorso element and an overnight party at party a plantation. Giuseppie told me he was going to bring Steve Earl's 360 Challenge car that had just won at Indy (no big deal now, but we sort of thought it was a gass at the time because this was the first running of F1 at Indy, and the first Ferrari ever to win a race at Indy (the challenge race started before the F1 race). I remember insisting on the phone "Dont wash it!! Dont wash it!!!) He didnt. And everyone loved it.

Another, even MORE silly story to show how completely demented sporty-car people can be. When Jim Spiro first brought home 0808, and our mechanic was going threw it he noticed that the feul filter had never been changed on the car. At least as it appeared this was the same filter than ran in the car at LeMans on to its win in 1962. There was a lot of dirt in it. And we kept it!!! That was well earned dirt!

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I hope you kept it on a shelf, and put a new one in the car!

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I've got a big box I'm saving, and when the next owner asks about originality, I'll hand him the melted fuse blocks, bad wires, old plugs, frozen water pumps, worn belts, and say "It is if you take these!"

25. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    This was probably my favorite car at Daytona this year. The sounds it made were just wonderful!!

I have dozens of pics of it through the race.
    First pic is in the garage across from "our" car (Team Seattle Daytona Prototype).
    Second is early in race, before rain started.
    Third is after 23.5 hours of racing, still running strong, and looking like it's been around the globe a few times.