range rover vs cayenne | FerrariChat

range rover vs cayenne

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 95spiderman, Nov 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    thinking of getting the wife one of above. i like the idea of 450 hp but $100k for a truck is little nutty. what does fchat prefer for comfort or status

2. 98wahoo

98wahoo Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    if it's for her. why not let her pick?

from my experience, i think the RR has a more attractive interior and exterior. I would assume that neither one will be fun to take in for service, although I imagine the RR would go in more often (as they are far from reliable). That being said, Cayennes aren't selling very well, and apparently you can get turbos for 20k off msrp in chicago, and the s model is about 8k under msrp. I don't know if I would want to have one knowing the major depreciation that car will have.

3. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Neither. Id get an H2.

4. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    I'd think about the Range Rover while it still has a BMW engine. Eventually, Ford will save $ by putting their own engine in it. Also, the RR has a drop dead gorgeous interior with wood trim that actually looks like real wood and gives it an ambience untouchable by the competition.

5. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Allan,

I got an H2 and the thing is really not quite as cool as I thought it would be. Although I must admit, it feels kind of cool to get such a commanding view of the road. I'm going to have to get a car for Boston and I think the Cayenne Turbo is going to have to be the one. I've been toying with the idea of an H1. Definitely not the Range Rover.

Cheers

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Look at the VW Toureg, same chassis as P-car and better looking.
    The mags love it.

7. 98wahoo

98wahoo Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    since he's interested in status, you can pretty much forget aobut a vw

8. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    My vote goes for a Lexus GX470. Decent power (won't win races, but then, it is an SUV), loads of comfort, and tons of technology. I don't know about the status factor though, cause there's tons of them around.

9. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    serviced a few of these new 2002-on, new rr,they haven't been any trouble,easy to diy service if you are into that,e-38 was more troublesome,new rr is a bmw,
    ps,lambo's on test top gear 8pm sunday 16 november(bbc 2)
    cheers
    Dale.

10. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
  11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I have a 03 Range, and I love it. More of a man's truck then the Porsche in terms of styling. I love the feel and drive of it as well.

12. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    My vote would be for the the Rangie between the two, but my favorite suv is the G55. Great combination of luxury, styling and performance. Just my .02.

13. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I think the RR interior is gorgeous and it has more classic lines. The Porsche is nice but as I see more of them I just don't think they look as nice.

14. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I would pick the Range Rover; it's a great car. If you want another option, check out the Mercedes G500. It's a great SUV, although the styling is not to everyone's taste. I have one and I love it; however, I still love and Range Rover. If I was in the market for another SUV, i'd pick the RR over anything else.

15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ever drive a turbo Cayenne? My wife put 10K miles on her's since Aug.
    Service? There is none. 20K oil change 100K engine service. Depreciation? With the glut of luxury cars all high end cars are suffering much more depreciation. Hey if it's her car let her deceide. That's worked for me for 32 years.

16. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC

17. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    My vote is Range Rover, Pure elegance.
    For reliability and class, Lexus LX470.

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

19. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

20. 98wahoo

98wahoo Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    i'll try and get ahold of my friend tonight and get the name of the dealership in Chicago that's doing the deep discounting.

21. 98wahoo

98wahoo Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    ok, i talked to him...it's the Porsche Exchange in Chicago...high volume pcar dealer with roughly 3 dozen cayennes on the lot.

22. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Maybe I'm confused, but three cayennes are a lot? I just visited the local Momentum Porsche in Houston for a project in school and they had some 20 Cayenne S's (give or take five) and one Cayenne Turbo I could point out in a second, they might've had more of each in the back or something also.

I'd go for the Cayenne Turbo, but maybe i'm biased, I just love that truck.

23. 98wahoo

98wahoo Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    read it again...3 dozen

24. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    another vote for the RR. I like the cayenne's but like the styling of the RR. It's easily one of the best suvs out there. For the price range your looking at you might even wanna look at a hummer h1. just for your info bmw is coming out with another performance x5 (4.8is?) which should be pretty hot and cost quite a bit less that the RR and porsche.

25. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Cayennes not selling well? YTD over 20,000 units.
    H1? Before you buy one I'd drive one first. It may NOT be quite what you're looking for.