Best laptop for video editing? | FerrariChat

Best laptop for video editing?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Ferrari 1, Mar 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 1

Ferrari 1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Benn Correale
    What would be the best laptop to get to do video editing for around $1000.?

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    $1000 is very tight. I do know of the new Dell Inspirons which have a 7200rpm hard drive. But the Inspirons are more of a portable desktop, rather than a notebook.

3. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

That's a tough one. Often the video cards on laptops are not sufficient for editing and you get a ton of pixelization. Why must you use a laptop? They heat up very quickly and unless you are plugged into the wall, editing will drain the battery quickly. Also, for you to see the finished product while you edit, you need to be hooked up to a video monitor... that's why a laptop doesn't make sense to me...

Here is my editing setup:

Hardware:

1. Sony VIAO PCV-RX550 1.5Ghz tower
    2. 19inch sony monitor
    3. 27inch sony television
    4. Xtasy 9200 256mb 8x AGP video card

Software:

Vegas Video 4.0
    Cool Edit Pro 2.0 (for advanced audio edits/denoising/dehissing)
    Adobe Premier (have it but haven't used it)
    Adobe After Effects (have it but haven't used it)

Hope that helps.

Nick

4. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    I just recently edited a video from a past drive in SoCal.

I used a Apple 12" PowerBook G4. I love apple, they already even have a program called iMovie which is very easy and quick to use, it is what I used. So if you are interested in a Macintosh, I highly suggest it, but you won't find a newer one for $1000.

If you want to see the work that I did on my movie, it should get posted up in the So Cal section within a few days.

-David

5. Ferrari 1

Ferrari 1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Benn Correale
    Thanks for chiming in guys, I really appreciate it. He does all of his serious editing on the home computer, but wants a laptop to be able to do some editing "on the fly". I am looking into the Dell Inspiron and the Apple Powerbook G4, on your recommendations. Do you know if they come with a Firewire port? He's running Premier 6.0 software, if that makes a difference.

My wife does get a substantial discount on IBM and Dell products through her work.

6. tw1nturb0

tw1nturb0 Karting

Feb 2, 2004
    Apple ti-book hands down.

7. Ferrari 1

Ferrari 1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Benn Correale
    What's that? I've never heard of it. Any more info you can share?

8. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    APPLE (period) G4 if you can swing it but I am using a I book and it is great as long as you don' t over cook... getting new 17 G4 in a month....

NO OTHER option (IMHO)

9. tw1nturb0

tw1nturb0 Karting

Feb 2, 2004
    it's the titanium powerbook you mentioned, sorry 'bout that. out of the box it by far outperforms pcs for on the fly editing video and audio. same old story about the multitasking ability, process designation and speed... apple is the way to go.

10. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    17inch Apple Powerbook

DrS

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I have a 12" G4, got Final Cut Express (the full version of Final Cut is real pro software)... just bought a digital video camera though and haven't even used it yet. But I'm a Mac user and highly recommend them (after growing up on PC).

12. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    The new G5 tower is the best out there. But for a $1000 laptop, definetly get a pc. I grew up on Mac and have switched to PC because of the market. Mac's are great machines, but until they get more marketshare I am sticking with PC.

13. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Well, it's closer to $5k than $1k, but Apple's 17" (or 15") Powerbook G4s rule this arena.

I'm typing this on an older 15" Titanium model (the new/current ones are actually aluminum. Faster guts though.) iMovie is actually quite good, and Final Cut Pro runs well too. Don't do anything above DV on it however. (eg, uncompressed D1.)

I have a $0.25mil Silicon Graphics based PIRANHA system in my office (soon to be in my home office) for 2k film and HD work. Tower macs are a good bridge between these two classes of machine.

14. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Take it from someone that has spent literally $$$$$$$$$$ on computer gear over the last thirty years...

Apple Computer Powerbook G4

I've owned dozens of the Titanium Powerbook G4's, and now the aluminum models that are known as the 17",15", and 12"

All have firewire ports to link to your other gear (video cameras, decks, etc)

Final Cut Pro 4 for professional work, or iMovie for simplicity in editing the home movies.

The Powerbook G5 is rumored to be coming within the next 6 months...

15. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    The PC laptop may cost less to buy but down the road will cost you more in lost time due to troubleshooting, viruses, etc. The powerbook costs a lot more but is by far the best laptop for the job. I am still using a 4 year old Pismo Powerbook and have used it for basic DV work. Almost trouble free. I love the powerbook. IT JUST WORKS!!

16. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Listen to DJS, he is a wise man...

17. Trinacria

Trinacria Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Baldassare Guzzo
    $1000 is tough. Go with a used Apple Powerbook. You won't be sorry.

18. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    If you go used, a Pismo model is great (G3, but almost as fast for most work as the Titanium G4s, has firewire, takes a gig-o-ram, etc.) Can be had for $~800. For $1k you MIGHT be able to pick up a very-1st-gen G4.