Ok, enough of this Ferrari dominance | FerrariChat

Ok, enough of this Ferrari dominance

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by bobafett, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Better watch out, this is how Max will make the races "more interesting." Lifted from MBW.

--Dan

2. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    The thing is though, Ferrari would still be faster!

3. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    LOLOLOL too funny

4. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    from what I saw at the track last weekend, you're right :)

5. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    That cartoon is too funny,but thier right,how are they going to penalize Ferrari again this year if they dominate? It's just epidemic these days , blame others for your problems and don't take responsibilities for bettering yourself.Eat too much and don't exercise,it's McDonalds fault!

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I would like to see MS have to start from the pits, and let the other gain a single lap ... now that would be interesting. With his current pace I think he could do it and man what a demonstration that would be :D :D

But don't tell Bernie about my suggestion ;)

Pete

7. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Why don't they just declare the ugliest looking car wins the WCC so they can lay the FW26 to rest, along with that sorry excuse of an aerodynamic effect they like to call a nose cone.

Seriously tho, it is only the first race. It is a long season, and I would caution my fellow Tifosi about jumping to conclusion too early they same way that most of you were just so ready to hand the WDC and WCC off to Williams-BMW when Ferrari unveiled their un-revolutionary F-2004. :)

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes and I think I was one of them ... silly me, just worried I guess.

The magazines and F1 sites are blaming the huge win margin on the cold temperatures suiting the Bridgestone tyres. While this definitely helped Ferrari on race day, it was not exactly cold on the other days, and every time the Ferraris took to the track they went straight to the top of the time sheet ...

Anyway time will tell, and I am sure others will step up to the plate.

Pete

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well I glad that Ferrari is mopping up the field. They are making up for the past decades of very poor performance. But lets not forget the driver. It wasn't until Shumie showed up that Ferrari started winning again. He, in my opinion, is the reason for Ferrari's dominance.

10. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thats a really funny picture. Its like political satire at its best.

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Reversed grid anybody?

Welcome to my camp, Pete. It is never too late...
    :)

12. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the reverse grid idea has always been a good one, and would make for a great show, but you would have to give out the same points scheme for qualifying as for the race, otherwise nobody would try.
    so ferrari could conceivably get 36 points every race !

13. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    I think reverse grid is a great idea. The current scheme promotes the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer, and leads to some boring races. In the olden days the local sprint car track always lined up on Friday nites in this reversed manner. The whole concept of qualifying could just go out the window and line up in reverse order by accumulated points, or average finishing positions of previous races. Obviously the first race of the season would need a rule, but that wouldn't be too hard. Hottest team umbrella girl or something equally as fascinating.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    All true. I wasn't thinking of using qualifying anymore. We would loose that completely, but have some really cool races a la Silverstone 2003.

15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the only way the reverse grid order would have a hope of approval from the teams (and remember a unanimous agreement is required), is if the points were attached to grid position 1-8 with the equivalent race points.
    ferrari/williams/macca would go for it because they think they have a good shot at maximizing both games.
    the middle of the pack would go for it since either not much would change in their world (and they would use it to scratch back some tv money from bernie), or they might have a shot at a few points more than before.
    the back end of the grid would immediately vote for it because their cars would get undue exposure at the front of the track on race day, and may occasionally get lucky at places like monaco and actually win !

so now thats settled, who here has the ear of max mosley?

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think one of the biggest selling points of reversed grid is, that it makes the show instantaneously more entertaining by leaps and bounds and requires absolutely no changes on the cars or tracks. Which is why I didn't understand it wasn't even mentioned after the 2002 season when Max pondered all kinds of goofy ideas to make the sport more attractive again.

And it's not even that terribly new, other motorsports classes do it already.

17. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J

A--f&% ckin -- men! That's what I'm screaming! It's up to the others to LIFT their game...not dumb-down Ferrari!

18. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Haha!
    Great pic!

Seriously, I don't understand why everyone is blaming Ferrari for making F1 boring. Today I read an article with DC talking and he said Ferrari is bad for formula 1. But thats not true , its McLaren and Williams that are hurting F1 with their poor performance.

19. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Are you saying that we need to let loose Psyco people onto the track in the middle of the race????

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yeah, let's have some Christians vs the lions games. Throw them in front of the cars, huahuahua!

What I meant was, that the Silverstone race showed us the effects of reversed grid to some degree as it completely shook up the order of the field and top runners had to fight their way back to the front.

Think about it: Which race had the most dramatic wheel to wheel fights last year? British GP, yes. Why? Because of that loon, but reverse grid would do the same without endangering anybody.

21. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Of course with the loon factor thrown in teams can not stratagize the race since they will not know when or where the bozo Would pop out at. Plus it does not have to be human the marshals could always drop ping pong balls or a blow up doll on to the racing surface....

I think what made the Britidh GP so good was that none of the teams expected the Loon and had to change there race stratagy on the fly.

rob

22. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    dont forget about rubens!! its not like he's finishing in the middle of the field and michale finishes 1st. he's always right behind his team mate. and an incredible driver in his own right

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not sure about that. I think what made that race so great was, that everybody used the unexpected yellow/safety car situation to change tires and refuel and chaos was the consequence in the pits. Some drivers had to wait until they were serviced, that threw the order out of shape and some great runners (like the Ferrari boys) were all of a sudden in mid field as they exited the pits.

Theoretically we had similar situations in some of the rain races, but there the wet surface kinda overpowers the confusion. That's what made Silverstone such a classic: Perfect racing conditions, which allowed for real fighting and a completely random grid.

24. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    But without MS Ferrari would not be what they are today. Rubens yes is a tallented driver but i dont think that if RB was the #1 driver that the team would have pulled in Ross and Rory. Ferrari built the team around Micheal and Rubens became a better driver because of it.

25. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Why not throw out the safety car without warning and where it picks up the field the car first behind the safety car on the lead lap becomes the new leader of the race.

The one stipulation is that the safety car can only be sent out this way between 35 - 55 % race distance and at tracks that have the ability for overtaking.