328 GTS: Something under my passenger seat? Lojack? | FerrariChat

328 GTS: Something under my passenger seat? Lojack?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Nationaltec, Mar 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Guys,

Under my 1986 328GTS passenger seat, I have some electronic device that I couldnt identify. ( car is 62 miles away getting 30K major, sorry no picture )

So before I start tearing everything apart I thought I'd ask for everyone's advise.

My thoughts are it cant be an stereo amplifier (no RCA jacks). Possibly an old cell phone system or maybe even a lojack locator.

DETAILS: The rear of the device faces my engine compartment and I do recall these facts.

Black box- 1 1/2 " in height, X 8" W , ~ 10" long

BNC COAX connector - (some antenna) w/ RG58 or RG59 cable connected

RG-9 type serial port connector- ( nothing connected though)

About 4 additional wires, (power related in gage)

It's neatly wire bundled and the wires & coax cable go up into the door jam coverings. (looks professionally done).

The car has no spare antenna's or unique modifications that I've found.

(previous owner had no idea it was even there)

Any suggestions? My mechanic has never seen one of these either..

I'd appreciate any help

Thanks
    Patrick

I'm getting the car back in a few days.. I'll follow-up with pictures.

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    The car wasn't seized from a drug dealer in Escondido was it?

3. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Patrick,

Here are my thoughts,

I don't think it's a Lojack, the Lojack unit is a lot smaller than that and not that easily found in a vehicle. I am assuming there is no writing or label on the box?? Even if you find a company logo would help identify it or a model number of some sort.

My best guess would be that it is posibley the remaining equipment from a posible navigation system that use to be in the car??? Your guess could be close too, posible an old amp for a cell phone too ????

I think you meant a DB-9 connector not RG-9...

Get some pictures on here of the unit if you can, that may help....

Tod

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    W/a coax connected, My guess is that if it isn't a cell phone setup, it's the main electronics for a CB rig that had the controls in the microphone. They were pretty popular in the late '80s.

Couple of things to try:

0) Go to the luggage compartment & see if the antenna is plugged into a little box that splits the CB signal off from the AM & FM signals. The box usually has a couple of small adjustment screws on the side to match the antenna to match the CB & radio cables.
    1) Unscrew it from the floor & see if the mfg's lable is on the bottom side.
    2) Open it up & see if there's a mfg's lable inside (Had to do this to figure out a black box under my Rx7's seat - turned out to be an UnGo security system. Keys fob, doc's, etc. long lost of course.)

If all else fails, take a pix of the insides of the box & post them, maybe someone will recognise them.

5. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    It's the titanium warp drive module conductor-compacitator flex-ring seal. Part # 002849576382827 I think. LOL

6. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    Your so close TIFOSI69.....
    its whats left over from the removal of the FluxCapacitor.
    Ive seen one in a 80's Delorean.

but seems more like a cell phone amp in this case.

7. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Capacitor...OH, I knew I mispelled it.

8. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Sorry to leave everyone hanging... but the cas has been in for major service since Feb 12th.. I'm scheduled to pick the car up on Friday...

I'll post pictures before I start tearing things up ..

I'm still thinking a cell phone box as well.

Just in case, I faxed the forms into Lojack to verify if one was ever installed. Should have an answer in a few days.

Patrick