360 Challenge BBS Wheels | FerrariChat

360 Challenge BBS Wheels

Discussion in '360/430' started by Hubert888, Nov 14, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Are the 360 Challenge BBS Wheels street legal or for track only? Someone at the Ferrari of Long Island dealership told me that the 360 Challenge BBS wheels are easily "crackable" than the stock 360 rims and that they weren't allowed on the streets.

Is this true? I really like the 360 challenge wheels better than the 360 stock ones and might want to switch.

2. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Buddy of mine has the BBS Challenge wheels on his 360 Modena F1 (road car) and drives it all the time without any problems whatsoever. They look great on his car -- I like the look as well.

3. HGParts

HGParts Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2003
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Heiko from HGParts
  4. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
    These are street legal :

5. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
    Nice wheel ...

6. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    #6 dan360, Nov 15, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ferrari dealers are strongly discouraged from selling the challenge wheels as they're not homologated for the US. Hence the "softer and easily damaged by the road" stuff.

I find it hard to imagine that a race wheel designed to ride curbs at speed is less strong than the standard wheels :)

Anyway I have a set but keep them with Slicks for the track.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Two issues here.

1. "Street legal"? I suspect strongly that the answer is "yes". I'm not aware of any Federal mandate for wheel strength. Looking at some of the giant, chromed, crappy wheels made out of tin being sold today, I'm sure that BBS wheels would meet any such theoretical Federal standard.

2. "Softer" than street wheels? I was told the same thing when I bought 355 Challenge wheels for my 355 - that I should not drive on the street with these wheels, as they were made out of magnesium and would be more likely to be damaged by road contact. Sounds reasonable, no? Then Rob S. pointed out that the 355 street wheels (and 360 wheels for that matter) were also made out of magnesium. I know of several people that run Challenge wheels on the street without problems.

Just my $.02.

vty,

--Dennis

8. manu

manu Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2002
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Manu

IF YOU GUYS WANT BRAND NEW SETS AND CAN WAIT (FOR AROUND 6 WEEKS) THEN DROP ME A PERSONAL MESSAGE.

9. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Thanks for all the input.

The 360 Straddale wheels are different than the 360 Challenge BBS ones? or are they the same?

--Dennis[/QUOTE]

10. Ferrari360

Ferrari360 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Wheels for passenger cars must be DOT certified. Challenge wheels are not and Stadale wheels of course, are. CH wheels are 18", Stadale 19". Challenge wheels can more easily be damaged than stock wheels, although most people with them on thier 360's (such as myself) are very careful and experience no damage.

Challenge wheels with the appropriate tires (Michelin Pilots work very well) will significantly improve the handling and cornering of the 360.

11. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    Not entirely true. While OEM's may be DOT-approving their rims, the billion dollar aftermarket wheel business is free to sell anything they want. BBS is also an aftermarket supplier.

12. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    They're a similar design but not the same. IMO the BBS CH design is smarter. If I had the money, I would order my Challenge Stradale with 19" BBS CH, not the standard CS rims.

blown94conv likes this.
  13. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    Garretto, the Challenge wheels used for the series are 18's not 19's.

14. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    For people who have 19" rims on their 360s....do you feel considerable differences while driving as compared to 18"s? and have you encountered more or less problems with them?

15. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Believe it. BBS Racing will always tell you their race wheels are not for the street. But people do it, so fine, but it is true. Road wheels are designed for more abuse.

There are quality standards to adhere to like T.U.V. and J.I.C. in addition to basics like QS9000 if you want to supply auto manufacturers. Look at the symbols cast into the wheels for JIC.

BTW, I like the BBS Challenge wheels better too. :)

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

16. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    I know. I didn't say they were 19's. I just said that I would order my 360 CS with 19's BBS CH.

What you seem to ignore is that the Challenge wheels used for the series are manufactured by BBS and are called type 'CH'. These wheels are aftermarket wheels for many cars out there. Sizes go from 18 to 20 inches. Myself I have seen an Audi A3 with 18 inch BBS 'CH' type wheels, exactly the same as the 360 Challenge use for the series.

17. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I was told the 360 wheels are aluminum.

Gary

18. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    My dealer, FNE, wouldn't sell me challange wheels for my 360. Said they are too light for northern roads, potholes, frost bumbs etc and crack too easily. Could be the warranty lawyers talking here.

They dure do look good however and may be fine for Florida or similiar no frost areas.

19. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    360 wheels are magnesium

20. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Tire rack wont sell the BBS CH wheels for Ferraris. I wonder if the offset and bolt pattern for a 360 matches any vehicles that they do list on the website. Anyone know ?

21. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    No. The bolt pattern matches no other car on Tire Rack. This has been tried to death already.

Ernesto

22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The factory F355 wheels are Magnesium (or at least stone bruises oxidize like magnesium and not like aluminum).

23. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    are they 18" for a 360? PM to me please.

24. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    You realize this is a 14 year old thread, trying contact that sponsor direct

25. Reddesire348

Reddesire348 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    You realize this is a 14 year old thread, trying contact that sponsor direct............................

Ha ha the poor bugger. You burst his bubble now !?!?

For the record the original 18" BBS Challenge wheels are illegal in Australia due to the high Magnesium content making them more brittle and more prone to shattering if you hit a pot whole or curb. However the 19" Challenge Stradale rims are fine and were offered as an accessory on the F430's but not for the non CS 360's even though they fit fine ! I was told that the 360 CS guys got their noses out of joint when Ferrari offered the 19' CS rims as an option on the later F430's !

Skidkid likes this.