attack in spain | FerrariChat

attack in spain

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by tifosi, Mar 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    Hope that no one on the board was personally affected and all family and friends are safe, terrible incident and those responsible should be pursued and brought to justice

2. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Just horrible. :(

3. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Thanks for worrying, I hope no one of our members in Madrid has been at all affected.

It's been a horrendous tragedy. Officially 192 people killed and 1,400 wounded.

It is a very sad day today :(

4. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    This is a horrible tragedy :(

These criminals MUST be brought to justice. I will be spending all next year in Spain so I feel a small connection to the country. So so sad...

5. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    What a terrible thing to happen!

I spent a week and a half in Spain last year, and it was probably the funnest week and a half of my life! I love Spain!

Is Atocha the station that has the pond with the turtles?

6. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    They're saying it's certainly al Qaeda responsible for the attack. If you remember, they bombed the Spanish cultural center in Morocco last year. al Qaeda blames Spain for getting involved on the "crusade" against Islam, since they supported the Iraq war and are a majority Christian nation.

7. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What these cowards do is disgusting.

8. bmwmpower48

bmwmpower48 Rookie

Mar 8, 2004
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Josh Kinard
    Well if al Queda actually followed Islam teachings they wouldn't be such a problem. Hopefully many people will be brought to justice.

9. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Even if they are brought to justice, we in the civilized world have no type of punishment that is proper for these kind of people. Even death is to good for them. Unless its a slow painfull one.

10. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I just called a close friend in Madrid. Luckily the city has resumed a little (telephone lines are a bit more normal, etc).

Seems that everyone there is still paralyzed. They are not entirely sure of who caused the explosion. Body count is still rising.

I am fortunate that he and his family/friends (and my other friends there) are all ok. One girl I know almost went on that train in the morning, but went home to switch shoes halfway there. Whew.

My sincerest condolensces to everyone out there suffering this atrocity. May the criminals be brough to light.

--Dan

11. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Glad to know that there all ok.

12. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    So the letter from al Qaeda claiming responsibility wasn't credible enough (I'm not being cynical, just like to know more about the investigation)?

13. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    What I was told by my friend there is this: ETA is most highly suspected, and this follows a lot of their conventional attacks, but the big thing is that they weren't tipped off. The last time I went to madrid, an hour before my flight landed, they blew up part of the airport parking structure, but luckily no one was hurt (again, called in). Of course my friends were concerned, but that's another matter.

That's where this one is off - no advance warning. But all other signs, I'm told, point to ETA. There is another group that is claiming that Al-Qaeda did it, but again as I understand it, Al-Q themselves did not take responsibility.

Just what I know. You're probably better off checking the news?

--Dan

14. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    If it turns out to be ETA and not Al Queda is the world going to be less outraged? Actually let me rephrase that, we Americans will be less outraged and go on about our business.

15. Kleos1

Kleos1 Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    Urbandale Iowa
    Full Name:
    Garry Haas
    No, because our war is on terror not Al Queda alone

16. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    Hold on...I know I've gotta bridge around here somewhere that I'm trying to sell.

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think so. ETA has been at this for years and there hasn't been a notable reponse from the American public/media/politics. There hasn't been a large scale anti-terrorism assault to crush them. If it is ETA, this might very well bring about a new, large military (NATO??) campaign against them.

18. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    No matter who is responsible, this was a planned, multi-staged attack, not an incident. 2 1/2 years to the calendar day, Spaniards must feel as bad as USAmericans did on 9/11 - and thereafter. I still remember not being able to sleep for days on end - someone is going through that now.

19. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

From what I hear it was Al-Q. Is it me or did this not get top attention in the news today? I had to hunt around on the net a bit for more details on it this morning i.e. PST(time). Hopefully we are not becoming more immune to these senseless tragedies.

20. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Damn it, im trying to find out what happened in spain but all i see on the CNN website is about 3 headlines about gay marriages.

21. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Here is something to think about.
    Had just watched a newscast, here in Toronto about this ....and the reporter indicated that it had been 911 days since 9/11.

Gives one pause to think, no?

hps

22. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    its been THAT long? it feels like it was last year.

23. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Which is exactly 2.5 years.

24. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

i wonder if anyone here sees the similarities between this thread and ones that sprang up here right after 9/11...

Then, there were several posters cautioning against (my) "a rush to judgement" -all so concerned that I might be too hard on some poor arabs by instantly blaming them without all of the evidence being heard. As I put it: "Yeah maybe it was those mean Austrailians, or those nasty Canadians. - Gee, who straps bombs on their bodies and runs into schoolyards and restaurants?"

Al Q has never really admitted to any wrongdoing anywhere; this is no different. I was somewhat shocked that everyone did not 1st think of them in connection with the mass murder of woman and children instead of the ETA. Shows how far into denial most of the world really is.

I 'll bet folding money this is the work of arab terrorists. Period.

25. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    now hearing its a combo between eta and alqueda. this is not farfetched since coordination between other terrorist groups have been discovered several times (ira/libyans for example). and it makes sense because this does not match eta's mo in any way, and they have been significantly diminished in the last year, whereas alqueda has needed a demo to show they can still pull something off outside a muslim country - and they have so far been unable to do so in the usa or uk (their prime targets).

btw, alqueda also used the same letter to take credit for the the turkish bombings and the bombing of the un hq in baghdad last august.

so if anybody in the usa thought the war against terror was over - they are sadly mistaken.....