New 1/18 scale models coming from BBR this year. | FerrariChat

New 1/18 scale models coming from BBR this year.

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Eric W, Mar 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eric W

Eric W Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #1 Eric W, Mar 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Ferrari118

Ferrari118 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Strasbourg, France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Eric, good news!!!!
    but the prices? like a Exoto? 200-250$?

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    As much as I love them to pick up on 1/18, why do they always have to build models, that already exist?

We have the Enzo and the 360 covered, thanks much. Go pick something else please, like the 308 GT/4 or 330 GTC etc. etc.

4. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    The P3 you have pictured is not from BBR and is not 18th scale. Its a 12th scale model from Mini Delta of Belgium. It will retail for $700.

Ed Cervo
    www.islandcollectibles.net

5. model builder

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    Also, I do not think the BBR models will be diecasts. I am pretty sure they will be resin model kits.

And one more thing. The $700 price tag for the 330P3 will be for the resin kit, not a built up. Us model builders are a serious bunch. I think the builts will be in the $2000 range if available.

Ed

6. Eric W

Eric W Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Eric
    From what I understand BBR will be making 1/18 in decast, no resin. They will not be hand built like their 1/43 resin models. Also, they will be made in China, not Italy.

I'm getting this info from Richard Poole of Biante.com.au

7. model builder

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    That is interesting. If Biante is the exclusive distributor then it is probably diecast. BBR has done diecast before but under a different name. This also makes sense since I received no official info about the 18th Enzo and I'm an authorized BBR distributor although I had known about the Enzo for some time.

Everyone thought it was going to be a 12th scale kit as that was the scale it was presented in at the show. But BBR builds there original patterns bigger and then shrinks them down.

However, I am sure about the 12th scale 330P3.

Ed
    IC, Inc

8. Dana_McCann

Dana_McCann Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Houston,Texas
    Full Name:
    Dana L. McCann

I have to concur with this notion, show me some other models to add to my collecion. At present, I am down to the last 4 models, bringing my total to 42 1/18 Street Ferraris, made of Diecast. I am just not into the resin, due mostly to the price.

9. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've searched for word of the 1/18th Ferrari Enzo, so far it doesn't look like it.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think there are still a lot more street Ferraris out there. And not even necessarily in resin, but we are talking now big bucks.

Also as far as BBR and Enzo and 360 goes: I thought Mattel had a deal with Ferrari as their only source, at least for these models. Hard to imagine somebody else would have the rights to make their own Enzo model.

11. Eric W

Eric W Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm not sure how this Hotwheels exclusive Ferrari license works. It's seems like certain companies are allow to continue to make Ferrari models. Exoto has been making 1/18 scale Ferrari F1's all along and BBR has been making hand built resin copies in 1/43. Kyosho through sub-licensing from Hotwheels is able to make 1/18 scale Ferrari as well.

Perhaps Hotwheels Ferrari license is coming to an end and we'll be seeing more qualiy Ferrari now.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    According to the latest issue of Forza the deal is just about to switch into high gear. They mention, that they're planning on focusing more on the vintage models.

I considered that great news. I still don't get the Hotwheels bashing around here. Granted they're not as good as Kyosho, but they are lightyears ahead of Bburago, which were for the longest time the measure of all things. Neither does Ertl nor a Maisto nor a Jouef stand a comparison.

13. gaggi

gaggi Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    Switzerland
    I do not think Hotwheels is at the end of the license, but the market of their products is not the same as Exoto or BBR cars. Similarly, this license did not prevent producing some cars at 1/43, such as Bang, Art Auto, Top Models, etc...At the same scale, for current F1, no one except BBR, but again the market is not the same.

Greg

14. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore

Agreed!! 100%!!

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thank you! I felt a bit lonely with my comment.

And Mattel is trying really hard: Look at the 612 Scag. The brake discs even turn while the calipers stay put (I hope I got my tech parts right here...).

And the fact, that Ferrari chose them must speak for them to some degree. They don't want to be associated with some crap company. Read the article in the latest Forza, it is interesting how close the cooperation is on the street car level. It also tells you how Ferrari does NOT give them any access to the racecars. Mattel has to make their own drawings from fotographs they take in public like anybody else. That's why the level of detail isn't there. Plus it is probably cost prohibitive for a model that gets outdated after one year.