why so many BMW's here | FerrariChat

why so many BMW's here

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by urraco, Mar 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    I've noticed that most F-owners also own a BMW as a daily driver...Does that mean I'm on my right way? (I own a Z3)

2. shelbee

shelbee Guest

No offense to BMW owner. I think the leather is kind of cheap, therefore I like MB better

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Sheesh. If pressed, I can think of maybe just a few aspects of automotive design and execution that rank higher than leather quality in importance. To each his own. I think BMW in general builds more involving cars than MBZ, and I also think the overall quality is higher. My second car is a 2002 M3, and my wife drives a 325Ci.

Gary

4. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I'm with you -- I have a 2003 M3 and it is much more of a "driver's car" than any MBZ I've driven. I can't comment on the other BMW's in the line up, but all of the M cars are really great cars -- quick, responsive and easy to drive.

5. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    The M series have a high grade Nappa same as the AMG Benz's. It's better than the standard leather in the Merc and Bimmer Line of cars. I have an 1995 E36 M3 and I have no cracks or splits in the seats. It still smells heavily of leather when you open the door also.

6. shelbee

shelbee Guest

They are meant to compete each other, but MB always slightly more expensive than Bimmer in the same class. But I guess the matter of personal preferences

7. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Dr.Shelbee,
    You are right they are direct competitors. The BMW have always been seen as the driver’s car and the MERC as the luxury cruiser. Up until BMW Banglized there cars I always preferred The BMW M series because of there driver involvement. The E36 being the best handling street car of it’s time according to Car and Driver Sept 1997 issue “The Best-Handling Car for More Than $30,000”.

8. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
  9. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Urraco,
    I have notice the same thing. It does seem driver involvement is a priority for Ferrari driver and the Ultimate Driving Machines seem to fit that bill on a day to day basis. I have a ’95 M3 that I will never get rid of. I have modded the thing (FK coilovers, full Schrick Cam kit, AA track pipe to UUC TSE exhaust). It’s an awesome car for Autox and mountain driving. It has a perfect balance being 50/50 and a great trainer for the future F355 owner.

10. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Woodear,
    I love your E46 that is classic ///M BMW before they go Banglized.

11. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Where is Jimmy540 and his Bimmer.

12. navygakman

navygakman Karting

Feb 15, 2002
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Stewart Chung
    I think you are either a Bimmer person or a Benz person. I have always liked Bimmers but I seemed to always end up with a MBZ, I think I have gone through 5 or 6 already in my life and I still have 2 right now. But yet to own one Bimmer.

They are both nice. My only criticism of Bimmers is that they look so much alike...

13. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks!
    Yep, the new direction of BMW styling is really not to my like, o well.

14. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Benz is very much alike now days too!
    I could not tell C lass from S class even from close, gotta be REAL close to tell, lol.
    Will take a CL600 anytime though, that's for sure, that's one of the very few cars I want despite being automatic only.

15. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    I love the new E55 AMG and it does LOOK better than the new M5 Concept. The M5 is going to have a great motor 5.0L V10 8500rpm+ and 500bhp but the body has been BANGLIZED. Sad really

16. navygakman

navygakman Karting

Feb 15, 2002
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Stewart Chung
    True. If you have Bimmers, you know all the Bimmers. If you have MBZs, then you can tell which one is which. Kinda like the human racial thing. To you white guys, we Asian guys all look alike. I am more known as "Dave Handa" to some local Ferrari folks. I just answer to any name - that does not help.

In fact we Asians do look alike! One day I should try walking into Dr Shelbee's clinic and start working on his patients :)

17. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Now that's funny. Don't forget us black guys we all look alike.LOL

18. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I own a 2004 m3 covertible(my 2cnd one, other was 2001) and a Ferrari 355f1 spider. MB are totally different cars than these two. They are way too sterile for a driver. MB are for cruisers and posers and BMW and Ferrari are for drivers. No offense to either, it is just a preference. I have been eyeing the MB lately with all the horsepower. WOW. But BMW will fire back soon and hopefully will close the gap. The new BMW styling is seriously questionable though. The 5 is horendous. The 6 at the autoshow was incredible. A salesman at BMW said the M5 was not in the pipe, but I have seen spy photos in mags with 10 cylinder 500hp mentioned. Who knows?

19. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Lol, hey I dispute that!
    I am Asian myself, I think I am very unique! :)
    Hehe I know what you mean.

20. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I think I must be the only F-car owner who does not like BMWs!!My daily drive is a Volvo C70 convertible.

21. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I have not met anyone who does not like the M3. i guess thats why it has benn on road and tracks top ten best list for like 11 out of 13 years. phenominal car.

22. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    My M3 is the best car I own...or ever owned. It is as near to perfect as it can be, as thrilling as my 360 to drive, a nicer interior with great heated seats and other niceties. I can't tell you how much I love it.

In an issue of Octane magazine (the greatest car mag on earth IMHO) Rowan Atkinson (aka Mr. Bean) spelled it out. With the 911 and M3, there is no reason to spend more, except for ego gratification.

There is nothing wrong with "pride" of brand name ownership. People do it every day starting with shampoo.

As to Mr. Bangle...I think he is getting the hint. The 4 series pics (the coupe replacement for the 330) coming in are HOT. Nice job

23. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Here we go again, 470+ HP BMW is what I have

24. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    I love that pic.

25. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Likewise, I love my E36 M3. But I cannot agree with "as thrilling as my 360 to drive". Not in the same league! But same basic idea! Most other cars cannot touch either for the driver experience. And as a versatile daily driver, the M3 of course has the 360 beat. If I had to have just one car, my M3 would be it.

In contrast, BMW's Roundel magazine had an article comparing some cars. They had a sidebar on the 360 in which they proclaimed the 360 to be driving perfection. So, a group of hardcore BMW enthusiasts whose livelihood depends upon the BMW could not bring themselves to either conclusion above... they, like me, pick the 360 for driving experience.

BMW is all about maximizing the driving experience in a practical and reliable package. Thus, its a natural fit for driving enthusiasts, which most FerrariChatters are.