What is a good beginner ferrari?.... | FerrariChat

What is a good beginner ferrari?....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by tacoz4sale, Mar 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tacoz4sale

tacoz4sale Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    I know this has been posted up a few times.....just want to get more opinions from people since the ferrarichat has been getting plenty of new members.

Would a ferrari 348/355 be a good beginner car?.....

what about the 308/288 conversion..does any body have any more pics of those?....new ones i mean...

are there any other things i should know about owning an f-car?....

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    1975 Dino 308GT/4 or 1977 308 GTB

3. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    The latest model made that is within your budget. They just keep getting better.

Rick

4. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    No doubt a 328 GTS/B

5. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    I agree with Rick, the newer cars just have it together. Of all the fcars I've driven, I found the 348 easier to drive than a 308. The 308 to me, had this 'clanky' feel to it in contrast. The TR was a beauty as well.

Yeah, be prepared to be hated and be an instant celebrity when driving one.

6. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

I don't know about hated, I hate every SUV driver I see, I've got no problems with the Ferrari drivers.

7. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    a 75 308GT4, most ponies of the 308 series, less BS on the engine, but powerful, no smog BS anymore especially in CA, parts are very reasonable, but buy one that has been restored already.

A big ditto here on the SUV's, fricking ridiculous POS's that gobble gas, at least when ours gobbles gas, we have severe fun! I don't drive next to em either, don't want that turd falling over on my baby if the driver goes too fast around a turn.

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    328 IMHO is a great starting place. Granted the newer models are more fun, but the big jump in maintenance cost begins with the 348.

308 GT/4 is a terrific car and probably the best bang for the buck.

288 Conversion:
    http://italianauto.com/page2.html

So if you plan on going that route, start out with a red 308 or 328 GTB with black interior. And be prepared to sink quite some $$$ into it. Best way would be to find an already converted car, but they're rare.

9. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Gotta agree with a 328 recommendation. Mine has been almost bulletproof. Very few problems, exciting performance & looks. Less expensive for maintainence.

10. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    348 or Testarossa then later you can move into a 355. 360 isn't worth owning for me. So I am stock with the 355. In the future, one day I hope F40.

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Or you can be like Rick & make the F40 your first F-Car - Can't gor wrong with that! :)

Seriously, I started with a 328 and it was the perfect car to begin Ferrari ownership with.

I'm already looking to upgrade though for more power!

12. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    There is a great looking '79 308GT4 on Ebay right now. Red with boxer trim. Don't know what the reserve is though.

13. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    Steve Harris Imports in Salt Lake thinks the best beginning Ferrari for a new F-car owner is a 328. The last time I heard that was a few years ago, so maybe things have changed.

IMO, I think the best beginning Ferrari is a 328 GTS or a TR.

14. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Mondial. Great prices. Any is fine, but 83-88 are really good.

15. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Then you'll love this:

www.fuh2.com

16. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Words of wisdom, this is true bcus newer cars have less issues, the AC works better, they have more power , better handling & you are less likely to be dissapointed, unless that is you are a mechanic & enjoy working on cars

17. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I agree with the newer is better school of thought for the reasons given, but in addition, with some of the older cars it's getting harder to find parts. With your first Ferrari experience you don't want the car sitting for six weeks while your mechanic searchs for that small electrical part made out of unobtanium.

18. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    well said

19. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    get the newest ferrari you can afford... i have driven most of the ferrari of the past 20 years and the 360 and 550 blow away the older models in all aspects of owner ship and drivablity...the 360 ismore of a fun ,f1 type car whereas the550 is more of a high spee d sn=mooth gt car...355s are also great fun andthe 512 tr are wonderful cars....

20. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Exactly!

DL

21. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    ENZO !! Just kidding. I think rather than looking at it from a model standpoint, the first thing you should do is establish a budget, then reverse engineer it. Within that dollar amount you will probably hav a choice of 3,5 6 or more models. Then you start looking at what's IMPORTANT to you in order of importance. For example: rank styling, performance, maintenance, sex appeal, etc. and then narrow from there. In other words, ANY Ferrari would be a GREAT first Ferrari. You need to decide what is most important to you.

22. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I'm not sure what a "beginner" ferrari means. Is it a budgetary constraint or lack of driving skill? You can do something about the latter, so i'd assume its a money issue, unless you are asking for advice on a "practical" ferrari, or one with lower maintenance costs. While the newer cars will be higher performing, you've got to spend some time figuring out what you want, in light of the cars within your budget. For 348/355 money (75-100k dollars for a top notch example, in good fettle), you also have a range of alternatives, including various 12 cyl. cars (testarossa, boxer, 250 pf, 330 gtc) of differing vintages as well as some 12 cyl . 2+2's (330 GT/ 365 GT/C4).
    I agree that you should buy the best car you can afford (ie the one in the best overall condition and service history), but you have alot of options. If you are buying one of these cars for stomp on it performance, you may be disappointed by the 328, which is in other respects a fabulous car. Given the price slide of 355's and the semi- price stability of 348 spiders, the difference in price is not a great as it was; the 355 is in almost every respect the better car, but i preferred the go-kart like size and lack of power steering of the 328/348.
    Aesthetics plays a part, too as does personal taste. For example, i prefer the boxer to the testarossa, although others disagree.

Keep in mind that buying one to "start," with the expectation that you'll buy another once you get acclimated, will cost you more money in the long run.

You should buy Dean Batchelor's Ferrari Buyer's Guide, which will familiarize you with all these models, in an overview/historical evolutionary way. Then you should spend time poking around, looking, getting rides from other owners at events, and get a better sense of what appeals. I've owned a bunch of 'em and they all have their appeal. I just wouldn't start with the mindset that you should somehow be buying a "lesser" car, simply because it is your first.

23. Ferrari4Life

Ferrari4Life Rookie

Mar 13, 2004
    You must also consider price, as it is probably your largest obstacle. I'd say that a 308 or a 328 would work best, you decide which you prefer. Good luck!!

24. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I would say if a guy never had more than 300 hp in a car then start with something around there. A beginner in an F40 , F50, Enzo or even a 512TR is a scarey thought.

25. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    I recently bought my first Ferrari and went against many peoples thought of what a good"first" Ferrari would be. I looked at 328,355 andTR's. The first time I sat in a Boxer I knew it was the car for me. I dont regret it at all. I would rather have what I really want and not get a car that after several months would want to upgrade for more $. I say get what grabs you in the gut, I never grasped the idea of a first Ferrari.