DB9 vs 612-------------- | FerrariChat

DB9 vs 612--------------

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tonyh, Mar 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  2. Robbo

Robbo Karting

Feb 16, 2004
    No...still the ugly sister. No comparison to the beautiful DB9

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    In the looks dept., i agree . As for performance, i think 612 will have the measure of DB.

4. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    No competition - DB9 wins on looks.

Funny - AM were smart enough to drop Zagato years ago, but when I first saw the 612 I thought it must have been styled by them! Just terrible.

What are those scalloped sides about for a start?? Not to mention the unremarkable arse and lunatic leer at the front...

Dan

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I think the pick of the current crop of new AM range is the "baby" AMV8. Had my name on waiting list for 18 mths.....

6. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    T

Wot's this? Are you planning to loose the Spider?

Stig

7. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Not sure , Stig. See what demand is like for AMV8 first.
    T

8. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    Yep, the DB9 is a lovely looking car..

What's the difference between that and the AMV8 ?

I wonder what it'll do to Vanquish residuals.. There was something not quite right about it.. the mondeo-derived engine did it no favours, or the clunky paddle gears.. or the squarky artificial-sounding exhaust, or the fact that despite being all honeycomb this, lightweight that, it was still a lardy beast.

9. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #9 tonyh, Mar 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    You do remember these are 4-seaters, right?

Who can sit in the back of a "0 to 60mph in less than five seconds and a top speed of 186mph" DB9?
    "There are two shaped seats in the back but they are strictly for small kids. To be honest, this is not a car you will want to share with anyone except your beloved."

Who can sit in the back of a "Fast in a 0-62mph time of 4.2 seconds and top speed of 200mph kind of way" 612?
    "...a genuine four-seater. I could comfortably and happily sit in the back from Land?s End to John O? Groats."

I'm a huge Aston Fan, but it's a shame how the rear seats keep getting less and less useful. If Ferrari took the same approach to 4-seaters, the exterior would likely appeal to more people, but the interior would suffer - in turn, it wouldn't be any more acceptable as a 4-seater than an Aston.

11. Davey S1

Davey S1 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Cardiff, Wales
    Full Name:
    David
    I would take the DB9 over the 612 and buy something fun for the weekends as well.

Never a huge Aston fan due to all the crappy plastic Ford switchgear (I know Ferrari's have used crap Fiat switchgear a lot over the years but Aston has always branded themselves as luxury GT's rather than sportscars)

New DB9 seems to address this though. Hope it sounds as good as the Vanquish

12. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    That's one of Ferrari's big problems, the fact that the 612 will be £180 k while AM is £104 k . What's the betting 1st year depreciation will get the 612 to around AM levels anyway?

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Those were seats back there? Huh, imagine that. I thought it was just additional storage area.

Dr "Seat Time" Tax

14. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I'm a bit confused here....happens alot.....but I thought the DB9 was a replacement for the DB7 and so from price and performance would be in the same class as the 360M or the 996TT.

So a DB9/612 comparison seems a bit odd. Is it to replace the Vanquish? (the car more suited to a 575/612 comparison, depending how many seats you order)

I thought the vanquish was continuing and I've even heard of someone in Italy running a twin supercharged version of the Vanquish (Vanquish Vantage of the future?) with full factory support as a mule/test car.

The AMV8 on the other hand was placed more around Maserati GT and Porsche Carrera area of the market.

Correct me if I'm wrong, as it wouldn't be the first time :)

Cheers
    Simon

15. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I think your comparisons are right. AMV8 will be priced around £75-80 K level , so it's right around high spec 911 money, but a bit over Maser coupe.

16. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    still 612 for me ............!

17. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    When are these new astons due to appear?

18. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    If you want to walk into your garage every morning and be truelly stunned, then it has to be the 612 - no question.

No other car will continually move you to say with all honesty - 'that is the most ugly pile of s***' in the world!' A real achievement.

If, on the other hand, you want to be deadly boring and put up with timeless beauty, it's got to be the AM.

19. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  20. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Yes, but Astons have always been more expensive than their competitors, the Vanquish is more than the Murcie and the 575 and the DB7 about the same as a 360Spyder. One is still paying for that hand crafted nostalgia ....which unfortunately ended with the last V8Vantage. So I think the Maser comparison still fits.

The problem with Astons is they never really ran with the field on a performance level and so to make up for the lack of power they up the price, reduce production and make it a "connoisseurs" choice. Don't get me wrong, I'm an Aston man through and through (but don't tell anyone on this board :) ) and I think the V8 and the DB9 will be fantastic vehicles. Just a pity the DB9 won't be able to keep up with a Gallardo.

Cheers
    Simon

21. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Yes, the back seats are virtually non-existent on the DB9. That's why I see the DB9 Volante as a 550/575 competitior. A two seat (plus a small storage space shaped like seats), front-engine, V-12 drop top is an intoxicating idea, and one that Ferrari has failed to adequately address. Doesn't AM offer the buyer the option of eliminating the back seat? I think they do on the Vanquish.

22. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    I will buy them both for you tony if you help me crack the kit kat code and
    also the phone no's of them babe's in bikins on the centre pages,

Dale.

23. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Id have the Spider over the "9" anyday....Well i would wouldnt I??

24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Bill, that was my thought exactly when I sat in the DB9 in Detroit. It really competes more when the 575 than a 456/612. Be interesting to drive one.