why does my 360 give me resistance going in to 2nd gear | FerrariChat

why does my 360 give me resistance going in to 2nd gear

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Buttuz4eva, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    For some reason when I first get in to the car I let it warm up for about 5 min then I start slow not bringing it up to 4grand yet and when I shift in to second gear there is a little grinding noise now I know how to drive a manual gear box So I know thats not it what could it be it almost feels as if my foot is not all the way down on the clutch but it is so I dont know what it could be the other thing is that it only happens the first 2 times I shift into 2nd gear after that its fine down shifting is fine as well please help me.

2. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    You need to lubricate your gearbox more. Try gentley shifting the car through the gears while it is warming up. This will coat all the gears with some oil to provide for a smoother shift. Then when you get underway, you should have no noises. Hope this helps.

3. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    This is a problem common to Ferrari gearboxes; you're not alone.

When cold, I don't use 2nd; I shift from 1st to 3rd. When the gear lube has warmed up, everything works fine.

Some say that Red Line gear lube seems to solve the problem, but I can't attest to it, as I've never used it.

On the next change, I'll try Red Line.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It may be helpful to have the gear box oil changed. It might be best to consult with your local FNA dealer.

5. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    THANKS GUYS thats a big help next time i will go 1st to third unil warmed up.

6. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I posted the exact problem about two weeks ago with my new 360. I now use the 1 - 3 shift and after just a few minutes, everything is warm enough to use the box normally.

Gary

7. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Is this the "synchro issue." I knew these were common for the predecessor's to the 360. Didn't realize the 360 also had this issue.

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    This is a special Ferrari feature. No other car has this. You paid extra for it. When your car does this you know you are in a Ferrari. Actually,
    just experiment with different gear oils of the proper weight. The list of current winners is

Redline synthetic mixture of two types the proper weight and MTL. Byron had the correct formula that worked well.

Royal purple

mobil1

in no particular order. Often one oil will work great in one car and not so great in another. Try them all. Once you hit the right oil you can almost start driving in 2nd imediately.

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Sound advice, Billybob. Now, some days my car slips into 2nd easily before fully warmed and some days not. I paid even more for that option.

Barry

10. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    First to third works great until warm up and oil tHANKS a million