F-1 Gear display indicator partially burned out | FerrariChat

F-1 Gear display indicator partially burned out

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dino, Mar 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino

Dino Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Diego
    The F-1 gear display indicator on my 355 has a "bar" that is either burned out or shorted out. Thus, the gear numbers, i.e. 3,4,5 etc., are hard to read because one of the "legs" on the LED display is out.

Does anyone have experience with this? Can I buy a new LED display, chip, or does the entire unit need replaced? I'd like to take a shot at this myself.

Thanks for your input

Dino

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Don't say "burned" too loudly in here!

We are in mourning.

Good luck, I'll bet the next poster can help you.

Don't you just keep track in your head, like a Ducati?

3. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    That is so annoying, isn't it? The whole unit must be replaced to the tune of around $400. It includes the coolant gauge below it. Replacement is not too hard, remove the two screws holding the instrument pod on, disconnect a few wires, and unscrew the F1 display/coolant gauge cluster. 30 minutes, tops.

4. mcmurb

mcmurb Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Bart McMurry
    mine is decaying as well - line by line. where is the best place to buy a replacement? thanks in advance

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Another joy of the long term maintenance cost of F1 transmissions.

6. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA

The fine gang at Wide World of Cars treat me very well, and Algar Ferrari also has a great parts department.

7. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
  8. Dino

Dino Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Diego
    How do you get to the F-1 indicator & temp gauge to remove it? In other words, how do you get the whole instrument pod (speedo $ tach etc.) off to get at the F-1 indicator? Do you crawl under the dash and reach up? I could not see any external screws to take off the instrument pod from the top.

I drove to work in 11th gear and the thing was giving me "the bird" by the time I parked....

Dino

9. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    At the bottom of the instrument pod on each side of the steering column there is a screw. They are under the lower "edge" of the pod. May need a flashlight to see them. Remove these 2 screws then pick up the pod and tilt it back toward you to get behind it. CAREFULLY unplug all the connectors on the back of the guages. Once you have worked the dash pod out, look behind it and you will see that by removing 4 screw you can then remove the center group of guages.

10. N24RE

N24RE Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Jones
    Hey guys...just as an FYI I just got in the last of the spare repair parts from my distributor. Anyone wanting to get theirs repaired now is the timeto send them in to me.

Best Regards,

Steven Jones

www.f1design.us

www.sportauto.cc

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

This guy has repaired them for me. I cannot recommend him more highly.