Tracker? | FerrariChat

Tracker?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by felix66, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    Anyone recommend a particular Ferrari friendly tracker service (must be one acceptable to Insurance company and not involve attaching a loud rottweiler to the rear valance!)

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Tracker, NavTrak,Smartnav etc. I have non GPS Tracker on my 355.

3. Blackspider

Blackspider Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    CAN THOUROUGHLY RECOMMEND "TRACKER" MAKE SURE IT IS INSTALLED PROPERLY.

4. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Go for the Tracker Monitor - Should cost about £399 installed + £99 a year for the subscription.

Steve

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Agreed,
    that's what i have, couldn't remember what it was called!

6. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    I've had Tracker Horizon fitted to most of my cars.. it's the same as Tracker Monitor but it's also hooked up to GPS/Satellite.. meaning they can give the exact location of the vehicle to the Police.. not cheap at £600, but worth it.

And I think you get nice insurance discount for having it too

7. ANDYH

ANDYH Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    ANDY H
    I've got the Tracker Monitor fitted as well, and instead of paying around £100 a year subscription, Tracker also give you the option of a one off lifetime membership of around £300 (if I remember correctly) - might save you a small amount of cash if you are going to keep the car for a while. The lifetime membership only applies to the Tracker fitted to the car though, so if you sell and get another car and fit a Tracker, you have to go through the membership payment again.

8. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have a TrakBak fitted to my 355. 24hr service for about £100 pa. Seema very efficient lot. Dunno what it cost to fit as it was fitted for the first owner by the supplying dealer.

Regards

Robert.

9. GOS 348

GOS 348 Karting

Jan 17, 2004
    Edenbridge, Kent
    Full Name:
    Chris Gosling
    Felix

Talk to Thames Car Radio at Egham. They fit alarms and trackers for Maranello and did mine via Talacrest
    Very friendly, real motor enthusiasts, the boss, Richard is atop Mini Miglia racer

10. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    I have found Navtrak much better than Siemens Trakbak having had both.
    I used to get ALOT of false alarms with Trakbak.
    The down side with Navtrak is you have to carry a credit card size smart card around with you, which can be a pain to remember and I think it's a bit more expensive but well worth the extra in my view.

Wazza

11. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Most people do not need to worry about the following, unless your an overly paranoid person :) but just in case your interested:

I did a bit of research into these, and it seems that all GPS and GSM based systems have 'holes'. It seems that a determined criminal could get around both systems (no surprise really - applies to everything) - GPS only works if a satelight can see actually detect the signal from the transmitters - so containers etc get around it. Also GSM-based systems fall over as soon as the car is out of a zone not cover by GSM (can be found out where coverage is lacking I guess).

Also if you know what your doing, the transmitters can be spotted and removed. Most f-cars have trackers - so it your going to steal, your going to look (?)

This is what I have read, but I'm probably missing some vital facts - correct me if I'm wrong!

Proprietary - could be an interesting way forward !!

12. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Check out these boys :

http://www.neatcom.co.uk/

Saw an article in Autocar (?) last week and the system will text you when the alarm goes off, de-activate the car remotely, listen in on the car etc. The system is linked up to your current alarm system and cost about £400.

13. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sorry, can't get my head around this one, if someone nicks your F car, do you REALLY want it back? Untold potential for massive hidden damage to mechanicals etc. I have tracker fitted to my car by previous owner but unless It gets me a MASSIVE % break on my insurance I'm bugg@red if I'm going to spend 100 quid a year to activate it! Its a great device for the insurance companies, I'm not convinced its so great for me.

My insurance company don't care if its activated or not, they are offering no breaks, so I'm sure as heck not offering them one, unless they want to pay the annual fee.