maser vs. ferrari | FerrariChat

maser vs. ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bostonmini, Mar 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Does everyone really see maserati as the poor man's ferrari? I just dont see it that way, perhaps a less expensive alternative to say....a 612 or something, but I dont think most ppl say "the 360 is out of my price range, Ill check a maserati GT coupe" The Ford GT thread said that maser is ferrari's toyota, but I think that it will just become "the gt line"....your thoughts?

2. dalbright

dalbright Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Naples, Italy
    Considering the cars hover around $100k price range, I wouldn't be calling it a poor mans anything!! These cars were made to compete in a totally different class than Ferrari. They are not exotics per say, but luxury autos.

3. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Current Maser line up is surely targetting different market segment from Ferrari. Maser is not poormen's Ferrari now. However, they may be coming out w/ their sports car in the future, too. We'll wait & see what happens. Possibility of collaboration between M & F could be interesting.

Like Porsche Cheyenne (spelling?) & VW Tourag (spelling?), they are basically the same car but different outside. For some, it is totally different because of brand name & outside appearance. That could happen to Maser & Ferrari, too.

Yoshi

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Doesn't Nick Mason call the 275GTB/4 the Poor Man's GTO? :D

--Dan

5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    maser isnt poor mans ferrari but foolish man's sl55.

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Maser drives like a rocket ship. 4.9 0-60 in the spyder with paddles. Drove the copue and spyder, both go like stink. But, they are not a poor man's anything.

When I used that phrase at the dealer, they blanched white and said, "Well, yes I've heard that, but, I don't think that's accurate at all."

And after driving it, they're right.

BTW, I decided to do some more shopping, the current batch of Spyders and coupes depreciate about 30% when you drive them out the door and about 45% in two years.

7. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    That is correct, I just got out of a Benz for an 02 Coupe Cambio and I paid about 45% from new, and it had only 3500 miles. But I will tell you this, it is a much more satisfying driver than my Benz was, you don't see 5 on every corner, the warranty is great and the car is in my opinion gorgeous.

I have three Ferraris and I always wanted a Mondial Coupe as a daily driver, but they are long in the tooth now, so this satisfies that craving at reasonable money and no cam belts to change!

8. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    I viewed the Maser as a chance to own an Italian semi-exotic without the high maintenance costs.

What I got was a great car that's lots of fun, but find that the depreciation eats up the difference in maintenance costs.

Oh well, it's absolutely great to be driving something that's extremely rare - a real treat!

9. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
  10. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I agree 100%

I had looked at those cars on ebay right when this thread started and was pleasantly surprised. I think the convert looks a lot better than the coupe.

1 more car to add to the wish list for now:)

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Just remember the '02 spyder cowl shakes like a bowl of jello.

Interior Rear view mirror is a decoration to help pass inspection, don't expect to use it in traffic.

Drove an '04 and it's better, but still has quite a bit if flexibility/shake reflected in the mirror. In the '04 I drove, you can tell there are cars behind you, but not always which one.

But, the car is a blast to drive, and my kids are bugging the heck out of me to go to the dealer and work out a deal.

12. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    FULLY agree. AVOID the '02 Spyders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

13. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    In this months autocar there is an article on the next 360 modena with photos that they are testing with the Maserati-derived engine. Should be a lesser Ferrari then.

14. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Don't get too excited. The Maserati engine is actually a Ferrari engine from the ground up, designed for use in the Maserati, but always intended, according to rumor, to provide the upgrade path for the 360.

Gary

15. ciao baby

ciao baby Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2004
    DC<---> MB
    Full Name:
    Michael Karagiannis
    for whatever it is worth. Everyone who goes for a ride with me in our new spyder cambio cannot believe just how fast this thing is. Pics do not do it justice and numbers do not do the car justice. it is a stunning performance car that the wife can drive :)