Best way to remove wax from crevices | FerrariChat

Best way to remove wax from crevices

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by peterp, Mar 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Has anybody found a tool or technique to remove old caked wax from crevices and seams? I found a tool with a rubber triangulated knife edge on one side and a detail brush on the other -- this looked promising but doesn't work very well. I also looked in Griot's catalog and didn't see anything specifically for this. Alternatively, is there a safe solvent that disolves old wax?

2. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    If it is a tiny crevice, it can be quit edifficult to remove. I would recommend trying some quick detailer on a q-tip or something of the sort and then trying to remove the old residue that way. Many of the higher end waxes will not provide the chaly residue after waxing. You may want to look into them. Hope this helps.

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

What if you were to take say a pointed wooden stick(popsicle stick type) then wrapped it in a detailing cloth and got into the crevices that way? Obviously make sure that the stick does not poke through. Moisening the cloth might help to dissolve the cakey wax build up. It's got to be better than using your nails right?

4. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I have used a soft bristled toothbrush to get around emblems (sp-?) and in some tight areas before.

5. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

For complicated shapes like emblems I also use a soft toothbrush wrapped in a polishing cloth. Get a cloth with a tight weave so that the bristles are less likely to poke through the weave.

If the popscicle stick trick is too thick, try a pot scraper (a little thin piece of plastic that is about 2"x2") wrapped in the cloth to get in really fine nooks & crannies.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

wax crevace residue is my biggest pet peave!!!! but is very difficult to remove over a whole car. finding the right tools is just as tough. there are times when the only way to fully remove the wax is to take the car apart.

it os good to use masking tape to tape up the cracks prior to even waxing. it takes a bit of tme in the start, but will save in the end.

7. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
    Try a wash cloth and some VERY VERY hot water, like giving your car a facial :). Let the cloth sit over the area a while to soften the wax. Then anything will pretty much wipe it out. Qtips, the pt scrubber edge wrapped in a thin towel works too. Best of luck.

Kyle

8. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the hot h20 thing sounds like a really good idea! thanks.

pcb

9. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    You are talking about cars here aren't you because I think the ladies use their nails to remove wax from their crevices

10. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I will either sometimes let my fingernails grow out a little and then put a thin terry cloth between my fingernails and the car. Or you could use a toothpick and dull the end a little and put a terry cloth over that as well.

11. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Have her sit in the hot tub with you for about 1/2 hour.

12. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Do not use brushes of any kind even if they say they’re made for removing wax from crevices, as they will scratch. The best thing is to just fold a towel or micro fiber cloth and slide up and down in the crevice. The heat idea is good and makes sense.

If you want to see what you’re really doing to your surface put 1000-watt fluorescents on the car while waxing.

DrewH

13. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
    Yea light helps :) Just no incandescent. The heat stinks. The hot water should do the trick for you though.

Kyle

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Yes, but it's worth it.

15. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    someones witty.

16. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Use a toothpick with a tiny wad of toilet paper on the tip. Tiny as in having a footprint smaller than a dime.

17. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    LOL :D

18. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I use a soft horse hair brush. Sounds nutty, but that's what it said on the packaging. It works really nice and it doesn't scratch.

19. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for the great suggestions. I will try the hot water and quick detailer to see how they work as solvents. I will also try the cloth over brush and pot scrubber approach to see if that works. I had been trying microfiber over the triangulated knife rubber detail tool and it doesn't seem to work. I am quite careful when I wax and use P21S wax (which doesn't leave much residue), so I think that this is wax I inherited when purchasing the car and it must be several years old. I'm really very surprised that nobody seems to make a tool specifically for this purpose.