Made the leap yesterday-98 550 | FerrariChat

Made the leap yesterday-98 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by riverflyer, Mar 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    #1 riverflyer, Mar 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So far all I can say, is these cars are so mesmerizing in person and up close. I have seen them on the road and gawked them at the dealer but to really get down with it and think about buying it, wow. Our negotiations took place in front of a Ferrari shop that had just inspected the car and lasted several hours with multiple test drives, and discussions and faxes with the former owner in addition to the present one. And often while on one hand being super critical of any and all flaws, I would look up and just lose myself in the lines on the car, especially the so flowing rear quarter section.
    My last car was a blown Viper that was a true beauty. 700 hp, black, loud, very very fast and very sinister! Beautiful in its own right and a blast to drive, but much more work, much much less refined. The 550 is like butter, just so smooth and linear in its power delivery. I was able to put only about 80 miles on it and left it at Fof SF for service. The service history is spotty and although the car runs very strong and only has 6200k on it, it is a s. cal and arizona car and the heat and sun have taken a toll on some of the rubber so I figured the belts might also be a bit brittle or prone to wear so "better $afe than $orry in this case. Can't wait to really get her out on some open roads though, but first, I am going to go top to bottom and fix everything she needs so I can drive with complete peace of mind(or as much as a 6 year old car can offer). This is very exciting and I thank so many f chatters who have offered help and answers to the many questions I have posted and to the board in general for the great wealth of info available here.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Congratulations-especially nice interior!

3. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Congrats!!!

She's BEAUTIFUL!!!!

4. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    #4 riverflyer, Mar 12, 2004
  5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Congrats. You'll love the car. Also don't forget to ask the Ferrari Dealer about the Power 1 warranty.

DrTax

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nice interior! Congrats!

7. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Dr TAx, I want you to know that more than once, I thought of your positive love for this model car and you are so right. Very nicely balanced car with awesome power and so readily available. In addition, such a beautiful package. The only reason I am here to write this, is because she is in the shop, otherwise, I would be out driving!! thanks again for your help

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    John: sorry I missed you until it was too late. Major congrats on the purchase! When do you expect FoSF to have her out? Talk to Brett if he's there, tell him you're a friend of mine, and that he better show you some love! :D

And then join us on the next drive!

--Dan

9. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    John,

First off, congratulations! I saw this car when it was being offered on eBay, and I'm glad somebody bought it. I looked into it briefly when I was seriously considering a 550 (especially given the Titanium color), but did not get a response from the owner, so didn't pursue it. You clearly had better luck. :)

Thought I remember this being a Euro -- is that true?

Probably the smartest thing said on this board today. :D Good luck with it, let us know when she's out, and post many, many pictures, for the car is a beauty.

10. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well done Riverflyer - the 550 is my dream Ferrari and yours is a beauty. Enjoy her in good health!

Regards,
    Joe

11. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    John, it's a stunning car! I am thinking of buying a used 550 myself. You don't have to answer this question, but what did you pay for the car? It would help me and others in determining the true market versus the artificial one like the one found in the Ferrari Market Letter.

Thanks John.

12. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #12 writerguy, Mar 12, 2004
  13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Geeze, how can he miss....

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That was a good pic of your new "car lot" too!

Your cover is blown!

15. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    No, US model

16. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    That was a Kodak moment in Texas.

Congratulations.

So much car for so little.

Enjoy her.

17. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    great car, great color, you will love it...ferrari rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Mike, lets just say the price was even better than I had hoped for. If you want to pm me we can talk about it in more detail. John

19. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Jim - is that really Dale? What was the occasion? Where can I find the thread/more pics? Thanks.

Regards,
    Joe

20. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Look under Texas for Italian Festival of speed or under GFD for Took the Maranello on the track...

Yup that is Dale "duck if you see it coming" Tax

21. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    What a great color combination, congradulations.

22. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    It's simply stunning. I'm envious......Congrats.

23. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Good for you. I had 2 550's and enjoyed them immensely. The silver/tan is also a more European throwback combo, which i really like. Get a Valentine, some fresh tires and after some serious fettling by a knowledgeable mechanic, drive that monster some distances on back roads. (I took my first one from NYC to Maine right after i took delivery. It helped me acclimate to the car, too, since you don't really get to know it in local, short hops). Biggest suprise: the power steering at low speeds. Nicest feature: the level of comfort for such a high performance car, yet still very involving to drive, not like any other "GT" i had ever experienced, where the trade-off for luxury created a disconnect with roadfeel.
    Oh, and watch the low clearance in front on things like parking dividers. Enjoy.

24. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks all, and Whart, shes got new rubber and you can bet the back roads are the first place we well be heading once the service is done. I am having a major jones just thinking about it!!

25. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    RiverFly,
    Great car! Congratulations on owning a beautiful Ferrari. Have a fun time.
    Stay in the fast lane,
    Jim