Everyday engine cleaner? | FerrariChat

Everyday engine cleaner?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Boxer12, Nov 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    What would you recommend for an everyday spray on type engine cleaner? Is it ok to use the selfemulsifying "Gunk" Engine Degreaser on a regular basis? Is there something better?

Here is my boggle...I spent all summer detailing the engine, then took it recently for a 6 hour drive in the rain. Just for the heck of it, as I wanted to see what the car was like on chilly wet slick curvy roads. Now the engine is covered with road grime. I don't want to spend all winter detailing it with EngineBrite and tootbrush. It is not a show car, but I want it to look nice when I do display it.

2. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    You do not want to use anything too harsh on your engine components, especially the rubber gaskets and hoses. I usually use P21S all purpose cleaner. The engine will always get dusty no matter how you drive, it is a fact of life. Here is how I usually clean engines...

-Cover the electronics and other critical areas with plastic bags and do a quick rinse of the engine.
    -Then go over it with P21S and a sponge or toothbrush:).
    -Rinse again and then dry immediatley (pull off platic bags after drying).
    -Run the engine for 5-10 minutes
    -The go over the engine with some sort of cleaner or protectant of your choosing

Hope this helps.

3. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    you can also try a product called Formula 88. Its very inexpensive; less than $5 per gallon and can also be used for other cleaning purposes. great also for cleaning brake dust on the wheels. it is not a harsh chemical. you can find it at Discount Auto Parts and Home Depot.

4. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    Gunk should not hurt the engine components no matter how much you use it. But really, I only use gunk to get oil and stuff off the engine. If it is just dust and dirt I would just hit it with an all-purpose cleaner or car wash.

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Since most all of Ferrari engines are painted, you do not need to use anything that is too strong. I just use car wash soap and water on mine every time I wash the car and it seems to work fine.

6. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Thanks for the input. I guess I am just reluctant to intentionally spray water in the engine bay since I associate water with 'bad.' I think there must be some less corrosive alternatives.

You lost me on this last one. Why cleaner again, and what kind of 'protectant' are you talking about?

7. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Boxer12:

By cleaner I meant a specific plastic/rubber dressing you like to use. Coat the plastic and rubber parts with it, then buff off. You can also use a spray wax on parts you want to shine a but better. Hope this helps.

8. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    A trick from my detailer ... use regular tire cleaner (the foaming type) ... spray it everywhere (literally) ... after it dissipates, wipe/buff everything. The rubber will look great (of course), and all the metal will shine. This works, of course, on engines that are generally clean, and well cared for.

9. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Hmm, spray on, wipe off. I like the sound of that! (I knew there had to be a trick of some kind.)

10. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Try Griots Garage engine cleaner. Worked on my 308 and it's safe on rubber etc.

11. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Foamy engine brite is just fine. All the stuff you buy is close in formulation; i.e., usually has propane, isobutane, 2-butoxyethanol and various "petrolleum distillates," and that's irrespective of who's name is on the label. I use the foamy engine brite stuff 1. b/c it doesn't nearly stink as badly --and for as long-- as the reg engine brite, and 2. it's non-flammable (or purported to be such), which is usually a good thing around heat, engines and ignition sources. I've been using it on my car for the last 5 yrs, and haven't notice any appreicable deterioration of any coolant hose, ac lines or plastic pieces nor gaskets.
    hth's,
    hubert.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    time correction

13. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I use Simple Green on a hot engine. Spray on, hose off.

14. Skidplate

Skidplate Rookie

Nov 16, 2003
    Spray on tire foam and blow off extra with shop-vac. No need to wipe. Very easy and works very well.