oil cooler fan for a 328 | FerrariChat

oil cooler fan for a 328

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by martinlaw, Mar 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. martinlaw

martinlaw Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Hello Everyone,

Has anybody fitted an electric cooling fan to the oil cooler (a very 'thin' fan).

On track days the oil temperature is constantly going way too high and I figure a small fan sucking more air through the oil cooler may help the problem.

Appreciate any advice.

Many Thanks.

2. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    When i replaced my 328s cooler last year, i noticed the left hand side air scoop feeds air to the cooler. I dont think anymore air could be feed through the cooler with a fan that will be that small, as well as haveing the problem of refitting the shroud that encases the oil cooler. I think you should replace the cooler first with new and check the thermo stat.Or relocate with bigger cooler.

3. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This has been discussed here before. I have the same problem on my 328 when at the track. I think the problem lies in the fact that the cooler "cools" by the ram air effect through the scoop. However, at a track,you never have that constant velocity and volume of air that you would see while on the HWY at a steady 60+ because you are constantly off and on the brakes and gas and turning. A motorcycle riding friend suggested a MC cooling fan. He said he thinks Honda's use a 12v cooling fan on some of their bikes. This would be the size needed due to lack of room. As summer approaches, I'll have to investigate this further.

Dave

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Looking at the diagrams, there is no t-stat on the oil lines on a 328. I don't think they use one on any of their cars...yet. Or do they?

There are plenty of fans that you could arrange for a "puller" effect, that would work. The motorcycle option sounds good. I have a Kawasaki 600 ninja with a tiny thermostatically controlled fan for the radiator.

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Search the archives (Old Fchat Tech I think). There's a photo of a 'puller' fan installation from a year or so ago.

6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky