Emissions | FerrariChat

Emissions

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by spike308, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    DAMMIT!
    had the 308 less than 7 months, and the state wants to smog it!
    It passed in Colorado about 1 year ago, so probably will be fine... but the thought of one of those monkeys screwing around in my baby gives me a headache.

I recall someone posting something about an exemption.
    PLEASE enlighten me!
    thanks

2. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    I know what you mean, i been waiting to get one of those things also in the mail... When i had my car at Continental a couple weeks ago for it's major service, they did a polution test for me and everything looks ok...

They told me if you don't want those monkeys running your car, when you get there, they told me to just go into the office and request a stand alone test, that is the old way, remember when we would stay in our car and they would just put something in the exhaust pipe.

Just tell them you want to see a copy of thier insurance policy and your insurance doesn't cover anyone under 30 to drive the car. It might get them a bit nervious to they may let you stay in your car and just sniff it...

I think the waiver is for antique or show cars????

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ask Bob Campen on how to get the excemption. It is possible. Although with my insurance company I couldn't pull it off. Problem is, how do you explain the fender bender on the way to your local Jewel?

Once the car is 25 years old you can apply for Antiques plates and that will take care of the emissions test. I'm counting and waiting.

My next emissions test is up in December. Already fearing it. Not so much because of the guy driving the car, but because failure really is not an option.
    :(

4. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Yes, once your ride gets past the 25 year mark you no longer have to get it's butt sniffed. (8->}

If your car has OBD most of the time they simply hook up a computer link to your car, no "rolling road" (dyno) test unless the puter finds a problem.

If they have to do the dyno - You can refuse to let them drive the car, talk to a supervisor and emphasize or exaggerate the extent of the liability they are assuming.

Some things that can help if you think that your car is borderline (just in case they do a dyno) :

Drive it on the expressway for 10 - 20 miles directly before you go there - this makes sure that the engine and cat are quite sufficiently warmed up and the cat is somewhat cleaned out before the sniffing begins.

Run the fuel tank real low, way low, try to leave about 1-2 gallons, then add a few bottles of 90% ispropyl alcohol - this reduces the HC's, it wont run it's best (a little lean) but it can help.

DO NOT shut the motor off while waiting (try to catch them on a day that there are no lines) - keep that engine and cat warm.

Good luck!

5. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Spike
    There is a way. Send me an email/PM and I'll pass on what I've been told has worked.
    Philip

6. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Yup, Bill and Philip are correct!

Just tell them you want a stand-alone, where they don't drive the car, and it doesn't go on the dyno.

I've never had a problem, and I drive the car. All they'll do is sniff it and test the gas cap.

7. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Go to any emisions test station, and ask for a race /show car exemtions form. Key is a limited use ins. policy, you will need to send a copy with the form

8. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    The 25 year thing is only an out if you have antique plates on your car. I've been through this multiple times with my '73 Dino and my '69 Mangusta. (Neither has antique plates.) Fortunately the testing is so loose I've never had a problem with either car passing the test. And my experience is that the test guys are just as nervous about sitting in your car as you are letting them do it. So far they've all treated the cars like priceless treasures. (Of course I stand there and make them empty their pockets before sitting their bums on the leather, and I sit with a calculated stare and relate to them how much a transmission rebuild costs before they lay a hand on the shifter.)

9. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    My favorite testing story- the last time I was in, the guys were concerned that the 512 would overheat during the test so they very carefully pulled both fans to the front of the car and turned them on high. They couldn't understand why I was standing there laughing at them.

Is it spring out there yet?

10. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Bob-
    is there a mileage limit for the state?? I have "specialty" insurance for the car, limit is 5K (??). Will this suffice??

Daryl - you are on my list of hero's... a Mangusta AND a Dino! I'd love to see them...

11. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    I've always had mine written for 2500/3000 and never any hassel, may as well try it

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The sad part with my insurance is, that they don't let me go lower than 7,000 miles a year. Heck you would have to put a gun to my head to drive any vehicle 3,000 miles a year. Just not what I do.

13. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    I have had an exemption on my '83 308 for 3 yrs. Unfortunately one of the cats burned up when a rotor broke.

Very easy. You can get a form from the emmissions office. I think you might be able to get it online? All you need is to change you insurance card to antique and collectible policy. Basically the same policy but with a few restrictions including milage. I went straight through my existing carrier (USAA). YOu send a declaration page with you applicatin and get a 2 year exemption.

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,I've had to endure 2 Emissions tests on my '81 308 so far. Both times.I sat in the Passenger seat...all 6'2" 300# of me.(working on that Weight number. Lost 15# in the past 3 weeks already.:) ) And,nicely mentioned to the young man that I've never heard the gears "Scratch" ever...not even once. They plugged the test instruments in the pipes and it passed on idle. Test over. But,then again. My car only has 18,000 miles on it.