308 GTSi wine | FerrariChat

308 GTSi wine

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Cooly0, Mar 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    I recently just joined the club and changed my oil at my home. Two nights later I am driving up here in wisconsin and it's in about 20's - 30's and at around 3-4.5 RPMs I here a odd wine. It increases as I accelerate. It is not around if I stay at a steady speed. It does not wine when I rev the engine and does not start until at least in 2/3 rd gear. My obvious guess is that it is the transmission. It is a '80. Could any body inform me as to what and why the sound is being created. Thanks for the info

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Sounds like a belt or bearing. You might be able to narrow it down with a mechanics stethescope...

Btw, it is "whine", not "wine". Wine we drink, Whine is what I do... :)

3. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    oops, :) It wasnt the same sound. I was first thinking belt too but is wasnt really that close to what I heard when my Alternator belt went; and hten comes the question of the why only in 2nd and above, and cant remember if it's in 6th or not. It would make a sound in first as well, and that's when it would be the worst because it would be slipping the most to the higher acceleration.

4. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Are you SURE you emptied engine oil and not the gearbox? Don't laugh, it's been done! The sound my be from a dry gearbox.

5. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    Yea, I'm sure, I am about to check the transmission lube and end up having to jack the thing up again and change that too.

6. seschroeder

seschroeder Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    I wasn't aware that a 308 GTSi had a six speed box. My 82 is only five.

7. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    I meant by 2nd and higher gears. :)

8. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    New Update: Also When I am driving and I am slowing down in 2nd, it works it's way out and Jumps OUT of Gear! The noise is most prevalent in 4th

9. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    hmm..... Im starting to get a bad feeling I was a moron and did drain the trans fluid, I was thinking when I thought I changed my oil and thought that It was taking a little less than I thought.

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    If so, you certainly won't do that again. As peters said - it wouldn't be the first time someone's done this. Good luck.

11. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    Now the question is, How do I get the Transmission oil in there, I remember it being very hard, and in the work shop manual it does not say how

12. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Cool..I think you F#@ked up bad. Popping out of gear is not good. I will send you a side email.

13. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  14. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Here's from the Ferrari shop manual. It says that if there is whining while accelerating, to top off oil. It says nothing about a remedy if no oil. I think I'd have a pro look at it. It could be an expensive mistake. :(

15. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    If it is doing what you said, it's probably too late to add fluid. I sent you an IM with my Ph #. You should call me.

16. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    I was Lucky.

17. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    CoolyO..It was nice to talk to you last evening. From your post, it sounds that you have have caught things in time. Keep a close ear out for grinding sounds in the near furtue. You may not want to take any long trips for 200-400 miles.

18. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Can somebody provide an update on this situation? I've been wondering about this poor gentleman's problem for the last 24 hours. Was it indeed the gearbox that drained?

-Daniel

19. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    Yes, gear box had been drained, but caught things just in time

20. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Did you overfill the engine then?

21. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    And people wonder why cars with service records from reputable shops command such a premium!

If your car was whining and popping out of gear . . . well, let's just say I don't want to be the next buyer . . .

22. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    Thanks for the helpful comment

23. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    That pisses me off. I do all of mine own work on all of my 308s and my 348. What the hell. I do very good work. I have helped many others with their cars even on this site and you are going to tell me my car is worth less because I do my own work and some guy just because he works for a dealership and services the car makes it worth more? That is stupid. One of my cars was completely dealer serviced and I saw some cut corners but I will say it was worse with another car that was an indep. service shop.
    Come on. This shop was auth. service but wasn't a dealership and put in just the top of the thermostat on a 308 thinking that coolant flow would still go through the rad. This was what many consider a reputable shop. Not meaning to start an arguement but I work on my own cars very hard and that kind of attitude just pisses me off. My favorite is that your in the Tech. Section. Why even bother coming in this section if you only prefer over priced dealer service. Go get screwed and have substandard work performed. Needed to vent.