What is the 15 k service? | FerrariChat

What is the 15 k service?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by robiferretti, Mar 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    what are the specifics of the 15 k service? is there a list of specific actions during this? i am curious is this is something a DIY guy can do?

2. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    It is mostly fluid changes and 'inspections' of various parts. Pretty easy DIY stuff. The list should be in your owner's manual. If you lost the manual, log onto the Ferrari Owner's website where you can download many of the manuals.

https://www.owners.ferrari.com/cgi-bin/Feros/os/jsp/01_0_login.jsp

3. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    I just had it done on my 348, so I can tell you exactly.

All fluids changed, valve adjustment, timing belt changed, hoses inspected. Brakes inspected. there ar a couple of seals, can't remember which ones that are changed. Cost $4,000 - $5,000

4. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    wow, kinda glad i turn my own wrenches! when i pick up a ferrari i WILL be servicing it myself, thats a lot of $! will have to pick up the FSM's though :)

5. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Timing belts are not part of the 15K service. They need replacement at 30K miles or 5-7 years. The seals were done to either repair leaks or as preventative maintenance 'while he was in there', they do not require replacement due to mileage.

PDFs of the service manuals can be found on e-bay and a few vendors. They usually go for between $185 and $200.

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Funny you should post that. I saw that quote and immediately went to my PDF's too. 15K seems pretty soon to change the belts unless the car is sitting idle for a LONG time. Sheesh... the belts I wear with my jeans might last longer than the ones in the car.

-Daniel

7. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    The recommended timing belt changes on these cars is simply a Ferrari-sponsored ruse intended to subsidize the Ferrari dealership service departments. I've known many F-cars to go a quarter century on the same belt(s). Risky? Sure...or is it? Let's say you defer 3 or 4 of those $7,000 to $10,000 services, then "ker plunk", you have to rebuild the engine after 75,000 miles. Do the math.

Heck, I say dropping that engine out of the car every 3 years (Ferrari's latest recommendation) and jacking with the belts and stuff carries a measureable degree of risk in and of itself - the risk of not putting something back together right, faulty "new" materials replacing the working materials, etc.

You can be dang certain that I will do my obligatory "belt service" before I ever sell my car, but not because the car will need it - rather because the buyer will probably insist on it.

8. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    yeah i just can't see a $5000 service every 14 months (if you drive the car at all) for $20,000 (4 services) its worth taking a mechanics course and learning your motor LOL

Materials for the service probably total around $300-$500
    Labor $4500 OUCH!

9. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Really Good Point!

10. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i totally agree, it is rare for a ferrari to break its belts...or any car after 3 years...why did they change the recommendation from 5 to 3 years....any mechanic will tell you that is ridicoulous unless they make money off it....this is just to make profit for the dealerships as they dont sell a large volume of cars!!!!!

11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Early 348s were a more wearing on the belts then any other fcar due to mechanical design.

12. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Mine is a 92 with 5,600 miles. Nothing had been done. Timing belts were due, and to say it'a a 30k service my be true, but the TIME to do it is all over the map. Ask 10 people, get 10 answers. It's up to the owner, no one knows when they'll break. You have to soothe your own piece of mind.

13. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim