Building new garage -- dimensions? | FerrariChat

Building new garage -- dimensions?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by CarreraScott, Mar 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    #1 CarreraScott, Mar 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Searched but couldn't find good answers. I'm building a new detached 3 car garage (with a lift = 4 cars).

So I'm trying to figure out how wide I should make the garage to accomodate 3 cars (width), and how big the 3 garage doors should be. Right now the plan is the width of the garage would be 36' and each door would be 9' wide x 8' high. Depth of the garage is 24'. Ceiling height will be 12' to accomodate a lift.

Cars to live in it will be 2000 Porsche 911 cab, 2003 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 2004 Mercedes CLK500 cab, and maybe a Dino 246GT (fingers crossed).

Any suggestions? I don't have any size restrictions per se except I don't want to make it too gargantuan.

Here's an initial (ROUGH) drawing of it -- it will have 2 seperated back rooms for a play area for the kids and a workout area for us.

Thanks for any advice!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    What program did you use for the drawings, Very nice.

3. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Definitely 9 ft wide for single doors! Any Contractor
    installing 8 ft wide Garage doors should be shot!
    Checkout DJ's (Spasso), he's just finishing his.
    He's probably got some good tips since he just
    went through the process. His looks great!

ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9449
    (Building My New Shop, FINALLY!)

Chuck

4. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i'm bullding a 3-car garage also. i have some size constraints so mine will only be 31.5 feet wide and 22.5 feet deep and 10 feet high. this will be adequate, but not as "roomy" as yours :) i will have two garage doors: a double wide door 17.5 feet and a single door 9 feet. i have an existing garage that i remodeled a coupel years ago. i used insulated garage doors and genie "stealth" door operators (belt drive not a chain). they work very well and they are very quiet :)

i also bulit-in an air compressor and plumbed the garage with copper air lines and hose bibs strategically located throughout the garage.

i installed a lot of lights in the ceiling so i have plenty of light to work on the cars in the evening.

i also have a telephone int he garage...comes in handy :)

i painted the floor with a medium gray epoxy paint.

5. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Chuck is right, 8' doors don't cut it. My viper cleared edges by just inches with mirrors out. My garage is 25' wide for two cars so I would think 37' would be nice but 40 would give you lots of room and not crowd things(think door dings, esp with kids). Looks great in the plans, wish I had made mine high enough for a lift. Ahhh hindsight!

6. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Thanks those are very rough. Its using Chief Architect 9.5 -- $1500 program but if you are affiliated with a University you can get it for around $400. Really heavy duty software. I'll post more pics when I get it more finely tuned.

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/

7. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    You might double check the dimensions front to back for adaquate room. The front of your longest vehicle should probably be a minimum of two feet from the garage door and with your rear wall cabinets you'll need a comfortable amount of room between them and the back of the vehicle. I have a inside depth of 27' and that leaves me with decent room to circulate behind the cars. I have never complained about having too much room but I have regretted not having enough. Maybe visit someone's garage or a small shop with dimensions close to yours and see how it feels to you. That's what I did before I unleashed the builders. Sometimes what seems reasonable on paper doesn't turn out that great in real life.

8. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The house I am getting ready to build right now will have an attached 4 car garage. It will be 24' deep by 44' wide with 2 double wide doors. I figured that 11' wide for each car would give plenty enough room between them.

Dave

9. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    For the lift, height is the answer. I am currently building a house with an L-shaped 3+1 car garage. I am raising the cornice on the single garage by 18" to easily accomodate a lift. You would be amazed how much 18" looks like. It is framed now and if you would like a pic to see how much higher it appears, I can shoot a photo and email you. Let me know.

10. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Chief Architect also

11. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Doug please do drop me an email at [email protected].
    Thx!

12. isellpower

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Sorry, not trying to hijack. You should have a single 9' wide and an 18' wide double. they should be at a minimun 8' tall. I'm sure many of you have 7's. You should have at least 4' on the far left and right of each garage door.

13. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Think we're going with 3 single doors, 9' wide and 8' high. All will close up to the 12' ceiling to accomodate future lifts, just in case :).

Did you do those Chief Architect plans of the house?

14. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    I just finished my garage. The ceiling height is 11 ft, 12 would be better. The width is 35 ft with 3 seperate 9ft wide by 10 ft high doors. I love the doors and wouldnt make them any lower, and there seems to be plenty of room for cars side by side. I also made it 40ft deep so I can park 2 deep. My only regret is not making it 4 wide.

15. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Correct spelling is "adequate" in my post. My mental spell checker was off!

16. Steve Darrah

Steve Darrah Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stephen C. Darrah
    Am in the process of completing a new home and wanted,for once, to have the garage done right! We have 2 garages.I wanted to be able to have 3 cars parked inside and be able to open the doors on two cars and have 3 feet betwwen the open doors of each."My" garage is 52 ft. wide and 27 feet deep with 3 doors 10 feet wide and 8 feet high. The height is only 9 feet due to design constraints above the garage.The lighting will be a combination of flourescent and track lighting for work and show.The floor is stamped concrete in a 3'x4' diamond pattern.My wife's 2 car garage is 12feet high, so she gets the lift!Will try to post pictures when this is all done in Sept-Oct.

17. isellpower

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason

Sorry, the sketch you gave had a double and a single. Sometimes the double is nice. I do many larger homes with a 4 car with 2 doubles. Do you think that the 12' ceilings are enough for a lift? don't forget that's just a 4' concrete wall with an 8' framed wall on top of it, basically standard. Go with footings, then the standard 4' concrete wall then 10' framed wall. That should keep you from crushing the top car into the ceiling.

Yes, I did some of the work on those homes. I have an in-house architect and designer. The designer is 20 and some of his work is on their web site. both of those homes are under construction at this time.