F40 Oil Leak Photos | FerrariChat

F40 Oil Leak Photos

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Steve, Mar 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    I am working on purchasing an F40 from a private party in NY, and had the car inspected by Wide World of Cars.

The compression test, leakdown, and inspection report came back mostly clean, except for a note that says:

"Slight oil leak left valve cover / cam area"

I asked the seller (a private party) to email me a photo of the area, and I got the following:

http://ferrari.stevejenkins.com/downloads/104_0444.JPG

http://ferrari.stevejenkins.com/downloads/104_0445.JPG

http://ferrari.stevejenkins.com/downloads/104_0446.JPG

I forwarded the photos to a local mechanic that I know, and he replied:

"Steve - left you a voicemail. Regarding the oil leak on the F40: as you can see on the photo, the leak is caused by an "O" ring behind the cam seal and also from the cam cover gasket on that corner (may be pinched or ripped). Its been leaking on the alternator and also on photo 0444 its been leaking onto the frame. The leak has been there a while and will get worse, not better. Please call me at the shop next week after you roadtest and look at it. We can discuss more."

Any experts want to chime in as to what they are seeing? The service manager at WWoC seemed to think it's an issue that wouldn't need to be addressed until the next "major" - but my gut is telling me to second some second (and third) opinions.

Comments?

2. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    I'm no F40 expert, but as far as I can tell, all of the V8 engines are similar from many years. I think that on some of the later V8 engines, there was a cover over the alternator that is designed to prevent oil from leaking into it?

The front covers of the F40 can be accessed and removed by accessing them from behind the seats, right? Seems like this repair would not cost more than a timing belt replacement job, which is actually sounds easier on the F40 than on a 308...

If this is the biggest problem they can find, then it sounds like a great car!

-Wayne

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    It's an easy repair.

Get the car, replace belts, tensioners, cam seals and cover gaskets. Do service and enjoy!

4. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Steve -

The guys a WWC are stand up guys. Call them and get there take on it. As long as the oil is not dripping on the belts, I don't see a serious problem. Also depends on your budget and when next schuduled service is due...in other words can you live with it until the next service. I know that if I see a drip of oil under my car I go nuts...like a pebble in your shoe...but by the looks of the pix I does not seem to present a mechanical danger at this time.

5. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Steve,
    My car leaks in the same places. ferrarifixer is right on here. Actually, I did an oil change with the factory oil and the leak slowed way down. The car had sat for a while. I am going to do a 30K and fix it then.

Enjoy,
    Rick
    PS. Say Hi to Mike and Ron for me. Let me know how it dynos.

6. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

First i would like to say I am No Expert.

I would just like to say that the leak does not appear to be getting on the cam belts, which would be a big problem.

If you have owned any Ferrari's before, you will most likely be aware that they leak(or as they say, seep) oil.

If you purchase the car, and it bothers you, then by all means get the Cam seals and cam cover gasket changed. But I would not really worry about it untill it starts dripping on my garage floor. As I said before, almost every Ferrari has some leak or seepage.

Good Luck on the F40... I wish I could have one..

7. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    As the others have said, a very minor/common problem. I would get the car, clean the area, drive and Monitor the extent of the leak.
    As long as it it just a minor seepage, and it does not drip onto the alternator, You can wait untill the next service.
    If it is dripping, easy fix and at worst case timing belt service with seals which is quite easy on the F40.

Sounds like a great car....get it and enjoy....

best regards, Jim